Lammas/Lughnasad is just around the corner!

I am planning out my Lammas altar, and I am going to try something new. Has anyone ever dried corn with the husk? I looked things up, but I’m not getting the answer I need. I am not going to eat the corn. I will have it on my altar and then put it out for the squirrels to eat when I’m done. I peeled the husk back and removed most of the silk, but I’m not sure how this is going to work out. I am only attempting to dry 2 right now, because I don’t know what I’m doing. We have such high humidity I don’t want them to mold. :corn:

9 Likes

I’m not sure if you can dry it with the husk still on it… :thinking: most of the resources I’ve seen online have said to peel the husk off before drying it, and that it can take up to 10 hours for them to dry completely.

I’ll keep doing some digging and see if I can find anything else for you! :corn:

7 Likes

I have it outside on a wooden crate with slats. I am going to put it in the sun during the day and bring it in at night when it gets super humid ( and raccoons and opossums are out) . Not sure how this is going to go.

8 Likes

I did peel the husks back to expose the corn.

8 Likes

At least you’re trying! :blush: That’s a good thing, in my opinion. If it’s an option, you might try using your oven at a low temp for a few hours. I know here, we try not to use the oven if we can help it because it heats up the whole downstairs :laughing: but if all else fails, it might be worth a shot!

8 Likes

Here is my before

I definitely don’t want to turn the oven on. Lol! As the husks dry, I will peel them back someone. If I accidentally leave them outside, they won’t be there in the morning. Lol! :raccoon:

9 Likes

I’m sure they’ll dry just fine if you leave them out for a few hours a day in the sun. I look forward to hearing about your progress! :clap:

and I don’t blame you for not wanting to turn ont he oven lol

8 Likes

They look great, Ostara! :corn::sparkles:

I’ve also never seen corn dried with the husk on- it’s always either just the corn itself or like you’re doing here (with the husks peeled back). Seems like the best way to prevent mold and make sure it all dries nicely.

I hope your corn turns out perfectly (and that no little furry neighborhood friends have themselves a crunchy snack! :raccoon: :chipmunk: :raven: :laughing: )

Keep us updated- I’d love to see how they turn out! :heart: :blush:

7 Likes

Most of the ‘recipes’ say to use a dehydrator or oven as @MeganB suggested. For air drying, here’s what I found @Ostara ….I can’t wait to hear / see your results!!

“ Harvest the corn cobs after the husks turn dry and brown. Bend the ear down toward the stalk, breaking it free with a twisting motion.

Peel back the husks from the corn ears. Cut the husks off at the base or leave them attached for ornamental purposes.

Spread the ears of corn in a single layer on a large screen. Set the screen up on bricks or sawhorses so air can circulate freely around the corn.

Dry the corn in a warm, well-ventilated area for seven days. Turn the cobs daily so all sides dry evenly.

Press your fingernail into the corn kernels. Fully dried corn is hard and won’t dent. Dry for an additional three to five days if your nail leaves an imprint in the kernel.”

6 Likes

Thank you Jan! I guess I’m doing it right. Lol!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.