Lilac Honey Posit for Beltane

This is on my bucket list to make someday!

Lilac Honey Posset

Makes about 6 portions.

INGREDIENTS

• 4 cups cream (heavy or regular whipping cream both work)
  • ½ cup honey
  • ⅓ cup lemon juice
  • 2 cups fresh lilac blossoms (be sure to remove all stems, especially from the Lilac & Elderflower…and if you’re using lavender, you’ll need just half a cup!)
  • wee pinch of salt & cardamom (if you’re so inclined)

INSTRUCTIONS

Night Before

• Remove all stems from half of your lilac blossoms. Warm some cream (just above room temperature) and then soak the blossoms in cream, allowing them to cool and infuse overnight. If in a rush gently warm on in a saucepan on the lowest heat or warm on a warming burner. No longer than an hour. Remove from heat.
  • Strain lilacs from cream before using.

Next Day

• Remove the rest of the petals of the rest of your blossoms. (You could do all the petals at once but I like to keep the blossoms as fresh as possible.)
  • Mix honey and cream together, heat to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Stir to make sure honey and cream are well combined. You do not want a roiling boil – just a few light bubbles. A heavy boil will spoil the cream!
  • Reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes, and keep stirring! Then add lemon juice and stir some more.
  • Remove from heat, let cool slightly, and then mix in the other half of your blossoms. Allow to infuse for ten minutes.
  • Strain off flowers and pour your cream mixture into small jars or ramekins.
  • Cover tightly and chill overnight (or at least 4 hours).

Some say you can stick in the freezer for 30-40 minutes (if you’re in rush to sample your just desserts) but I generally have found they won’t decently set unless left for 24 hrs.

20180422_170657-001

9 Likes

It looks so nice, I’d want to keep it like that. :grin:

6 Likes

Can you make it and send me some? :grin:

6 Likes

I’m going to have a go. It looks divine :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Let me know how it turns out!

6 Likes

The lilacs are just starting to bud here! What a fun way to use the flowers :purple_heart:

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Ostara! :blush:

5 Likes