Litha Cake? What do you think? Oh it’s gluten free too!

My husband and I run a cooking school and this is one of the recipes from our “Honey both Sweet and Savory” class I thought it would be a great cake to celebrate Litha…what do you think?? I have added Thyme and Crystalized ginger for Litha…I may even add some fresh Lavender from my garden!

Honey Polenta Cake

1 cup butter, softened, plus extra for greasing

¾ cup sugar

3 tablespoons honey, plus ¼ cup more for glaze

2 teaspoons lemon juice

3 large eggs

1 ¼ cups fine polenta

2 cups almond flour

Some diced crystalized ginger (for Litha optional)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

3 sprigs fresh rosemary (for glaze)<<<<<and Thyme for Litha??

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Use butter and sugar to grease an 8-inch round spring-form cake pan.

In a large bowl, beat the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the honey, lemon juice and beat again until pale. Mix the eggs in one at a time.

Mix the polenta with the almond flour, baking powder (crystalized ginger if you want) and salt, then add a large tablespoon of this mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well.

Continue to whisk in the dry ingredients blending until you have a thick batter. Spoon this into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 30 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 20 minutes longer, or until the cake is golden and risen and a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

Heat ¼ cup of honey with the rosemary (and thyme if you want for Litha) in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey begins to thin.

Place the warm cake, still in its pan on a wire rack and, using a skewer, make holes in the top. Strain the warm honey and rosemary syrup over the cake so that it soaks into the cake. Let the cake and honey cool to room temperature. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and serve with Greek yogurt or crème fraiche.

9 Likes

Wow, what a gorgeous recipe! :star_struck: I tried polenta for the first time while I was in Italy and I have to admit it wasn’t my favorite dish :sweat_smile: But adding honey changes the game- I’d be willing to give something like this a try! :yum:

I think Crystalized Ginger makes a wonderfully sweet addition and pairs nicely with the honey :honey_pot: :heart: But I’m not sure about adding Thyme as well, as it may distract from the flavor of the Rosemary. I guess it depends on taste preferences and where you’d like the dish to fall on the sweet vs. savory scale :balance_scale:

A really lovely recipe- thanks so much for sharing, @malinda! :sparkles:

2 Likes