Lugh: Anyone have insight into this Celtic deity?

Hello, I am seeking information on Lugh and wondering if anyone has insight on this Celtic deity?

14 Likes

@Sebastien here you will find some information :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pentagram:

12 Likes

I have found this link to YouTube: Lugh Lamhfada

11 Likes

Kindly thank you!

10 Likes

If anyone else comes to search in the future, I also found this link: The Cult of Lugh

11 Likes

thank you very much! :pentagram: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pentagram:

11 Likes

Hello @Sebastien!

It looks like the lovely @AIRAM shared some wonderful resources - the only other thing that comes to mind for Lugh is His celebration and importance during the Sabbat Lughnasadh. Here are two resources about the holiday in case you’re interested - there may be some insight about the deity there!

Wishing you all the best with your studies- blessed be! :sparkles: :ear_of_rice:

6 Likes

Lugh is a fascinating deity in Celtic mythology, no matter which Celtic region you’re looking at! As “Lugh”, he is an Irish deity known as Lugh of the Long-Arm or Lugh of Many Skills.

I don’t have a blog post about him to share but I did read the Pagan Portals book Lugh by Morgan Daimler and it was fantastic. I did a review on my website if you’d like to read it!

Do you have any specific questions about him? I may be able to help point you in the right direction since Celtic mythology can get all scrambled up :laughing:

Oh, I also found this video by Jon from The Irish Pagan School about Lugh. This channel and school is a wonderful and reputable resource for Irish Paganism and mythology!

6 Likes

Hi Sebastien,
Here some more information on Lugh the Celtic deity:

Legacy: Lughnasa & Beyond

Lugh gave his name to the important festival held each first day of August in Ireland, Lughnasa (or Lughnasadh). Connected to the beginning of the harvest, the festival was similarly celebrated in other Celtic cultures but went by other names. In the Irish version, Lugh dedicates the festival to his foster-mother Tailtiu as part of her funeral ceremony. Besides celebrating the ripening of grain and maturing of potatoes, the occasion was marked by horse races, weapons contests, and other sports. Adherents often climbed hills where they gathered berries and said prayers.

Lugh’s name also lived on in many place names in [Europe], especially [Roman]settlements such as Lugdunum (Lyon) in France and Luguvallium (Carlisle) in the United Kingdom. He was, too, the origin of the name Lugaid, which was adopted by many heroic figures in later Irish history. Such was his wide appeal; Lugh was even adopted by early Christian writers who transformed him into the archangel Michael. Lugh’s stature diminished over time until he was eventually transformed into Lugh-chromain, meaning ‘stooping Lugh’ as he now inhabited the underground world of sidh where all the other gods were relegated to as the people forgot their traditions and embraced new religions. From there, Lugh became 'leprechaun, the diminutive fairy-goblin who guards hidden treasure in Irish folklore.

Blessed Be,
Medea

Source

(Leprechaun - World History Encyclopedia)', the diminutive fairy-goblin who guards hidden treasure in Irish folklore.

Cartwright, M. (2021, January 29). Lugh. World History Encyclopedia . Retrieved from Lugh - World History Encyclopedia

7 Likes

YouTube is where I look

5 Likes