Lughnasadh Beer Bread

3 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 can or bottle dark beer (12 ounces)

Mix together all three ingredients in a medium bowl, then transfer to a greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

11 Likes

Sounds good, @Ostara! Thanks for the recipe!

6 Likes

Seems too easy! :grinning: I will have to try it.

6 Likes

Does it have to be dark beer? Does the dark beer flavor stay in the bread?

6 Likes

I never have dark beer in the house unless my son comes to visit. I always use regular beer and it turns out good. When the temperature drops some I am going to try it with the dark beer. It’s to hot to bake in this Texas heat. If you don’t have self rising flower, you can use regular with 4 teaspoons of baking powder and a little salt.

6 Likes

Great tip! I don’t have self rising flour. Now I can try it today without going to the store!

7 Likes

Does it cool if at night? Where I am in rural Nevada the temperatures drop at night. I am awake in the wee hours wondering if baking will wake my household up.

7 Likes

It gets down in the 70’s at night, but then I’m to tired to bake!

6 Likes

It is 57 right now and will get to the low 90s this afternoon. We have been blessed with rainy afternoons this week and I love baking when it rains.

7 Likes

Our highs have been in the triple digits for 2 months. I’m excited that we have a 40 percent chance of rain today. Everything is so dry.

7 Likes

You know it’s time for the “Bread Sabbat” when the forum fills with tasty bread recipes and baking discussions- hooray! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, @Ostara! :heart::bread:

9 Likes

@Ostara, would this work in a bread machine? I was excited that it was mostly overcast today here in Houston. We only got up to 93F with a heat index of 102F.

6 Likes

Not fair, I’m north of you and we had 105 heat index. Lol! It did sprinkle for a good 15 minutes this evening.

I’m not sure if it would work in a bread machine. There are so many beer bread recipes out there. I have made it several times but always in the winter when it’s cold. I got that recipe in 1993 when my neighbor came over to borrow a can of beer! I had looked up Lughnasadh celebrations and found the same recipe. Lol! I always pour melted butter on it when I take it out of the oven. It is a heavy bread.

8 Likes

We have the wind off the Gulf to help keep us a little cooler! My parents are in Hearne and mom said it was triple digits. Heck I just check their current temp and it’s still 95F!

I’ll Google bread machine beer recipes. My husband reminded me that I had one in storage yesterday so I can make bread without heating up the whole house.

7 Likes

Good idea with the bread machine. The heat and drought this year is awful!

6 Likes

Yes! We’ve had red flags warning here in Houston and it’s confused people, lol. Most Houstonians have no idea what it means. Growing up in central Texas, I know all too well.

6 Likes

We are having large grass fires in our county everyday.

5 Likes

The fires on the news are very scary- we have some locally here in MA, but they are mostly building fires (not forest or grassland fires) that get put out pretty quickly. Still very scary to see, but nothing compared to other parts of the US :worried:

To @Ostara, @Amaris_Bane, and everyone with heat warnings and droughts- please stay safe! You are all in my thoughts :pray::heart:

(It also makes me wonder why “Bread Sabbat” is at the worst time of year to be firing up the ovens :sweat_smile:)

7 Likes

This bread is amazing! Easy to make and tasty. It is a sweet bread. We made another loaf because it was so easy and we have the 3 ingredients are in hand.

10 Likes

That looks yummy, @crystal5! Enjoy! :bread: :two_hearts:

7 Likes