Magic w/o Incense?

Hey all!

I’m wondering if anyone else has issues with using incense in their work? Since I was a child, the smell has caused me headaches, nausea and general malaise… Am I the only one? Does anyone have suggestions, substitutions, even similar experiences? I feel like I’m missing out on a significant piece of the magical puzzle.

10 Likes

@wellie hi, I have know lots of people that become ill if it is burned around them. If you feel like you are missing out on something you could try burning the dried herbs on a charcoal disc In a burner or your cauldron. If the spell calls for lavender incense just use dried lavender. I hope that helps

8 Likes

Thanks @crystal24!

5 Likes

Your very welcome :blush:

7 Likes

You could use an essential oil diffuser inatead

7 Likes

Came to also suggest what @phoenix_dawn said. If I’m missing a specific incense scent, I usually will just substitute incense for an essential oil in the diffuser. Maybe give that a try as long as it doesn’t irritate you. Good luck!

4 Likes

@SilverBear created a recipe for a cleansing mist to substitute incense and many other
magical mixtures and blends, there’s a quick list here: Working with Oils!

You can also harness the energy of the herbs traditionally burned as incense (frankincense, myrrh, cedar, sage, etc) with a diffuser as mentioned above, or rubbing the essential oil on a candle and burning the candle :candle:

8 Likes

Thanks all for the tips! I do have a couple of oil diffusers and essential oils in the house, and will try and substitute.

4 Likes

I have an issue using incense because of family members that have asthma. I use an oil burner. There are also sprays. I love making them…

7 Likes

Incense definitely isn’t required to practice magic. It’s one of those things that most people use for its properties but also because it creates a general atmosphere conducive to magic. However, you can substitute that with whatever you want. I don’t burn incense every day and, if I need to do a quick cleansing, I’ll use one of my smokeless cleansing techniques. I also don’t burn scented candles for the same reason you mentioned about incense. Something about them just gives me sinus trouble :woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

Exactly I totally agree with you. You can use a bottle spray with water and lavender diluted or water it self, if good on visualization, to visualize a white light moving around your space, cleansing. Even sound with bowls does the job.

7 Likes

Have to add LBRP in this list, it helps to clear your chakras. Is like a energetic boost to yourself and the place. The good part of this procedure is that it can be performed more than ones

6 Likes

Great tips, all! Using oils had occurred to me, but I was worried about their effectiveness vs the smoky “clearing” aspect of incense. You’ve made me more confident about substitutions without sacrifice!

5 Likes

I was thinking that the other day but forgot to ask. I suffer from asthma and other respiratory problems. I try to not use incense too close to me cause it makes me feel bad almost immediately, so thank you for bringing that up!

I don’t know if an humidifier works as well, I’m also vegan and I always try to not use things that affect the environment, and it looks like that is the less damaging way to clense/bring smells to a place.

Thanks also to everyone for the ideas!

6 Likes

Hi wellie, there is absolutely no reason for you to subject yourself to something that you’re allergic to or makes you feel bad. When I first Joined we discussed making Florida water as a means of cleansing, the ingredients are simple and shouldn’t be too irritating.
FYI:
In a 2008 study, published in The FASEB Journal (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology), researchers reported findings that burning Frankincense (resin from the Boswellia plant) activates poorly understood ion channels in the brain that alleviate anxiety & depression and elevate mood. In other words, the wise men really were on to something – Frankincense is a gentle, natural antidepressant.²

But in my practice, it’s just ceremonial, I like the smell of Frankincense and the musks. But under no circumstances would I burn Eucalyptus! Not only does it stink but gives me a headache. I agree with the travelingWitch “fire safety” IN fact I’ve started using incense matches. You light it and in less than a minute, it’s out
Our house is 660 sq ft. an incense stick would fumigate the place. Be careful and Best blessing to you.
Garnet

4 Likes

Well as a disclaimer, I haven’t been practicing long. That said, I didn’t use incense at all until about two months ago, and even now I don’t use it every time. I think of incense as something of an intensifier or enhancement rather as being primary to either ritual or spellwork. It can “set the mood,” and aids our work in the same way that casting on certain days or times of day or times of the year does.

But I don’t forego casting a spell or doing a ritual just because it isn’t Samhain, and you don’t need to feel that you miss out if you don’t use incense. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Hey there! I hope you’re doing well and staying safe and healthy! As others have said, incense definitely isn’t essential in magickal workings — I’ve maybe used it in my practice maybe a total of 4 or 5 times, and when I did, I used palo santo (make sure it’s ethically sourced!!) and frankincense resin.

I avoid most incense since (1) I, too, have allergies and asthma, and (2) I feel like most store-bought incense has too much artificial crap in it, and if I’m going to be exposing myself to smoke, I want it to be as natural and “healthy” as possible.

While I’m on the topic of burning resins and other herbs, I wouldn’t recommend it if your respiratory problems are any worse than my asthma, but I would think that burning herbs would be at least more natural than most incense, if that counts for anything.

HOWEVER, please be careful which herbs you burn and who you burn them around, as not all herbs are safe to breathe in as smoke, and :warning: TRIGGER / CONTENT WARNING: pregnancy safety warning follows :warning: some herbs are not safe around those who are nursing, pregnant, or trying to get pregnant, as they can cause harm to unborn babies and potentially even induce miscarriages. However, I’m no expert, so I’d suggest doing your own research to make sure you’re making healthy choices that fit with your individual needs and beliefs.

Essential oil diffusers are a great alternative as others have suggested, at least from my experience. The smell is much more mild and much less obtrusive, and you’re not breathing in smoke. Please keep in mind, however, that some essential oils should not be used around pets and young children.

TLDR: Incense is not necessary, and there are other alternatives, but please always do research to ensure you’re staying safe and healthy :green_heart:

4 Likes