Magickal Names - How do you choose?

About a year ago or maybe longer I had a dream, the dream was just wow!! Anyways people were calling me moon tear… I have looked that up and came up with nothing… could this be my magical name?

11 Likes

I think “Moon Tear” is a beautiful name, @jodie2! The meaning of a magickal name is sacred and personal, so no worries if you couldn’t find anything about it in a search. If it is a name that resonates strongly with you, then yes- I think it could be your magickal name :blush:

11 Likes

I’ve never heard of the concept of magickal names so this was very informative to me. I also loved reading Lady Althaea’s experience too. Hmmm this one may take some time, but I’ll be opening to receiving a magickal name! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

OMG, I got another math headache! Decided (out of shear laziness) to call myself Garnet. It’s my birthstone.
If I went by my dreams it would be (Run Away, ,Run Away!) Night terrors.

14 Likes

I was always called sage Grandma’s moonbeam by my Grandmother; so I know go by Sage Moonbeam.

14 Likes

May a beautiful and meaningful magickal name come to you when the time is right, @robin77! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Feel free to share it when you feel you’ve found the one for you! :raised_hands:

Garnet is a gorgeous name, @Garnet! Enjoy your new witchy name :heart:

A lovely name, @elizabeth7! :full_moon: I think it is wonderful that the name Sage Moonbeam connects you with your grandmother :two_hearts:

For anyone on the hunt for a witchy name, I was putting together this week’s Merry Meet Monday news post and learned that this Friday (April 9th) is a national day called Name Yourself Day :scroll:

The energy may be good to do a meditation or deep soul dive as you search for a new name! :grin:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

16 Likes

My real name is Lisa (English version) and I recently found out through my studies into rune magick that the Liisa has Norse Origins. I’m a Norse Pagan as well as a witch so i thought ir very fitting for me :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Garnet is beautiful…much better than the latter one! ha ha

10 Likes

I have a question about cultural appropriation. When I picked my pen name for fan fic writing I wanted to use my witchy name. Which is Amethyst. But there were a hundred and one thousand Amethysts around and I wanted to be different, so I just used a Babblefish and translated it to Japanese, because I was in a big anime mood at the time.

Now I realize I probably shouldn’t have done that, but I’ve been Amejisuto, or Ame for so long, I answer to it in real life. Can you use another language as your witchy name? Or am I messing it up? I wouldn’t want to offend people.

11 Likes

Interesting question! It’s an open ended argument because there will be different opinions and views regarding cultural appropriation or appreciation.

My rule of thumb is: Are you profiting from using that name/concept? Are you using it to obtain an advantage or privilege (economic, political, social)? Are you exploiting someone in the process?

Another approach would be to ask a Japanese person directly. Personally, I imagine that the person would feel honored or at least joyful that you chose a name out of admiration for their language/culture.

16 Likes

That’s a really important thing to consider when choosing a name- thanks for bringing it up, @Amethyst! :+1: Cultural appropriation can be a pretty controversial subject, but I think Francisco summed it up wonderfully.

If it helps, Kasie, I have attended numerous cultural activities with JASSO and the Japan Society - groups formed with the goal of supporting cross-cultural exchange and promoting Japanese culture and language.

While I am not Japanese and cannot speak for those that are, my experiences living in Japan and studying there have shown me that Japanese people tend to take great pride and enjoy when others respectfully pursue Japanese culture and language :+1:

Across the board, it is always a good idea to take a deep look and research a word when considering it as a name- not just it’s meaning in English, but also it’s cultural/linguistic importance. Words have power, after all- names can have a lot more to them than what first meets the eye! :blush:

15 Likes

I’m not profiting or anything, I just truly thought the translation was beautiful. I’ve never claimed to be Japanese or anything.

I’m glad because I really am attached to the name now, even my email address has this name in it. I’d hate to go and switch all my emails to it. Let that be a lesson to you folks, think carefully. I don’t think I would have chosen it today.

12 Likes

I think that’s acceptable, @Amethyst, especially since you answered Francisco’s questions and you’re not profiting from it or anything. It’s just a name in another language, I believe. Then again, I’m not Japanese so I can’t speak for them.

:point_up: This is good advice.

11 Likes

I wonder if there are any Japanese lurkers here who would help me out. Direct Messsage me if you don’t feel like talking on the forum!

10 Likes

I found a name that I resonated with from before I had children & that I can resonate with relating to my life’s path over the last 5 years and the last year or so especially. I found Siofra by accident when I was looking up some things about Ireland & my Irish heritage. It started with a subscription box ad for Irish at Heart that I declined but I was looking that the different items & their meanings from past boxes. This led me down a rabbit hole & I found the name Siofra, it’s a more modern Irish name starting around the 18th century & means changeling & is closely related to fairies through the lore & heritage of Ireland & the name. I have a more in-depth synopsis in my weekly challenge entry Wizardry of Words Weekly Challenge Entry. I am now using that name within the coven!

11 Likes

I’ve been looking at magical names over the last few days with numerology as a starting point, and trying to find something meaningful to me.

I have blue hair and rainbows are important to me given their association with LGBT+. I was very pleased to discover that Iris means both blue and rainbow, and it’s already a name I love. But from a numerology perspective wasn’t ideally compatible with my birthday on its own so I looked at suitable second names.

I love crows and ravens, you could say they’re my spirit animal. I considered obvious corvid based names before stumbling across Wolfram which I immediately liked.

In Cheiro numerology Iris Wolfram is compatible with my birthday and it feels right. So that’s what I’ve chosen. Is it possible to change my username to match? I can’t see an option to do so under preferences…

13 Likes

I’ve been drawn to the moon and people with moon related second names (Moon, Selene, Luna) without knowing as a form of synchronicity way before my witchy awakening… We consider each other sisters with my very first partner now, who’s come to use Moon as a last name, so… I’m honoring that connection by having the same last name as a magickal name! :purple_heart: :crescent_moon:

My second name is Celestia, and I think Celestia Moon would sound beautiful and meaningful… maybe a little grandiose but that’s not necessarily a bad thing? I’ve been waiting for a nudge of synchronicity or something to pick it up, maybe this could be it… :white_heart:

11 Likes

Oh no! I’ve had one night terror in my life’ and I’ll never forget it! It was like I could hear myself In My dream screaming at the top of my lungs and see me trying to move and get out of there’ but then In real life/time I was just moaning and barley moving! It was so scary’ & I was crying In Both my dream and my bed & finally my Boyfriend realized I was struggling and woke me up. But I’ll never forget it, so I’m gonna do another dream peace sleep for you and I . :cupid: hope it gets better for ya! :pray:t3:
Hey’ but just keep swimming :wink:

6 Likes

@CelestiaMoon that is a gorgeous craft name!

8 Likes

@Rowan Thank you, I love yours too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :fire:

9 Likes