Magickal Names - How do you choose?

Interesting question! It’s an open ended argument because there will be different opinions and views regarding cultural appropriation or appreciation.

My rule of thumb is: Are you profiting from using that name/concept? Are you using it to obtain an advantage or privilege (economic, political, social)? Are you exploiting someone in the process?

Another approach would be to ask a Japanese person directly. Personally, I imagine that the person would feel honored or at least joyful that you chose a name out of admiration for their language/culture.

16 Likes

That’s a really important thing to consider when choosing a name- thanks for bringing it up, @Amethyst! :+1: Cultural appropriation can be a pretty controversial subject, but I think Francisco summed it up wonderfully.

If it helps, Kasie, I have attended numerous cultural activities with JASSO and the Japan Society - groups formed with the goal of supporting cross-cultural exchange and promoting Japanese culture and language.

While I am not Japanese and cannot speak for those that are, my experiences living in Japan and studying there have shown me that Japanese people tend to take great pride and enjoy when others respectfully pursue Japanese culture and language :+1:

Across the board, it is always a good idea to take a deep look and research a word when considering it as a name- not just it’s meaning in English, but also it’s cultural/linguistic importance. Words have power, after all- names can have a lot more to them than what first meets the eye! :blush:

15 Likes

I’m not profiting or anything, I just truly thought the translation was beautiful. I’ve never claimed to be Japanese or anything.

I’m glad because I really am attached to the name now, even my email address has this name in it. I’d hate to go and switch all my emails to it. Let that be a lesson to you folks, think carefully. I don’t think I would have chosen it today.

12 Likes

I think that’s acceptable, @Amethyst, especially since you answered Francisco’s questions and you’re not profiting from it or anything. It’s just a name in another language, I believe. Then again, I’m not Japanese so I can’t speak for them.

:point_up: This is good advice.

11 Likes

I wonder if there are any Japanese lurkers here who would help me out. Direct Messsage me if you don’t feel like talking on the forum!

10 Likes

I found a name that I resonated with from before I had children & that I can resonate with relating to my life’s path over the last 5 years and the last year or so especially. I found Siofra by accident when I was looking up some things about Ireland & my Irish heritage. It started with a subscription box ad for Irish at Heart that I declined but I was looking that the different items & their meanings from past boxes. This led me down a rabbit hole & I found the name Siofra, it’s a more modern Irish name starting around the 18th century & means changeling & is closely related to fairies through the lore & heritage of Ireland & the name. I have a more in-depth synopsis in my weekly challenge entry Wizardry of Words Weekly Challenge Entry. I am now using that name within the coven!

11 Likes

I’ve been looking at magical names over the last few days with numerology as a starting point, and trying to find something meaningful to me.

I have blue hair and rainbows are important to me given their association with LGBT+. I was very pleased to discover that Iris means both blue and rainbow, and it’s already a name I love. But from a numerology perspective wasn’t ideally compatible with my birthday on its own so I looked at suitable second names.

I love crows and ravens, you could say they’re my spirit animal. I considered obvious corvid based names before stumbling across Wolfram which I immediately liked.

In Cheiro numerology Iris Wolfram is compatible with my birthday and it feels right. So that’s what I’ve chosen. Is it possible to change my username to match? I can’t see an option to do so under preferences…

13 Likes

I’ve been drawn to the moon and people with moon related second names (Moon, Selene, Luna) without knowing as a form of synchronicity way before my witchy awakening… We consider each other sisters with my very first partner now, who’s come to use Moon as a last name, so… I’m honoring that connection by having the same last name as a magickal name! :purple_heart: :crescent_moon:

My second name is Celestia, and I think Celestia Moon would sound beautiful and meaningful… maybe a little grandiose but that’s not necessarily a bad thing? I’ve been waiting for a nudge of synchronicity or something to pick it up, maybe this could be it… :white_heart:

11 Likes

Oh no! I’ve had one night terror in my life’ and I’ll never forget it! It was like I could hear myself In My dream screaming at the top of my lungs and see me trying to move and get out of there’ but then In real life/time I was just moaning and barley moving! It was so scary’ & I was crying In Both my dream and my bed & finally my Boyfriend realized I was struggling and woke me up. But I’ll never forget it, so I’m gonna do another dream peace sleep for you and I . :cupid: hope it gets better for ya! :pray:t3:
Hey’ but just keep swimming :wink:

6 Likes

@CelestiaMoon that is a gorgeous craft name!

8 Likes

@Rowan Thank you, I love yours too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :fire:

9 Likes

Thank you! :hugs:

9 Likes

Congrats on finding your magickal names @Susurrus and @IrisW! :partying_face: :sparkles: It sounds like the names found you both after years of building up meaning- they both suit you well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Celestia Moon is a gorgeous name, @CelestiaMoon. If you feel in your heart that it things have aligned, this is the name for you, and would like to update your username- feel free to give a shoutout and a moderator can help you make the switch :blush:

10 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
It does feel more and more like it’s meant to be and that now is the perfect time, I would love to have my user name updated!

11 Likes

Congratulations @CelestiaMoon on your new name! That’s a beautiful name, it reminds me of the Celestine Revelation, and also there’s a bird in my country called Celestino which is really beautiful:

13 Likes

My magickal name was chosen for me. While on our recent trip to Arizona I saw the name for the town of Magdelena; I instantly had the thought in my head that was my name. it means woman from Magdela but also was the name of who I believe and come to understand was Jesus’ wife, Mary Magdelene. Also since I follow numerology and my birth number is 9 I used the formula and found that Magdelina is also a 9 so it was chosen for me. So my magickal name is Magdelina.

So now — how do I change my name for the forum? I checked in preferences but there isn’t an edit button next to my user name :confused: :roll_eyes: :unamused:

8 Likes

Congrats on your new magickal name, @Magdelina! :partying_face: It is a beautiful name that suits you well- enjoy! :hearts:

8 Likes

I’m still coming up with nothing :expressionless: I’m thinking that maybe I’m overthinking or trying to force it too much lol. Something pops in my head and I question if it’s just me trying to make it seem like it was a divine thought SMH lol I’m not going to dwell on it for a few weeks and hopefully between now and then I’ll know something. I know it’ll come, I just am impatient! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

thanks @BryWisteria. It’s kind of fun having a secret name within the coven lol.

7 Likes

Dont worry @robin77 , something will definitely come up :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it will happen when you least expect it too.

9 Likes