Making Candles today!

Making and dressing candles today, a lot cheaper than buying beeswax ones, plus its relaxing. The pink mat is the silicone dough rolling mat I got from Wish, one side I use for rolling pie dough or making bread. It sticks to a surface and does not move, and is easily washed love it.! I I get my wax from Amazon…

6 Likes

One day I’m going to learn how to roll candles. For now, I just recycle my tealight tins and create new candles that way.

2 Likes

So easy this is my first time and so much cheaper than buying. Quite relaxing too.

2 Likes

That’s great! Do you have any recommendations for a candle wax brand?

2 Likes

I have quite a lot of wax rests from burnt out candles (mainly from those scented candles that come in a glass jar). Could I just melt it all together to make new candles? It seems like such a waste to just throw it out…

3 Likes

Yes you can. Put your candles in a double boiler, or in a pan that is sitting in another. Put water in both pans, turn it on low to melt the wax…then you can add it all to one mixture and reuse

2 Likes

Magic Cabin Beeswax Candle Rolling Kit with Decorating Ideas, in Bright Colors

by Magic Cabin

This is the one I got, but they have several this is the first time I have ever rolled candles, it is so easy, the heat from your hands softens it.

2 Likes

Absolutely! You just need candle wicks :slight_smile: I do this all the time with my leftover candle bits and tea light tins.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips, I’ll have to try it soon :blush:
and @MeganB, what do you do with the tea light tins? Do you just reuse them again to hold the new tea lights? I always feel bad because using tea lights often (which I do) generates quite a bit of waste…

3 Likes

wash them out (tealights) smudge and refill! OR you can use them on top of charcoal to slowing smoke resins…

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I do @christine4! There’s no need for all those tins to go to waste, especially if you buy the big bag like I do…because tealights are what I use most often. Also! If they are the aluminum tealight tins and you don’t want to reuse them, you can get the wax out of them, and then the aluminum is recyclable!

2 Likes

Hi! Can you make candles using a perfume? For Samhain I would like to use candles and add them my grandfather’s perfume. This would make me very happy! Or is better to dress up the candle with it instead of making with that scent?

Thank you and blessed be!

2 Likes

That’s a great question and one I don’t think I’ve ever considered before! I’m not a candle-making expert so out of curiosity I went on a bit of a search and found an article by HouseFragrance explaining the potential dangers of using perfume in candles.

The article says that alcohol-based perfumes are a fire hazard and that they don’t make a stable ingredient for candles- it sounds like oil-based materials work better in mixes and make sturdier and longer-lasting candles :candle:

Again, I’m not a candle-making expert- I imagine coven members who do make their own candles will have some more wisdom and advice for you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This might work in small amounts, although the Candle Dressing Guide also specifies oils to dress the candle. Rubbing any alcohol-based product on it may become a fire hazard :fire::worried:

But that’s not to say you can’t include the perfume in your Samhain rituals at all! You could light your candles and then spray the perfume (a safe distance away from the flames) as part of the ritual. I imagine the smell would be a very powerful component of the spellwork :sparkles:

Whatever you choose to do, wishing you good luck and a blessed Samhain, @SpanishWitchy! :heart:

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. I did a little research and the perfume I wanted to use is alcohol based. I guess I’ll spray it as you suggested, and I will bring him again for a moment :heart:

Thank you so much and blessed be!

2 Likes

May you enjoy some heartfelt time with your grandfather- I hope the visit goes well :heart::blush:

Lots of love and blessed be! :sparkles:

2 Likes