Manuscript Listing

Hi dear witches :heart:
I like to show you old manuscripts, spells, runes, galdrastafir, etc. which are on the Icelandic page, many interesting & fun things.
hugs & kisses Erla :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Please correct this if this is not in the right place :upside_down_face:)

8 Likes

What an awesome resource! I appreciate that the website has an automatic switch into English, although it doesn’t look like it can translate the historical books. Even so, they are beautiful to see - such lovely writing!

Thank you very much for sharing the recommended books, @erla1! :pray: :books: :sparkles:

9 Likes

It didn’t do that for me, I got it in Icelandic I think :thinking:, it’s a sign, Loki wants me to learn his lingo :rofl:

Anyway, I screenshot one of the old docs

Aren’t they fabulous :sparkling_heart: I love these old manuscripts. Thankyou @erla1 for sharing this. Looks like I’m going to have to get some language classes going next. :grin:

10 Likes

It’s probably the Google translator I use - it can be a bit finicky sometimes, but other times it does a pretty decent job at translating pages into English!

The site also has its own translator built in - if you click on the upper right area, you’ll see “IS” “EN” and “DA”. If you click on the “EN”, it’ll switch the site (but not the pictures of the books) into English :grinning:

Actually, forget what I put above - I bet you’re right! :laughing:

Looks like it’s time for you to open up Duolingo or Rosetta Stone and start studying :open_book: :nerd_face: :sparkles: (It would be so cool to speak Icelandic! :star_struck: )

6 Likes

you teach me computers and I teach you Icelandic @tracyS :heart:
Thanks so much for bringing this dear @BryWisteria :heart:

7 Likes

61. Dream letters. Engrave these letters on silver or white leather on the night of the Ionian Mass, whoever sleeps on them dreams what he wants while the sun is setting.
62. Sleeping thorn. Carve these letters on oak and stick them under the head of the person who is to sleep and he will not wake up until it is taken.
63. We wake up and have bad dreams. Engrave these letters on charcoal with a magnetic iron.
64. Sticks against prey. Carve them on an oak tree and fasten them above the door of the sheepfold.

7 Likes

@erla1 I love these. Like sigils. :green_heart:
I think I may try to learn one of the languages of the Norse. I keep getting intuition to learn German, Norwegian or Icelandic. I’ll have to pick the easiest lol :rofl:, I think you’re language is very hard but maybe I’ll download Duolingo and have a go. :grin:

6 Likes

69.Jonaser’s gem. To hurt a man with spirit. It is not given anywhere except in Greek according to Snorri’s heading.
70. David’s seal. To bear against evil spirits, the errata is Jesus Christ, the runes amen. L.H is the catch mark of Christ in a wrong font.
71 & 72. Road sign. Anyone who wears these letters will not get lost in storms and bad weather, even if he is young. (I have this tattooed on my right shoulder since I was 22 years old)

6 Likes

please learn Icelandic, then there is a reason for us to visit each other :heart:

7 Likes

Snorri Sturluson wrote these manuscripts and Christianity was being forced on Icelanders. But he nevertheless guarded a lot of spells and other important things.

7 Likes

33 posts were split to a new topic: Language Learning