1 cup chopped walnut halves, toasted

For the frosting

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

Step 1

Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat two 9-inch round cake pans (2 inches deep) with cooking spray. Line bottoms with parchment paper; lightly coat parchment with cooking spray. Flour parchment and sides (tapping out excess); set aside.

Step 2

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer beat butter and brown sugar on high until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. With the mixer on medium-high, add maple syrup in a slow, steady stream. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with milk, beating well after each addition and scraping down bowl as needed. Fold in walnuts.

Step 3

Divide batter between pans; firmly tap pans on a flat surface several times to remove air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans on wire racks, for 15 minutes, then invert onto racks; peel off parchment. Invert cakes again and let cool completely on racks. With a serrated knife, trim the domed top from each cake to make a flat surface.

Step 4

Make the frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter, and brown sugar on high until light and fluffy, 5 minutes. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.

Step 5

Assemble the cake: Place one layer, top side up, on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread top evenly with 1 1/2 cups frosting. Top with second layer, top side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and around the sides of the cake.

Cook’s Notes:

Use walnut halves to create a decorative trim on the top of the cake.

Refrigerate frosted cake in an airtight container, up to 1 day. Let cake sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.

Grade A maple syrup is lighter in flavor than darker, more robust Grade B; both will work in this recipe.

Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart.

8 Likes

This sounds so yummy! I have never made layered cakes with round pans. I need to try someday! :cake:

4 Likes

They’re fun! You have to level them off and you get to eat that small bit of cake that you level off. Yum!

2 Likes

Yeah that would definitely be fun lol
:laughing::fork_and_knife::cake:

3 Likes

Do you ever see something and know, with 100% certainty, that you could eat the entire thing single-handedly? That’s me with this recipe :joy::+1:

Another perfect tasty treat for the season- thanks so much, @Amethyst! :maple_leaf: :sparkles:

3 Likes

You’re welcome! Although I don’t think your body will thank me if you eat the entire thing in on go! LOL!

2 Likes

Hahaha perhaps the after effects would be rough, but eating it sure would be fun! :joy:

Perhaps this cake batter could be poured into cupcake/muffin tins instead of one cake pan. As that’s the beauty of cupcakes- everyone gets to eat their very own entire cake lol! :grin: :cupcake: :sparkles:

3 Likes

Ooh, those would be pretty I think. You could put a walnut half on each cupcake!

2 Likes

Perfect! :star_struck: And maybe some fun little autumn-themed sprinkles too :sparkles:

I love it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes