Merry meet one and all Can my altar table be positioned in any of the Cardinal points?

Merry meet one and all
Can my altar table be positioned in any of the Cardinal points?

7 Likes

It usually depends on what tradition you are and how faithful you want to be. Otherwise, put it where you can fit it.

4 Likes

Hi there Michael!

The short answer is this → it depends!

If you’re following a specific tradition, those traditions usually have rules about what needs to be placed where. For example, in Raymond Buckland’s tradition, Seax Wicca, he states the following.

Your altar is going to be placed in the center of the room and it is preferable that it be set up so that when standing before it you are facing east. (Buckland’s Complete Book of Witchcraft, Chapter Two)

If we look to Scott Cunningham, an eclectic Wiccan that didn’t follow a specific tradition, we get this.

The altar and the magic circle in which it stands is a personal construction and it should be pleasing to you. (Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, Chapter Seven)

In my practice, I have several altars and they all serve different purposes. They also all have differing layouts and items on them depending on the circumstances. If you’re not following a tradition with rules then the layout and position of your altar is entirely up to you.

You might find these particular posts on Spells8 helpful. You can even use the search tool to search our altars tag as this is a topic that has been discussed many times before :blush:

5 Likes

Oooh that is such a good question. I never thought of that before!

5 Likes

@michael9 thank you so much for that question it was a great one. I was really curious too after reading your question.

@MeganB awesome and totally informative answer. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this. For me anyways, it totally answers my curiosity Thank youuuu

5 Likes

You’re very welcome! :heart:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.