2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons raw sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

For the Curd:

6 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks, brought to room temperature

Directions:

For Berry Sauce:

Place the frozen berries in a small saucepot. Cook for 3 minutes on medium-low heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla extract. Allow cooking until the sugar is dissolved and all of the berries are unthawed for about 8 minutes.

Transfer the berries and their liquid to a blender or food processor. Process until thoroughly blended, about 3 minutes.

Place a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the berry sauce into the strainer to strain out the seeds. Use a spoon to help push the liquid through; discard the seeds. The berry sauce should yield about 3 cups. Set the berry sauce aside.

For the Curd:

Add 2 inches of water to a small saucepan and set on high to boil and reduce to a simmer. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Place the bowl of egg yolks on top of the pot of simmering water. Make sure the water is not touching the bowl; it’s the steam that will cook the eggs.

Stir the eggs with a wooden spoon constantly, for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the eggs have thickened and stick to the spoon. It is very important that you stir constantly so that the eggs don’t get too warm and begin to scramble. Remove the bowl from the heat immediately.

If there are bits of cooked egg in your curd, then strain through a fine-mesh strainer to remove.

Stir in the chunks of butter one by one until they are each melted. Add 2 ½ cups of the berry sauce to the curd**. Mix thoroughly. You can reserve the ½ cup of berry sauce to use in yogurt, on top of ice cream, or for a curd in the future. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks or in the freezer for several months.

Transfer the berry curd to an airtight container. Place plastic wrap just touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours to chill before serving.

Serve with sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, scones, muffins, toast, or stir into yogurt or oatmeal. It would even be delicious with some vanilla ice cream. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Notes:

*If using fresh berries, add a tablespoon or more of water as needed to help cook the berries down. IF using frozen berries, the water is not needed; there will be enough as they thaw out.
** You may add all 3 cups of berry sauce to the curd for a stronger flavor and deeper color, but it will thin out the consistency a little. I found the 2 ½ cups of berry sauce to be perfect, and I was happy to save some leftover berry sauce for another use.

Recipe courtesy of Robust Recipes.

3 Likes

Yummy. I make my own Ghee and its at least half the price of in the stores.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten curd before… but a quick Google search makes it think it might be similar to clotted cream or even some types of pudding I’ve had before :thinking:

Curious about this one- anything with berry sauce and served with tasty cookies must be yummy! :drooling_face: :two_hearts:

Thanks for sharing, @Amethyst- you make this Kitchen Witch excited! :grin:

2 Likes

In the U.S., clotted cream would technically classify as butter because of its wonderfully high fat content – to be considered clotted cream it has to meet the minimum fat content of 55 percent though more commonly rests along the rich number of 64 percent.

2 Likes

OOh, that sounds nice!

You’re welcome hon! I’ve never had lemon curd but it always looks good on the baking shows. Berry curd sounds just as nice! Glad you like it!

I’ve never had clotted cream either, but it sounds nice. Is it just a special butter or what?

1 Like

I learned something new today- thank you, Barbara! :blush:

To @Amethyst- clotted cream is a spread often served alongside scones during tea time in England. Like Barbara says, it is scrumptiously rich and decadent :drooling_face:

[Picture from British-style Clotted Creme and English Scones]

I had a hard time finding clotted creme in the USA, with only speciality stores or British-style tea cafes having it available for purchase. It makes a great treat so I’m always up for trying similar snacks!

It looks like Mixed Berry Curd isn’t nearly as fatty as clotted creme- so perhaps it would make a healthier substitution! :yum:

2 Likes

Sigh. I’m not fat because I eat to much but what I eat tastes wonderful. That means it’s bad for me. Sigh. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Wow, that looks good! Like a shortcake with strawberries on the side! Nice,thanks for sharing that droolsome image @BryWisteria, and the information! :drooling_face:

Everything that tastes nice is bad for you! It’s not fair!

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth. Almost reached for that lovely biscuit in the picture.

2 Likes

Cheers to that, friends- it’s exactly what my grandpa used to say!

“If it tastes good- it must be bad for you!” :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

You made me laugh Barbara! :joy: If only food could be downloaded- maybe someday! :yum:

2 Likes