Mum's Irish Apple Pie

Well tomorrow is Pi Day, Thursday is Saint Patrick’s Day, and for those of you in the Southern Hemisphere, next Sunday is Mabon. Here’s one recipe for all of those occasions! LOL

Mum’s Irish Apple Pie

prep: 1 hr 15 mins
cook: 45 mins
total: 2 hrs
Servings: 8
Yield: 1 - 9 inch pie

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup cake flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons shortening
¼ cup sour cream
⅛ teaspoon lemon juice
5 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
½ cup white sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch pie pan.

Step 2

To Make Crust: In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter and shortening until coarse crumbs are formed. Mix in sour cream and lemon juice. Keep mixing until dough forms a ball; dough may be slightly lumpy, this is fine. Wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and allow to chill for 1 hour.

Step 3

Once chilled, take the dough out of the refrigerator and cut it in half; keep one half covered and in the refrigerator. Roll dough to 1/8 of an inch. To lift the pie shell, roll dough around the rolling pin and then unroll into the pie pan. Trim overhanging edges of pie crust.

Step 4

To Make Filling: Place apples into pie shell. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, and nutmeg; mix thoroughly. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Squirt lemon juice over apples. Place pie in the refrigerator while the top crust is rolled out.

Step 5

Remove pie from refrigerator. Brush outer edge of bottom crust with beaten egg. Place second crust on top of pie; crimp pie shell edges together. Brush the entire top crust with egg and cut 4 steam slots into it.

Step 6

Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow pie to completely cool before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving:
527 calories; protein 5.4g; carbohydrates 61g; fat 30.5g; cholesterol 87.4mg; sodium 163.2mg.

Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.

8 Likes

Oh my goodness, how did that one almost slip by me? We used to all get wee little mini pies in school on Pi Day- I hated math, but oh boy did I like Pi Day :joy:

Good thing you got us covered with this excellent pie recipe, @Amethyst- thank you so much for sharing! :heart: HAPPY PI DAY!!! :pie: :yum:

5 Likes

I’m having pizza for Pi Day, that’s a pie, right?

Glad you like the recipe, hon! Happy Pi Day to you too!

5 Likes

Pizza pie absolutely counts @Amethyst! :pizza: :laughing: :+1:

No pie here, I had to settle for Tiramisu- that’s a bit more of a stretch to consider it a pie :joy:

Hope everyone had/is having a great Pi Day- gobble up as much pie as you can! :grin: :pie:

3 Likes

Ooh my stomach is rumbling like thunder reading this!! Lol you know I had to come and check out a pi(e) post!!!

3 Likes

Hee! Did I distract you from your studies? I’m sorry. Have a piece of pie and think of me!

3 Likes