Music Challenge

What instruments and tempo is best used in meditation music or for crafting and spell work ?

6 Likes

Sorry, I’m musically inclined just enough to put on a playlist or listen to YouTube. Not good enough to actually write music. Hopefully, someone else will be able to help you.

6 Likes

It will depend on the listener. Some people can’t focus with certain types of music/instruments. Are you asking for your own practice, or to make music for others?

The safest bet is to find a background sound (almost like white noise), typically a pad or synth with soft melodic sounds (ambient music). You can go deeper and find binaural beats or specific frequencies.

There are lots of great examples for music in general in the Magick of Music Weekly Challenge

7 Likes

Oh my goodness thank you so much for your advice !!!
At this time I am messing around with GarageBand on my iPad and FruityLoops. ( if familiar with those D.A.W.S… ) but have captured nice sounds from outside. I also use Oscilab ( an app in the Apple store ) to manipulate waves for Certain tones and sounds to create that can help with healing or sleeping.

Are certain instruments used for certain reason in chants or rituals ? And why?

6 Likes

I like the sound of bongos and maracas but similar to what @Amethyst said i too am not very musically talented but still doesn’t stop my love of music… For meditation Youtube or itunes is what i use or more recently Spell8 :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

As Francisco said, it is usually going to depend on the person. I like to use music to my advantage, even modern music, when doing spellwork. I actually wrote a little bit about it for a challenge entry → Modern Music in Spells :musical_note: Weekly Witchy Challenge

Music can change the entire ambiance of our spells and evoke emotion in us with the slightest change in tone, beat, and pitch. Upbeat songs can be great to dance to and raise energy. Slower, deeper songs can be great to meditate to. Using certain songs and lyrics for certain intentions is perfectly acceptable. Sad songs for releasing, happy songs to bring about happiness, love songs for love, etc.

As for this question, this is going to depend on a lot of different things. Within Neo-Wicca, I don’t believe there are required instruments used in chants or rituals. Usually, things such as drums and flutes are used for their beat and ambiance they create. Outside of that, a lot of different traditions and cultures have their own musical instruments they use for ritual, but I can’t say for sure if it’s specific for ritual or if it’s just because that’s what they had available at the time.

For example, a traditional Irish drum is called a bodhrán and was usually made using wood and goatskin. Now, it’s also made with synthetic material or other animal skin. Drums are a universal instrument, I’ve found, because they’re easy to make and easy to use.

6 Likes

That’s a great question and Megan gave a solid answer. I would add that music is 100% subjective. The reason it is used in ritual and other spiritual practices is because it triggers a hightened sense of being which is pleasurable and similar to other spiritual experiences.

According to research, listening to music “triggers the release of dopamine in your brain . Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that promotes feelings of happiness and excitement”

Just as fast, upbeat music may provide a burst of energy while exercising, slower music has been shown to be more relaxing. Classical music, in particular, can help slow the pulse and heart rate, as well as decrease levels of stress hormones. So, if you’re looking to wind down after a long day, opt for slower instrumental, classical, or ambient music. Source

Regarding specific instruments, chimes, bells, singing bowls and other drums are very popular. I recommend experimenting with whatever you have at hand. After all, you can get a relaxing sound from a tabla and bansouri just as much as from a slowed down Justin Bieber song.

7 Likes