My first attempt at violet syrup

This is my first attempt at violet syrup. It’s a little too sugary for me but it has a very nice taste all the same

13 Likes

@Aryana, nice!! It looks absolutely gorgeous!! :sparkles:

8 Likes

I’m a little oblivious here. What’s violet syrup?

7 Likes

It’s a syrup made from violets I picked from my yard. there are numerous things you can use the syrup in….seltzer water, a white wine, buttercream frostings, fresh fruit, crepes, cocktails, French toast, waffles, lemonade, tea

8 Likes

@MeganB In apothecary terms Violet syrup is one of the oldest means to sweeten and alter the taste of bitter teas and remedies. while historically much older was commonly used in the 1300- the early 1900s as a medical additive for this reason. the only reason for it being lesser-used today except by herbalists and witches is the fact that our society has been groomed over the years to feel the need for processed flavors and limited flavor pallets.

10 Likes

!
@Aryana
Those bottles look gorgeous! I bet they smell sweet and tastes sweeter.
Could you share the how and why you made it?
Sending my love always
Garnet
PS MeganB answered my question as to why, But I’d still like to know how.

Barbyland

9 Likes

Your violet syrup looks beautiful, @Aryana! :heart_eyes: Making violet syrup has been on my to-do list for years, but as I don’t have access to wild violets (or at least, not ones that I trust as being free of pesticides lol) I’m holding out for the right opportunity :laughing:

Something cool with violet syrup is that it does the same thing that butterfly pea tea does- which is, when you add a splash of lemon juice, it turns a gorgeous new color :blue_heart: :lemon:

One of my favorite witchy YouTubers The Green Witch made violet syrup a while back and I have the video bookmarked- there’s a recipe in the video: A Magickal Recipe for Violet Syrup.

But as with most magickal recipes, there’s very rarely just one way to do it- if you have a recipe that you’re okay with sharing, @Aryana, I’d also love to see it! :purple_heart: :blush:

6 Likes

@Aryana and @LadyDennaRahl – Thank you both for the explanation! Maybe I’ll give it a try one day :blush:

7 Likes

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

I want a recipe, too! Pretty please?!

5 Likes

I am following the recipe from Annabel Margaret’s YouTube channel The Green Witch. She has many lovely recipes, I definitely recommend following her on YouTube. But here is her recipe:
3 to 3 1/2 cups of violets
1 cup boiling water
2 cups of sugar
A few drops of lemon juice

Once you have all of your violets rinse them well to get any dirt or bugs off, then lay them out to dry. They can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days. Once you are ready to make the syrup place the violets in a large bowl, boil 1 cup of water. When the water starts to boil remove it from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes, if it is too hot it will drain the color from the violets. Pour the boiling water over the violets and cover the bowl with a towel and let it sit for 24 hours. After the 24 hours drain the water into a pot and turn the heat on low, too hot will ruin the coloring. Bring to a slow simmer and add the 2 cups of sugar, keep stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once the sugar is completely dissolved remove from heat and pour into your jars. Add a couple drops of lemon juice to enhance the coloring. It can be stored in the refrigerator for a month or 2.
Again, I followed this recipe from Annabel Margaret/The Green Witch on YouTube. She has the most beautiful videos.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing the written out recipe, @Aryana! :heart::blush: It is super helpful to have it in text to add to a BoS or recipe book :open_book:

Enjoy your lovely violet syrup- blessed be! :sparkles:

3 Likes

This looks amazing! Enjoy!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.