My Neighbors Think I'm Crazy (probably...) šŸ˜…

We have a winter storm coming our direction (again) where we may or may not get up to 13 inches of snow. Combined with rain, freezing temperatures, and high winds, this storm could potentially bring damage such as downed power lines, fallen trees, etc.

In preparation for this storm, I did my usual home protection spell. I did something similar when we lived in Florida before Hurricane Ian was headed our direction (ya know, the one that veered off course at the last minuteā€¦) ā€“ anyway, all that to say Iā€™m pretty sure my neighbors think Iā€™m nuts now. Itā€™s the perfect thing when moving into a new area :joy:

My home protection spell involves burning some herbs in my cauldron, walking around the perimeter of my home, and chantingā€¦so to my neighbors, it probably looked quite silly watching me walk around my house muttering to myself :joy: not to mention there is still six inches of snow on the ground!

So, bringing this topic up, what are some totally normal things you do that would probably make your neighbors question your sanity?

18 Likes

I love this. I hang bells around the entrances to my house. I also bring out little gifts and put them in my fairy temple, the neighbours wouldnā€™t be able to see the temple, just me bringing out things, putting them on the grass and talking to the grass :rofl:

15 Likes

I stand on my back deck on a full moon in the evening in winter, light candles, gather jars of water, and mutter to myself in freezing temps. And my backyard faces two other neighborā€™s backyards. So far no one has called the police. But Iā€™m sure they wonder whatā€™s going on. I also have my altar in my ā€œsolariumā€ (basically my sunroom) which is also facing the same direction and has lots of windows. So when I turn the lights on in there and light candles or start casting a circle, etc., everything is on full display to these two neighborā€™s houses. I have no blinds or curtains (I tore them out when I bought the house because they were nasty). Sometimes I donā€™t turn the light on in there, but that just means itā€™s just candle glow and smoke. :smiley:

16 Likes

I was once doing Reiki on a relativeā€™s home who was having lots of issues when their inlaws drove by and stopped the car and wanted to know what was wrong!!! I just smiled sweetly and said ā€œall is goodā€ and went inside!!! Iā€™m sure they think Iā€™m insane, but I really donā€™t care~~~Fly your freak flag proudly!!!

17 Likes

Thatā€™s hilarious Megan. I wish I didnā€™t have to be in the broom closet. I have some witchy things in my sacred space in the back of my property. Maybe thatā€™s why my neighbor moved out and put his house up for rent. Lol!

13 Likes

haha itā€™s funny because I stood in the back and talked to my trees for a few minutes, too! :joy: Theyā€™re the ones that could do a lot of damage if the wind got too bad. If they need to fall or break off, I need them to not hit my house :sweat_smile: so they got offerings and prayers, too.

Thatā€™s the perfect ambiance, though! :heart_eyes: I love that you have a sunroom, too - thatā€™s one of my wishes for my ā€œdream houseā€ lol and hopefully your neighbors keep to themselves!

haha always! :clap: :black_flag:

Oh geez :joy: it could be! But I say good riddance to anyone who canā€™t mind their business and get along with others - hopefully, the new renters are good, too!

13 Likes

I do rituals with drums, burn incense, chant, write simbols on walls and windows, i talk to de trees and fae, animals, clouds, sun, stars and moons, they think Im crazy too Lol

14 Likes

Woohoo! :heart: Itā€™s good to know Iā€™m not alone in my perceived ā€œcrazinessā€ from my neighbors :laughing:

11 Likes

Nothing I do is normal. :smile:

Okay, Iā€™m exaggerating. :crazy_face:

There probably isnā€™t anything that the neighbours can see, especially with all our windows UV-tinted and blackout curtains all over. Plus, our balcony isnā€™t yet set up for activities. But if they could seeā€¦ Where do I begin? :thinking:

I suppose in terms of witchy things, letā€™s start with the stuff I own. I have witch bells on my door, little bundles of crystals and things in various places, and a growing witchy corner in the room with all the computers. My partner calls it my shrine. :smile:

In terms of things I doā€¦ Iā€™m not sure now that I think about it. :thinking:

Often, itā€™s very hard for me to think of things when Iā€™m trying to, and very easy when Iā€™m not. Iā€™ve had so many moments where Iā€™ve thought to write down what Iā€™d just done so I can answer this question since you made this thread and then forgotten to write anything down 5 seconds later. :sweat_smile:

In a mundane sense, I obviously behave with my partner much, much more weirdly than I would ever reveal in front of the world. I was dancing with one of my cats last night while I was waiting for my partner to finish cooking. Iā€™ll pretend to creep around like a cartoon villain/goblin. Iā€™ll make up a weird ā€œdanceā€ on the spot. Iā€™ll follow my partner around the unit so closely that Iā€™m constantly in the way of them doing anything. Iā€™ll talk about our cats as though theyā€™re humans doing crazy things. (ā€œCome look at the boy! Heā€™s licking his butt and looks like a Thanksgiving turkey leg!ā€) Iā€™ve been told Iā€™m very animated, like an anime character from a slice-of-life show, by quite a few people now. :laughing:

Oh, that reminds me. There used to be a little magazine/newspaper thing that was handed out at train stations for years for free by volunteers. It always had a section called ā€œOverheardā€ where people could submit something they overheard another say on public transport that was funny. One time, I found myself in there. Iā€™d gotten onto a train with a friend and said, ā€œLook! Humans! Humans everywhere!ā€ Or something like that.

And thatā€™s definitely not the weirdest thing Iā€™ve said in public. I say a lot of things in jest that I donā€™t mean because Iā€™m usually talking to someone whoā€™s known me for years, and we just know. But to random people, it will sound crazy because Iā€™ll say it like Iā€™m dead serious.

In terms of witchy things, I suppose you could argue anything I do would scare my neighbours or make them question my sanity. :innocent:

Anything involving candles probably looks like a scene from a horror movie where something evil is being summoned by people who donā€™t know any better and Iā€™m two seconds off unleashing something that will consume the whole suburb. :crazy_face:

Considering I want to start doing some of those on my balcony, too, because of moon- and night-related goddesses, itā€™s going to look weird. :smile:

Plus, Iā€™ll speak some Latin with certain spells. Itā€™s not great Latin, since I only studied it for a few months in school. But I sound confident enough that someone who has no idea might think itā€™s good. And I like it because it kind of obfuscates what Iā€™m saying, almost as though itā€™s a secret language. :laughing:

Funnily enough, bodily movements are probably the least weird part of my practice. Someone could easily assume itā€™s just some kind of meditation method or even just bad Tai Chi or something, given how Asian the suburb is.

Okay, this is already a wall of text. Sorry. :face_with_peeking_eye: Iā€™ll be back if I think of or do anything super weird, though. :grin:

:black_heart:

10 Likes

@starborn Man wed get along so well. Seriously Iā€™m the same almost. Except I donā€™t have a partner I can be myself around fully. Heā€™s not necessarily amused or interested in my weirdness. I donā€™t get much response. I wish I had u closer :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

I think I have to take my weirdness outside for the first time, as I have a small cauldron I need to cleanse with fire, burning off the protective storage oil coating, not really something I want to do inside! :sweat_smile: :witch_cauldron:

If you come inside though, you better be prepared :joy: There was a repairman who wanted to take a look at the radiatorsā€¦ one of them happened to be behind my altar. Just your standard witchy altar, with a tarot deck, an athame, a chalice and some incense and a few candlesā€¦ after seeing it he became very polite and was quick to leave though :laughing:

Sometimes you might catch me dancing if youā€™re looking in, but people do that donā€™t they? :smile_cat:

Iā€™m very conscious of what I say in publicā€¦ but I still have my moments :sweat_smile: Especially if Iā€™m with someone who gets me :blush: Then I might meow and talk about rituals Iā€™ve done and goddesses Iā€™ve met :kissing_heart:

Oh, I was just reminded of a little nature walk with my therapistā€¦ ā€œWeā€™ll be in contact with people when we come to the campfire, soā€¦ casual talk, letā€™s leave the tantra and the subconscious to when weā€™re alone again?ā€ Oh please, Iā€™m a professionalā€¦ :laughing:

I love referring to people as humans too :joy:
Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve said ā€œcan I not be a human today?ā€ at some point :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I have only done one protection spell for my house so far and I waited until darkness to do it. I am out in the country so there are no streetlights so it was pretty dark. Our one neighbour is super Christian so I donā€™t want to cause a stir with them. When I can afford it, I am going to put up a more solid fence then chain link. Good fences make good neighbours. Meanwhile, I will sneak around in the dark- which I kind of like anyway.

10 Likes

haha donā€™t apologize! I thoroughly enjoyed reading through all of this :joy: and it makes me feel less alone with my own weirdness!

I canā€™t wait until I can take my witchiness outside again. As it is right now, itā€™s too dang cold. We have six inches of snow on the ground and Iā€™m not trying to do any sort of ritual or spell outside :rofl: noooo thank you!

Sneaking around in the dark does have its own kind of allure, Iā€™ll admit! Thereā€™s something so captivating about being in the darkness :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

Well since Iā€™ve only been practicing like 4-5 months havenā€™t had the chance for anyone to really see me yet. All though I always wear witchy necklaces and shirts. I also have a sticker on my van it says blessed be. But I just got my new laptop and I start class today. Sure if anyone sees these Iā€™ll get plenty of looks :rofl:
Ps I donā€™t know what is on the hp symbol. It only shown in the picture.

I read sometimes at work. Iā€™m always hiding the cover. Flipping it over lol.

9 Likes

I think you could explain that one away by saying that itā€™s a laptop from hell and only Satan knows what itā€™s doing :laughing:

Iā€™ve seen a picture of that ā€œSatan insideā€ sticker before, a friend back in high school who was also into computers showed it to me. So completely normal I think :innocent: Though he also said that Satan only wants whatā€™s best for your soul, so who knows :joy:

9 Likes

Ps. I think the bad coworker saw one of my black magick books. Well I know he saw the cover briefly. Heā€™s wearing a big cross now :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: i noticed the other day

10 Likes

Hehehe sounds like he knew him

9 Likes

Possibly, he talked about him quite fondly, and I kinda encouraged him into it tooā€¦ :smile_cat:

There used to be a huge ā€œsatanic panicā€ here in the 80ā€™s, to the mid-90ā€™sā€¦ after that itā€™s been getting so much better. Back then it was enough if you were wearing black clothes or were interested in roleplaying games to make everyone think you were a ā€œSatan worshipperā€, no one really knew what they did but it had to be something bad like sacrificing people :joy:

Now itā€™s much more common for people here to be atheists than Christians, and itā€™s calmed things downā€¦ the few Christians know better too. Internet probably helped people to find information about different subcultures instead of making wild guesses based on their fears and horror movies. Now you could go outside wearing black leather and sigil jewellery, and most people would assume that youā€™re in a band or something, or just have a cool style :sweat_smile:

Hmmm, why am I not doing that? :thinking: :black_heart:
Oh right, itā€™s way too cold! :laughing: :snowflake:

9 Likes

A reflection of your fingers? :grin:

I love the stickers btw. :black_heart:

Same here.

Also, donā€™t forget cosplayers. :smile: We have a few conventions every year, which makes it even more normal.

9 Likes

Now I see it too! :smile:
Funny how my first thought was bloodā€¦ :laughing:

Lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I hope youā€™re taking full advantage of it? :wink:

Oh, true! :smile: We donā€™t have that many here, especially in this small city. I do have a fun memory of attending one in Helsinki though, dressed as a dark queen with blue hairā€¦ :blush: got a few photos taken with me, and another hotel guest politely asked in the elevator what was the occasion :smile_cat:

6 Likes