My science and magic challenge entry ⚠️ TW: medical procedure, death

So, I wanted to put this here so I could discuss some possible triggers.

It seems most of us believe there is science in witchcraft.

Some people wrote about healers and shamans and other cultures with healers. Science has proven that some healing practices in history did work even though at the time, they were persecuted for their practice and healing methods. So I won’t go into more detail about that.

We see science in witchcraft with geometry and astrology. Even kitchen witchery is science in following recipes.

These may not be specific to witchcraft, but I use them in my practice and as self-care, which is important in witchcraft.
Spirituality has been proven to have many benefits for your overall well-being. The same has been found with meditation/mindfulness and with counseling. When people first started using these techniques, it was thought to be something supernatural.

This got me thinking about the medical field. They used to believe medical issues were caused by the devil/demons or curses. Things like seizures or mental illness or birth defects. They thought exorcisms, blood letting and leeches would cure diseases.

I watched the show Lore that @starborn recommended. The first episode is about the supernatural being the cause of consumption. The father in the story lost his wife and 2 daughters to the disease. Then his son was sick. He was desperately trying to save his son. He heard that the cause could be something supernatural and that they needed to exhume their bodies to see if they still looked “alive”. Then if any of them still looked “alive” they would have to cut the heart out and have his son drink it! His wife died first, it wasn’t her. The same with the first daughter. When they exhumed the 2nd daughter who died and she appeared to be “alive”. So they cut her heart out, burned it and the son drank it. And the son still died! Go figure.

Then I thought about where is the line crossed in the medical field in the name of science.
Another episode talked about the doctor who created the lobotomy. This might be a little off topic, but I wanted to discuss it. Most of us know how horrific this procedure was and how they selected their patients for the procedure. At the end of the episode the procedure was performed on a very young boy. This doctor believed that he was saving lives and helping humanity. So why do doctors continue to do procedures? Do they believe their gods or a higher being? Do they believe a higher power told them to do it? Do they believe they are a higher being?

This also reminded me of a show called Dr. Death. He was a surgeon that performed spinal surgery that he “invented”. He ended up severely disabling people as well as killing people. When he was confronted, he said he was God.

Early in the science of medicine, some procedures and treatments were thought of as “crazy”. When flat earth theory was disproven and the Earth was not the center of the universe, scientists were put on trial! (Some were considered heretics by the church!)

Most of the articles I found about witchcraft being science said there was no correlation. That’s a bunch of BS!

I hope you could understand my thoughts. I’m sorry if it’s a little off topic! Thank you for reading this! :purple_heart::blush:

11 Likes

This is excellent, I love your thoughts process. :partying_face::sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Thank you :blush::two_hearts:

8 Likes

I remember watching Lore with my partner last year but I have no memory of talking about it. I’m probably sleep posting now. :laughing:

I love your entry, by the way. I have nothing to comment other than it being enjoyable to read your thoughts and you put everything very well. I just wanted to voice my support and admiration. :black_heart:

7 Likes

@Sivonnah I love this topic and I certainly want to address it. I work in healthcare and I 100% believe there is science in magic and both in healthcare. I have just gotten to work and have several pressing things that need my attention but I will be back to add to this.

Thanks for the thought provoking topic.

9 Likes

Excellent insight. I think the connection between science and spirituality is very real! Your sharp insights are on point. Thank you for sharing with us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

I’m with you, Sivonnah - no matter how someone feels about modern witchcraft and modern science, it’s a fact that the two have an intermingled history. And from all of the wonderful entries shared this week, it seems pretty clear that there is a lot of potential for overlap between the two, perhaps even more so now than ever before! :scientist: :mage: :sparkles:

Well said! :clap:

I’m glad your spiritual practice has helped your overall health and well-being :blush: I think something that many of us share (myself included!). My magickal practice and spiritual beliefs have brought me relief and helped me find peace - sometimes in tandem with medicine, sometimes in place of medicine/doctors that haven’t helped. They’re both important options on the table for those in need of healing.

This was a wonderful entry- thank you so much for sharing it, Sivonnah! :heart:

9 Likes

Thank you so much Bry! :purple_heart::blush: I feel like this entry may have sounded like a crazy person :laughing::hugs::rofl:

8 Likes

Not at all! I thought it was a great read and a heartfelt expression of your thoughts :blush: :heart:

But even if it did sound crazy, there wouldn’t be any worries there! Because you know what they say…

3b21922cd0c0f976032c10e96d368bc0
Pinterest

:wink: :heart: :tea:

Thanks again for sharing your lovely entry, Sivonnah! :two_hearts:

9 Likes