Native American witchcraft practices

Hi everyone, i was just briefly researching different types of witches and a thought popped into my mind. Since my grandmother was Native American, I was interested to see if anyone knows about their witchcraft practices. I myself am not educated about Native Americans since my grandmother lived and remarried in Australia was before i was born, so does anyone have any good links or information about their practices and even if they do consider their practices as witchcraft or if there is another term for what they practice…

10 Likes

I don’t believe Indigenous people on the US call their practices witchcraft. You’ll be hard-pressed to find books about Indigenous spiritual traditions for a few reasons. First, most of their traditions are usually passed down orally within their families and tribes. Second, Indigenous practices are all going to depend on the Nation and People. If you’re looking to learn about those practices, my best advice would be to seek out people from those Nations and learn about their culture and practices from the Elders of that tribe if they’re willing to teach you.

12 Likes

I’m part Seneca. The most knowledge of anything related to the craft that I know firsthand is about energy healing, crystal healing and everything has a spirit.

10 Likes

Thanks @MeganB AND @christina4, that was what i thought about passing down traditions and such. Also i would love to have known or met someone from Native American heritage and unfortunately my grandmother has long passed… I think the best i can do at the moment is keep exploring until i find what fits me best but at this present time, it looks like i will be going down a eclectic solitary Witch path with some Wicca practices and a pinch of my own religion practices…

5 Likes

Khadija You might try looking up Shamanism. Not all tribes believe the same. Good luck

6 Likes

Thanks i was actually thinking about Shamanism, however i would have to look into it a bit more. If i am being honest i do believe in spirits but i also do believe in not disturbing spirits too as we as Muslims asides from spirits of loved ones and other deceased people’s spirits (which can be both good and bad spirits), we believe in Jinns as well. So i do not want to disturb the balance and ‘accidently’ bring negativity onto myself even if my intentions are clean. However, i will look into it and you never know what might come out of it… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I can certainly respect your belief. I rarely channel spirits, only my lost loved ones so they can tell me all is well.

5 Likes

Yes that is very understandable. My father passed away when i was 4 so i would want to contact him when i think i am strong enough. At the moment i have to find enough strength to increase my inner energy since i am new to being a Witch and having 4 small kids in a busy house doesn’t help to meditate and direct my focus…

4 Likes

@TheMuslimWitch I think you should start by identifying the name of the tribe. That will help you find the right people who can teach you.

But if you are looking for general studies, this book published by University of Idaho Press is a compilation of the beliefs and practices of specific tribes, each tribe represented by an expert on that tribe, with emphasis on the specifics: Witchcraft and Sorcery of the American Native Peoples

You can read it for free through a school or library here: JSTOR

If you are interested in Native American cultures, you can take an indigenous studies class or explore American languages, and read books on the topic of colonialism and American history.

Shamanism as a practice comes from many different parts of the world, not just the Americas. If you look for shamanism in the forum you’ll find related topics with our eclectic twist.

However a shaman today is usually someone who works with sacred, mind-altering plants, to guide you through an intense physical and spiritual experience. I don’t encourage doing this on your own but there are many retreats and centers around the world that hold ceremonies with sacred plants (entheogens).

4 Likes

Francisco, wonderful references.
25 Garnet :heartpulse: for you.

3 Likes

Thanks i will look into it sounds very interesting and regardless whether this is the right path or not, i can still add to my knowledge :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi Khadija. Adding to your knowledge is an important part of growth. Any decisions of what you do with it is entirely yours
Blessed be.
Garnet

3 Likes