New papers and catching up 1

Some of the posts I’m putting up are a result of trying to catch up
with past challenges, so don’t be surprised if you read them at a later time.

trying something new

1. I sent away for hibiscus tea and after it arrived, I carefully

Brewed and steeped my new brew. I took a small sip and it was

not a good experience. Can you say NASTY? Even tried it a

the second time, this time with sugar… I then admitted that this particular

the flower was better growing on my lawn than in my mouth.

Sadly 2 weeks later, Rich removed the bushes because “they are getting

leggy and messy.” And he was right, they were, but on the positive side, the lawn does look neater. So farewell to my hibiscus experience. :disappointed_relieved:

1. My next experience was making ice cream. I bought a nice ice cream maker, gathered the ingredients (see recipe below), and made a go of it.

Super Simple Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Recipe from Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk

Ingredients

• 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk

• 1/2 cup half-and-half

• 2 tablespoon vanilla extract

• 1/4 teaspoon salt

• 1 pint (2 cups) heavy cream

Instructions

COMBINE sweetened condensed milk, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended.

• BEAT heavy cream in a separate large bowl with the same beaters until stiff peaks form. Add to sweetened condensed milk mixture, folding in until completely blended.

• POUR mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan or another 2-quart freezer-safe container. Cover and freeze for 6 hours or until firm.

• To customize basic vanilla ice cream, add one or more favorite stir-ins prior to freezing. Soft stir-ins such as ice cream topping or jam may be blended into the sweetened condensed milk mixture in step 1, or for a “ribbon” effect, maybe swirled in by spooning between layers of the ice cream mixture prior to freezing. Hard stir-ins, such as nuts, chopped candy bars, baking chips, and toasted coconut should be folded in with the whipped cream in step 2. Use a 2 1/2- to 3-quart freezer-safe container for storage.

This recipe didn’t need an ice cream maker, but it was yummy

Nutritional facts – who cares, it’s ice cream!

BUTTER PECAN ICE CREAM without eggs

Makes about 5 cups (ten ½-cup servings)
like that’s a real serving?

*INGREDIENTS
4 Tb. unsalted butter
1 C. pecans (halves, pieces, or whole)
1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
1 C. whole milk
¾ C. granulated sugar
a pinch of sea or kosher salt
2 C. heavy cream
1 Tb. pure vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Melt the butter in a medium skillet. Add the pecans and 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium-low heat until pecans are toasted and golden, and the butter is brown, stirring frequently for about 6 -8 minutes. Remove from the heat, strain, and reserve the pecans, allowing them to chill. The butter can be used for another use – delicious over pancakes or waffles.

2. In a medium bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed or whisk to combine the milk, sugar, and pinch of salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Whisk the mixture together again before pouring it into the ice cream maker.

3. Pour the mixture into the mixing bowl of the Ice Cream ice maker. Turn the unit on, set the Timer, and press Start. Let mix until thickened, about 40 minutes. Five minutes before mixing is completed, add the reserved pecans through the mix-in opening and let mix in completely. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Nutritional information per serving (based on ½ cup):

Calories 349 (75% from fat) • carb. 19g • pro. 3g • fat 30g • sat. fat 15g

• chol. 81mg • sod. 45mg • calc. 68mg • fiber 1g

THIS, was sooo good.

Recipe Source: Cuisinart

Black Raspberry Ice Cream

N.American Raspberry & Blackberry assn.

Ingredients
1.5 qt Black raspberries OR enough to make 2 1/2 cups of pureed fruit

1-pint Heavy cream (or half/half)

3/4 cup Sugar

Juice of 1/2 lemon

instructions

1. Puree raspberries.

2. Blend all ingredients in a blender for one minute to thoroughly dissolve the sugar.

3. Pour the mixture into the freezer can of the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions to process the ice cream.

4. Yield approximately 1/3 (yes, one-third) gallon.

5. Store tightly covered in the freezer

Recipe Source: North American Raspberry & Blackberry Association

The verdict…ah-mazing

And with that, I decided to quit while I was ahead.

Garnet

4 Likes

Ohh I love hibiscus tea!!! :heart_eyes:

Hahaha I’m sorry it didn’t taste quite the way you expected it to- herbals teas can have some pretty… er, unique flavors, especially the first time you’re drinking them. If you ever feel called to give it another try, perhaps try a tea blend (hibiscus, dried fruit, etc)? The fruity flavors make (almost) everything more palatable :yum::hibiscus: :two_hearts:

In the challenge guidelines, it does ask for spellwork and action based on theme to be done during the week of the challenge- so while there is an exception in Catch-Up Challenges to count entries that accidentally missed their past challenge deadline (this is because I empathize that the time difference can be confusing for some!), doing a future challenge far in advance seems to defeat the point of it being a “weekly” challenge (if that makes sense?).

That being said, while advance entries don’t particularly align with the challenge guidelines for earning a badge, I am 100% in support of anyone who wants to explore past challenge themes for fun (woohoo!) :heart: All of the old challenges are left open and visible to the public for that very reason- I’m thrilled if anyone finds them useful or helpful in their own personal studies! :pray:

I hope that makes sense- I really don’t want to be draconian about challenge rules (the challenges are here for learning and fun, after all!) but at the same time the rules are what make it a challenge and thus deserving of a special badge prize :grinning:

Lots of love to you, Garnet, and I hope that, even if the tea wasn’t your favorite :wink:, you continue to enjoy your very tasty icecream- it sounds amazing! :ice_cream: :two_hearts:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

5 Likes

I bought rose hibiscus tea and it wasn’t that good either so be wary of that one too! Blah! Your ice cream sounds great though!

5 Likes

@Garnet im sooooo sorry i had a bad experience with Hibiscus. Straight Hibiscus, well straight anything in my opinion, can be rather harsh.

I recently made these two teas that are primarily Hibiscus flavor with a few added extras to counteract the strength and bitterness (pretty much to make it not taste like u just picked it from the yard and ate it). Ill be happy to share if u need them or if u need assistance, id hate for u to throw away money.

Also always remember even if u dont drink it those herbs can be used for spell work if nothing else. So there might be some silver lining.

@Amethyst @BryWisteria

5 Likes

I may not have made this clear, but the posts were just for fun. An FYI.

Now, I may use it at a later time as a ketchup [play on words]
Love
Garnet

5 Likes

@Garnet oh oops. No didnt understand that your original post was all in fun.

5 Likes

I’ve never had hibiscus tea but I don’t think I could make myself drink it :laughing: I’m very particular about my tea, I suppose. Actually, I don’t tend to like tea all that much anyway :woman_shrugging: Good on you for trying something new, though!

4 Likes

For some reason, one of my posts ended up with a different print with a scrolling ability. I’m not sure how I did it nor how to undo it.
Garnet

4 Likes

I fixed it :blush: It happens sometimes!

4 Likes

Hi Garnet. I do not see anything wrong with throwing in some of your Magical ingredients (ice cream). Enjoy.
Blessed Be
Medea

4 Likes

This is a great point! :clap:

Ingredients that don’t fit your taste might still fit the tastes of a deity, make a good offering, or be suitable for spellwork. I completely agree with Christeena- magick is a great way to put things to use! :grinning:

Apologies, Garnet! It looks like I completely misunderstood- that’s my bad. Thank you for clarifying! :heart::pray:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.