New word of the day

Today I learned a new word from the guide book for my Light Seer’sTarot:

pusillanimity

/ˌpjuːsɪləˈnɪmɪti/

noun

1. lack of courage or determination; timidity.

“the pusillanimity of his answer surprised me”

I do love language…

And as a bonus saw this squirrel on my evening walk

Happy Sunday :blush:

14 Likes

I’d rather just say that someone is timid. That new word looks like it would get me in trouble if I pronounced it wrong. LOL.

Cute squirrel! You managed to snap a good pic. They usually move too quickly for me to take a pic of them.

9 Likes

He stood stock still staring at me!

9 Likes

He liked you! Very cool! Or he went frozen in terror. I rather hope he liked you!

9 Likes

I love the new word! I decided I would use it, then decided since I could neither spell, nor say it, maybe not.

9 Likes

Oof that’s probably not one I could type without a little help from spellcheck :joy: But I always love to see new words- language is truly amazing! Thanks for sharing, Iris :heart:

And hello to your cute squirrel friend! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Light seers tarot is a good deck!!! Thanks for the info and the cool squirrel pic! :chipmunk:

6 Likes

LOL I had a teacher in middle school who would say it :laughing: (although it was “pusilánime” in Spanish).

We only understood it because it appears in an episode of The Simpsons (when Homer calls George H. W. Bush that) :rofl:

And then there’s the original version in English where Homer calls him a “wimp” instead :rofl:. So I guess it means a wimp!

6 Likes

Omg love the squirrel i would love to see one in real life but all i get around here is brown belly snakes and blue tongue lizards in the backyard… I think the most “exotic” animal i seen on a walk was a perentie or komodo dragon of some sort…

6 Likes

That makes me laugh thinking of them as exotic as they’re pretty much considered equivalent to vermin, having nearly wiped out the red squirrel population. But I think they’re cute :blush:

5 Likes

hahaha :sweat_smile: well here in Australia the cutest thing people think of is koalas but i can tell you i don’t find them cute… Here unfortunately hamsters are considered vermin and they are illegal to have as pets so there are none here inn Australia. :frowning_face: Would love to see a squirrel here

6 Likes

Jeese Iris, You came up with another great word.
I read your word and think: “Duh, and I are a college graduate. I be s(th)mart, but not that s(th)mart.”
Deluth! Stop laughing at me! Do I laugh at you?
Just all the time.
Smart a_s Dragon
**You swore, you sw-ore! (in a sing song voice.)
Too bad you’re invisible to every one but me!
Nah nah nah
“Oh go back to bed, reptile!”
Good night everybody. hee,hee, hee.
Dragons! I may yet trade him in for a hamster…

5 Likes

Yes and that it is! I love learning as much as possible :relieved:

5 Likes

I love you Garnet!!! :rofl::heart:

5 Likes

I love you too, Munchkin.

5 Likes

I’ve actually found pronouncing the adjective form to be easier: pusillanimous :smiley:

And I am determined to use it in a sentence this week!

5 Likes

Neat word! Thanks for sharing! But as someone who trips over basic everyday words, I’ll leave it be :joy:

@Garnet , I’m love with all your dragons! I have a couple my grandma left to me and i ended up getting a little purple one from etsy. She so cute but I haven’t discovered her name yet :dragon::revolving_hearts:

4 Likes