Oil candles. Yea or nay

So I’m looking into changing my main 6 candles Earth, fire, water, air, spirit, Center/goddess that I use for my alter to liquid candles or oil candles with the oils coloured for each quarter and spirit. I was wondering if anyone else has done this and how you like it.

5 Likes

Great question, @LadyDennaRahl! I don’t use oil candles myself, but I don’t think they would differ too much from wax candles in terms of spellwork fundamentals:

→ The magickal properties of candle colors come from, well, the colors themselves! :rainbow:

→ You could still potentially dress your candle by adding decorations, sigils, writing or even more oil to the outside too :+1:

→ Oil candles likely come in various shapes and containers like wax candles do, so you can select sizes and shapes based on your needs :candle:

As for other influences of using oil versus wax candles- I’m firmly in the school of thought that this will depend mostly on your intention. So, for example, if you feel that having an oil candle adds an element of, let’s say, water (liquid) to the spell, then I would say that that would be a difference between the two types of candles :droplet:

If you decide to give liquid/oil candles a try, I would love to hear how it goes for you and what you think of it, Charlaine! :blush: Good luck and blessed be! :sparkles:

5 Likes

I’ve used oil candles before. It was ok but please be careful! Oil can be tricky to work with.

3 Likes

I would love to understand what you meant as to they could be tricky to work with as i am honestly interested in your experience with them.

For me, the oil candles will only be used for my main non spell candles. Mainly the 4 quarters and my center candle as well as my 2 tapered that I use for light before I light the others. and when needed the god and goddess candles.

For spell work, I only use normal candles. As I had stated I was wondering what people thought were on just the main candles not for spellwork candles.

3 Likes

I see no reason not to use oil candles.

1. It’s cheaper.
  2. You can color the water under the layer of oil
  3. Make your sigils with a glass pen.
    I think the color is important, but as Bri says, it’s the intent of the magic and the flame itself.
    Garnet
2 Likes