Opening up Calendula flowers for oil?

I’m almost ready to make my first batch of Calendula oil and I was wondering …

Do I need to remove the green base at the bottom of each bloom and/or split them open before putting them in the jar?

I’m so excited. I worked really hard watering and pampering my plants and now its all so close to paying off. I don’t want to mess up all the beauty my plants put out for me.
:seedling: :heart:

10 Likes

Yay!! I also have some calendula flowers that I grew this season so I will be doing the same thing.

It’s also my first time doing it but from what I’ve seen, you can do it with the stems and all, there’s no need to open them up. I suppose you could do that if you want to be extra careful, but I would say don’t stress too much about it!

9 Likes

Greetings @Sarafeena_Sage!

Congrats on your beautiful harvest of Calendula- they are practically glowing with all of your love and care! I know they will make a very potent healing oil for you :blush:

The parts of the plant to use (or not use) often depend on a few factors:

1. the recipe
  2. the method of extraction
  3. the purpose of the oil

In this case where the recipe doesn’t specify, I’d consider what type of oil you are making and how. If it’s a type of oil to be used on food, know that the green stems of many plants can give a bitter taste and even overpower the taste of the petals.

If the oil is to be used as a skincare product, however, the taste doesn’t matter much at all :laughing: I agree with Francisco here- feel free to leave the green base of the plant/stem on while you craft the oil, but I’d personally suggest to cut it as close as possible.

While the inclusion of some green parts won’t detract from your oil, when it comes to Calendula, the medicinal properties you are seeking are mostly strongly found in the yellow blossoms- not the green stems.

Wishing you a blessed calendula harvest and a fun time crafting your oil- let us know how it goes! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sunflower:

9 Likes

I make calendula oil for skincare purposes :heart:

I usually use a higher ratio of petals :sunflower: to stems, place in a clean jar, cover completely with oil - jojoba, almond, olive, thistle or avocado are all good choices dependant on your skincare needs - add some essential oils, screw the lid on tightly and leave in a cool dark place for around 4 weeks to infuse. Check regularly and top up oil if needed :upside_down_face:

Calendula can stimulate menstruation, so please avoid if pregnant :blush::pregnant_woman:

6 Likes

Thank you all for the advice. :+1: I will be using my oil mostly for skin care :footprints: and maybe a couple of spells.

I heard you can put the greens in salad but I haven’t been brave enough to eat it lol. :leafy_green:

I grew 2 varieties, Jaguar and a petite mixed color. I think the Jaguar has a better and stronger fragrance. I love them all! They are so very awesome. When I take a flower another grows right back in its place!

It looks like you have a different variety @Francisco, What kind are you growing?

I have enjoyed growing them and getting to know them. I will be planting more next season for sure. :beetle:

Thank you again for the info
:rose:Bless Be

5 Likes

I’m growing Calendulas! :laughing: Or so I thought LOL it’s so confusing between Marigolds and Calendulas. I’ll do some research and be back in an hour.

Okay! Here’s my summary from reading three different articles:

Calendulas are from Asia and Europe. They are also known by the common name “marigold” in some places. The most common variety is Calendula officinalis, commonly known as “pot marigold”.

Marigold is a plant which grows in the Americas, its scientific name is Tagetes, for example French Marigold is Tagetes patula which is native to Mexico.

Calendula (marigold) and Tagetes (marigold) are in the same family (the sunflower family) but they are not in the same genus, hence totally different species.

I suggest you check the bag for the scientific names of your flowers, but I think you have Tagetes erecta and another type of French marigold so you probably won’t be able to get Calendula oil from them :confused:

4 Likes

How do you make a GIANT SAD FACE??? :weary: :sob: :cry: Lesson learned the hard way I guess.

I looked all over my seed packets and there’s no info about the genus name. I’ve found the correct seeds online and I’m trying to decide if I’m going to do it all again.

Thank you for the help and looking up the information on it all. I still have a lot to learn.

Now I just need to regrow my self esteem/confidence, pride, and motivation again :disappointed:

:rose:Bless Be All

3 Likes

:disappointed: :disappointed:

Not everything’s lost!! Here, I found some uses and properties of Tagetes erecta :white_flower:

In foods and beverages, it is used as a flavor component. People sometimes apply the leaves directly to the skin for treating sores and ulcers.
The flowers are used as a mosquito repellent.
The juice of the leaves is put on the skin for treating eczema.
The oil is put on the skin for treating wound maggots. - Source

Always make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction first!

(to make the big emojis, start a line with a # then leave a space and add the emoji)

Put Calendulas on next year’s calendar!! :sunflower:

3 Likes

:smiley:

Thank you very much @Francisco for the uses of the french species. I think I read somewhere about throwing them in the fire at Lammas or something like that too.
I will make use of them and i did very much enjoy growing them. Not a total loss and I learned some things along the way. :wink:

3 Likes

Let us know what you end up doing with them!! Blessed Be!

2 Likes