Orphic Hymn to the God Ares

Mighty Ares, cursing, gold-loving, fiery-tempered, feraspi, polissoe, copper-plated, dexterous, brave, mighty, lord of Olympus, father of the victorious Nike, helper of Themis, tyrant of the Antibes, ruler of the most righteous people, sweeper of valor, who manipulates him fiery circle of the ether of the seven-pointed stars where the flaming poles have you eternally above the 3rd antyga. Hear me, helper of the storms, who gives the fair youth, cast down from on high a meek saddle on our life and a lofty state. that I may avert the bitter malice from my own head, and overcome by the brakes of my soul the rush of anger and the deluded lateness that excites me to ride on the cold cry of battle. But you, bless me, give me courage, so that I may remain in peace and steadfast institutions avoiding the battle of enemies and violent Candles.
Ἆρες ὑπερμενέτα, βρισάρματε, χρυσεοπήληξ, ὀβριμόθυμε, φέρασπι, πολισσόε, χαλκοκορυστά, καρτερόχειρ, ἀμόγητε, δορυσθενές, ἕρκος Ὀλύμπου, Νίκης εὐπολέμοιο πάτερ, συναρωγὲ Θέμιστος, ἀντιβίοισι τύραννε, δικαιοτάτων ἀγὲ φωτῶν, ἠνορέης σκηπτοῦχε, πυραυγέα κύκλον ἑλίσσων αἰθέρος ἑπταπόροις ἐνὶ τείρεσιν ἔνθα σε πῶλοι ζαφλεγέες τριτάτης ὑπὲρ ἄντυγος αἰὲν ἔχουσι· κλῦθι βροτῶν ἐπίκουρε, δοτὴρ εὐθαλέος ἥβης, πρηῢ καταστίλβων σέλας ὑψόθεν ἐς βιότητα ἡμετέρην καὶ κάρτος ἀρήϊον, ὥς κε δυναίμην σεύασθαι κακότητα πικρὴν ἀπ᾽ ἐμοῖο καρήνου, καὶ ψυχῆς ἀπατηλὸν ὑπογνάμψαι φρεσὶν ὁρμὴν θυμοῦ τ᾽ αὖ μένος ὀξὺ κατισχέμεν ὅς μ᾽ ἐρέθῃσι φυλόπιδος κρυερῆς ἐπιβαινέμεν· ἀλλὰ σὺ θάρσος δὸς μάκαρ, εἰρήνης τε μένειν ἐν ἀπήμοσι θεσμοῖς δυσμενέων προφυγόντα μόθον κῆράς τε βιαίους.

11 Likes

I used working with Ares for this weeks weekly challenge.

9 Likes

I maybe needed to read that today. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Does anyone else still think of the late Kevin Tod Smith when picturing Ares? Frome Xena? Or is it just me? LOL!

6 Likes

Powerful hymn to Ares! Thank you for sharing it, @AIRAM :pray::fire::blush:

Picture from AllGeekThings

I can see it! :grinning: :+1:

6 Likes

~sigh~ Yep, that’s my favorite War God. LOL!

5 Likes

@Amethyst :laughing: :+1: :heart:

4 Likes

:grin: Hubba hubba!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.