Orphic Hymns with translation into modern Greek

The Orphic Hymns are a collection of eighty-eight hymns (prayers). They begin with an invocation of the deity of length, usually two verses, and end with a supplication. The main part consists of invocations with devotional adjectives, participles and relative clauses in the third person and rarely in the second person, as in the present hymn. Many neologisms (especially compound adjectives) and rare words appear in these recalls. The accumulation of devotional epithets magnifies the deity, defines its sphere of influence, and creates a high devotional atmosphere.

These words are carriers of high spirituality and carry their full weight; they constitute, one might say, a priestly art of high vibration. They are considered powerful prayers and each time you recite them, the Soul is said to realign itself to high levels of energy vibration.

Read them quietly and focused, with the corresponding emotional charge…

12 Likes

Thank you for sharing these. :smile:

It will take me a long time to get through them, but I appreciate the beauty of what I have read so far. :black_heart:

I can’t read Greek, so I’ve been following along using this: THE HYMNS OF ORPHEFS - Greek Alphabet: Unlock the Secrets

7 Likes

I really wanted to translate gookle them into English :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but the translation seriously…kills…the translation… :grinning: :grinning:

5 Likes

Google really couldn’t handle it, could it? :joy:

I’m happy to help you find a translation whenever you need. :hugs: :black_heart:

5 Likes

you are precious my Sister! thank you very much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Whoa, these look amazing! :heart_eyes: I can’t read the Greek, but it’s always neat to see prayers in their original language. I know Google Translate doesn’t do them justice, but it’s still fun to get a peek at their meanings.

I never would be able to see things like this otherwise- thank you so much for sharing them, @AIRAM! :heart:

6 Likes

I’m so glad you like them!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing them! My favorite place to get Orphic and Homeric hymns for the Greek deities is Theoi.com. They’re the English translation (or one of them, I suppose lol) – it’s amazing to me how so many things get lost in translation, especially when translating from one language into English. As large as the English language is, it really doesn’t have a lot of wiggle room for words or phrases with specific meanings.

6 Likes

the correct translation is great but it still needs a lot of improvement…of google…

5 Likes