Out The Window: A Spell For Release

Letting go of things that don’t serve our highest good is a powerful intention, often associated with personal growth, healing, and transformation. Today, we’re going to explore a spell which can help us let things go by literally tossing their ashes out the window (with a fire-free alternative option as well). :wink:

What You Need

• Black candle (for letting go and protection)
  • White candle (for purity and new beginnings)
  • Crystal (see below for ideas)
  • Herbs (for cleansing and releasing negativity)
  • A personal charm or symbol (to represent your spirit)
    • An alternative option is to use a crystal. There are ideas for crystals below.
  • Pen and paper
  • A fireproof container and a lighter, OR a small bowl of water

Note: Adapt the spell to suit your personal beliefs and comfort. You can include more crystals and herbs which harmonise with the overall theme of your spell, enhancing its focus on emotional clarity, purification, and the release of negative energies. If they do not resonate with you, do not feel pressured to use them. Use as much or as little as you desire.

Time

Sunrise symbolises new beginnings and fresh starts, so it can be a powerful time for rituals or meditations focused on releasing the old and welcoming the new. However, as sunset can symbolise letting go, doing this spell at such a makes a lovely moment for reflection on what has passed and what can be released. Pick whichever best suits your desires, whether you focus on letting go or making way for something new.

Also, the new moon phase is significant in many traditions for setting intentions and letting go of what no longer serves you, making it a great time to do this. But please note that this does not mean you must do it on a new moon.

Instructions

1. Light the black candle first for letting go, followed by the white for new beginnings. Focus on the symbolic meaning of each as you light them. Always practice fire safety.

2. Write down what you wish to let go of on a piece of paper. Once written, fold the paper and, depending on which approach you are taking, do one of the following:

• Burn the paper with the flame of the black candle.
    • Place it into the bowl of water, symbolically washing away these burdens.
  3. While either holding or focusing on the black candle, visualise your burdens lifting away. Recite the following verse:

Erase the marks of yesteryear,
Remove what festers, bring it clear.
Dispel blockages, luck’s misfortune,
Cast away forces that may importune.
Cleanse my spirit, make it light,
From all darkness, take its flight.

1. While either holding or focusing on the white candle, visualise the empty void now left by the things you are letting go of being filled with positive energy. Speak these words:

Gifted with renewal this day,
Embracing all the new pathways.
Attuned to the Universe’s guiding light,
A life of joy, now in sight.
Heeding the wisdom deep within,
A prosperous, joyful journey begins.

1. Sit comfortably and recite the following, holding the personal charm or symbol in your hand to draw upon its calming energy:

Let harmony be my guide,
In balance, let my spirit reside.
Happiness, be my motivating force,
With light’s guidance, set my course.
Grant me the essence of magic’s touch,
In mysticism, find my trust.

1. If you burn the paper, you can literally toss it out the window if it is not disruptive to others to do so. Or you could dispose of the ashes outside, returning them to the earth. If you soaked the paper in water, feel free to discard the paper in whichever way you like. If the paper was safe for the environment, you could also bury it.

2. Keep the crystal with you in the following days as a reminder of your spell and its intentions.

Crystal Suggestions

• Amethyst: Known for its calming and purifying properties, amethyst is believed to help in releasing addictive behaviours and emotional blockages. It’s often used in meditation to provide clarity and inner peace.
  • Black Tourmaline: This crystal is famous for its grounding and protective qualities. It’s believed to help in letting go of negative energy, fears, and anxiety, creating a shield against negative influences.
  • Labradorite: This stone is known for transformation and change, helping to facilitate the letting go of old habits and thoughts, making way for new energy and growth.
  • Rose Quartz: While primarily associated with love, rose quartz is also believed to aid in releasing past wounds and teaching the importance of self-love and acceptance, which are crucial in letting go of what no longer serves you.
  • Smoky Quartz: Smoky Quartz is thought to be effective in releasing negative emotions like jealousy, fear, and anger through its association with grounding and calming energies. It’s also associated with protection.

Candle Colour Alternatives

Here are some ideas if you would like to add more candles of different colours.

• Blue: Blue candles, especially darker shades, are linked with healing, meditation, and tranquillity. They can help calm the mind, making it easier to release stress and anxiety.
  • Green: Green candles are connected with healing, balance, and rejuvenation. They can aid in letting go of old emotional wounds and fostering personal growth.
  • Purple: Purple candles are often associated with spirituality, wisdom, and psychic awareness. They can be useful in releasing old patterns and achieving spiritual growth.

The inspiration for crafting this spell originated from video that @Devenne recently shared. It was @Sivonnah who conceptualised the idea of turning it into a practical and meaningful spell, writing the items on paper, burning them, and letting the ashes go out the window.

10 Likes

Thank you! I love it! :heart:

6 Likes
6 Likes

I can just imagine throwing the spell water out the window (second floor balcony above a driveway, here) and it either freezing before it hits the ground or it hits someone or their dog below me by accident. Even if it hits the ground, it could freeze and someone could slip. I know I can’t toss the water far enough to hit the base of the tree to the northwest of me, but I’m sure the tree would enjoy and use the extra water.

The easiest way for me would be to flush it. There was an old Draino commercial: “There go troubles, down the drain.”

8 Likes

Uh oh. :laughing: If I did that here, it would fall into the patio of the person living on the first floor. Not a great idea here, either.

Unfortunately, I think the “fun” parts of this spell are much more house-friendly. Being an apartment dweller, tossing ashes out the window isn’t exactly an option for me, either. (Heck, my new place doesn’t even have actual “windows”! It’s all sliding glass doors.)

But this does inspire me to think of some more specifically apartment-friendly or small space spells. :thinking: Because sometimes smoke (candles, incense, etc.), using the cardinal directions, and probably a collection of other things that I can’t think of right now, are difficult in these kinds of spaces.

7 Likes

Great spell, bookmarked and printed for my BoS! Appreciate you!

7 Likes

It was me @starborn I posted it. This is great.

https://forum.spells8.com/t/depression-to-top-it-off-cw/44402/23?u=devenne

5 Likes

Nice. I updated the “credits” at the bottom. :grin:

4 Likes

No big deal just saw you were looking for it.

4 Likes

I came in here expecting things to fly- and I was not disappointed :handshake: :joy: :heart:

This is amazing. Your creativity, writing talents, and beautiful spell design come together in such fun ways- this spell is a delight! :raised_hands:

You are all such a great team :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Goooooo Team Out the Window~! :raised_hands: :partying_face:

That sounds like a great disposal option if the window is out of bounds! :+1: Clever!

5 Likes

I love this spell (and the inspiration behind it) so, so much! :clap: This is a great spell - amazing job, @starborn :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Great job as usual my friend. Appreciate you :smiling_face:

4 Likes