Placing an altar

Hi, loves!

We are finally getting settled for real, for real in our new home.

My altar/sacred space is currently upstairs in the office/music room, and it just doesn’t feel right. I have yet to sit at it. Maybe that’s because that particular room is the last to be put together, or maybe it’s just that it isn’t where I feel it should be.

I have been sitting at my kitchen table to do rituals. I like to be near my back door and windows, and my herbs in the kitchen.
Here’s my question (with a little explanation first).
I realize each practitioner holds their own beliefs and should do what feels comfortable for them. HOWEVER. Where I would LIKE to place my altar is between the kitchen and dining area, facing the back door, facing East. It just feels like a perfect spot for ME. But I’ve read that it is disrespectful to the dieties to place your altar in the kitchen, plus since they are protectors of the home, it is counterintuitive to face the altar towards the back of the home.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please? Will I be working against myself and the gods and goddesses if I move my altar here? Is this asking for trouble? Am I overthinking this?

Blessings to each of you. It is a peaceful rainy day here in TX. I am feeling grateful today because my family is recovering from sickness, and I am feeling renewed and energized to get organized!

(Pictures are of the spot where I feel called to put it. This is my current coffee station. Pic of the back door is where it would be facing - toward our large back yard and then… a very busy street behind.)

8 Likes

I have never heard this :thinking: I think this is going to depend on the tradition you’re in. For me, for example, I wouldn’t place a deity altar in the middle of the room or facing a door because that deity altar becomes the home of the Gods in my home, a shared space where They are welcome and invited. However, a working altar can be wherever I need it to be. This can be in my bathroom with my makeup as an altar for beauty, on my desk as an altar for prosperity, and even in my kitchen as an altar for any kitchen magic I may do. It really depends.

8 Likes

In my own opinion I wouldn’t put it in the middle of a walk area where people would have to move around it to go to sit at the table to eat. You could always have a pop up altar especially if you use your kitchen for rituals already and just have a main area where you would be able to keep everything in one place ie decor and statues or pictures also offerings.

7 Likes

Thanks Luna2! Just curious - why wouldn’t you place one there, personally? Because of energy with traffic? Keeping things private? Bad juju?

4 Likes

For reference, this is my cabinet/altar/sacred space.

7 Likes

I had the separate altar I’d set up for Beltane in the kitchen and I loved it there. I’d likely have left one there more permanently if it had been practical to do so as I actually really loved the space and the privacy it afforded in the evening.

I’d say go with what feels right to you.

6 Likes

In Buddhism the altar has to be facing to the entrance of the house, in some other practices the practitioner can’t walk naked where the alter and shrines are located. Is like @MeganB point out, all depending of your beliefs system you’re into. This being said, there’s rules hard to keep, specially to people living in small spaces. In your case @sarah29 , do as you feel is right.
My cousin has her main alter in one place and shrines all over the house, giving devotions to different Deities.

8 Likes

I simply suggest that you do you! Put it wherever you’re comfortable with. :relaxed::heartbeat:

9 Likes

Yeah mostly traffic and everyone’s energies.

7 Likes

I’ve heard of people having multiple altars set up in their houses. Seems like a good idea but I feel like I then you’d have to go to multiple places to work which means more working items around the house. But hey if it works it works.

6 Likes

Well that it depends on the work the practitioner is doing on that alter, there’s tools that doesn’t need to be used like the one used on the main alter.

5 Likes

@christina4
Totally agree with you.
In Chinese culture East represent the person, that mainly will use the altar?
I would place it in the East or near.
Most of my work is done in the kitchen, to keep Venus happy, so will have to be South-East.
And South is an excellent area too!

5 Likes

Following the directions, there’s those whom follow feng shui, in which almost everything has be to in a specific direction, a lot of rules to follow in order to be in balance cosmically. There’s even a community of houses that follows this rules of feng shui, but the person has to pay a lot to live there.

4 Likes

@pedros10
I tried it once.
Want it done properly…?
Choose the right house and location first. It’s an absolute nightmare to change things around.
I did the Feng Shui horoscope and worked a treat. Also bought some charms and little statues. If ever move house, will consider the location among other rules.
There’s room to be flexible, you’re allowed to bend rules a little though.
For now, our house is just fine the way it is.
Some people believe we are some sort of cosmic machine generating loads of cash​:joy::rofl:

4 Likes

This is an interesting question and I am sure there are a lot of right answers. It made me think people probably create altars in their homes all the time without realizing it. Think about how people use mantels (at least, I know I do). That’s often where they put holiday decorations, candles, framed pictures of their loved ones, flowers, religious objects, kids art projects, trophies, souvenirs and treasures. It also ocurred to me that every home must have its heart. The place where visitors and families gravitate, where they relax. In some homes, that’s the kitchen, in others, the living room, deck or den. It might be a matter of space and comfortable furniture, but maybe it’s also energy? Have you ever gone to look at houses for sale and you walked in and one house felt like home and another just didn’t? So, that is my reflection. Maybe the altar could go where it feels right and where you feel the energy is the warmest and love-iest in your home.

5 Likes