Proclus: Joint hymn of Hecate and Janus

“Hail, mother of the gods, polynomial, beautiful. Rejoice, Hekate the porteress, for you have great strength. But you, too, rejoice, forefather Janus, hail Zeus, rejoice, lord Zeus. Make the course of my life bright and full of good things, banish evil diseases from my limbs. And my soul that wanders like a madman about the chthona, draw it as soon as it is purified by the rites that raise the mind. Yes, I beseech you, give your hand and show the divine paths to me who seek them. To face the precious light, by which I can escape from the evil of the dark birth. Yea, I beseech thee, lend thy hand, and me that am weary lead me with the winds to the cove of Piety. Hail, mother of the gods, polynomial, beautiful. Rejoice, Hekate the porteress, for you have great strength. But you, too, rejoice, forefather Janus, hail Zeus, hail your lord Zeus.”
ancient Greek
H 6.1 ` to H 6.15 Χαῖρε, θεῶν μῆτερ, πολυώνυμε, καλλιγένεθλε· χαῖρ᾽, Ἑκάτη προθύραιε, μεγασθενές. ἀλλὰ καὶ αὐτὸς χαῖρ᾽, Ἴανε προπάτορ, Ζεῦ ἄφθιτε· χαῖρ᾽, ὕπατε Ζεῦ. τεύχετε δ᾽ αἰγλήεσσαν ἐμοῦ βιότοιο πορείην βριθομένην ἀγαθοῖσι, κακὰς δ᾽ ἀπελαύνετε νούσους ἐκ ῥεθέων, ψυχὴν δὲ περὶ χθονὶ μαργαίνουσαν ἕλκετ᾽ ἐγερσινόοισι καθηραμένην τελετῇσι. ναί, λίτομαι, δότε χεῖρα, θεοφραδέας τε κελεύθους δείξατέ μοι χατέοντι. φάος δ᾽ ἐρίτιμον ἀθρήσω, κυανέης ὅθεν ἔστι φυγεῖν κακότητα γενέθλης. ναί, λίτομαι, δότε χεῖρα, καὶ ὑμετέροισιν ἀήταις ὅρμον ἐς εὐσεβίης με πελάσσατε κεκμηῶτα. χαῖρε, θεῶν μῆτερ, πολυώνυμε, καλλιγένεθλε· χαῖρ᾽, Ἑκάτη προθύραιε, μεγασθενές. ἀλλὰ καὶ αὐτὸς χαῖρ᾽, Ἴανε προπάτορ, Ζεῦ ἄφθιτε· χαῖρ᾽, ὕπατε Ζεῦ.

10 Likes

This is a beautiful hymn and while I’m afraid I can’t read the original Greek, it is still really cool to see it written in the original language! :star_struck: I really appreciate you sharing the hymn and the translation, @AIRAM - thank you so much! :heart::pray:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.