Safety in pregnancy

Dear Coven Members,

I was wondering what are the things to consider while being pregnant :pregnant_woman:? I saw many internet posts question white sage smudging, I saw a few posts here about avoiding mugwort, I’m aware of essential oil/herb safety, but I was wondering if there is anything else to consider? Like things to do, things not to do, things to do differently?

Thank you in advance :pray:

Blessed Be :star2:,

8 Likes

Medical Preface → I’m not a doctor so this is advice based solely on my experiences. Always seek the help of a medical professional :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

During pregnancy, you just want to make sure you’re being mindful of what you’re doing. There isn’t a rule or anything that says you can’t do magick or cast spells while pregnant. That’s entirely up to the individual.

As for herbs, oils, and the like? Definitely consult a licensed herbalist or doctor before ingesting anything. For example, chamommile may be an abortifacent, so you definitely don’t want to drink chamomile tea. Basically just look into the herbs you will be using or drinking.

This Wikipedia page has some interesting information on herbs/ingredients to avoid when pregnant (Abortifacient - Wikipedia)

7 Likes

Thank you @MeganB, that is so reassuring! I’ll keep these in mind :relaxed:

7 Likes

You’re welcome :stars: happy to help!

6 Likes

This is or should be part of your Grimoire but it is easy to answer your questions by looking up herbs, spices and plants, you should find all the info. you need
This is a good place to start :upside_down_face: I think I’m going to add it to my grimoire, so thanks for giving me a nudge.
https://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/gentle-expectations#:~:text=Herbs%20to%20avoid%20during%20pregnancy%20Many%20herbs%20should,as%20interfere%20with%20the%20development%20of%20your%20baby’s.
another is: Herbs to Avoid During Pregnancy

5 Likes

Hello @Garnet, thanks for the link - this is really helpful!

4 Likes

You are welcome sweetie, any time. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

You’ve got some great advice from others here. My advice is always be careful. Go with how you’re feeling. If you don’t feel like you have much energy, don’t do a spell until you’re more up to it. You don’t want to put stress or anything on the baby. Always go with how you’re feeling and your intuition.

6 Likes

That’s a great advice, @christina4 , thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Pregnancy is so exciting! I never felt as beautiful or powerful than when I was pregnant. I hope you enjoy the next few stages of life (or at least can find the silver lining during the less desirable parts!)

I think everyone covered it, but I just want to double down on the whole check with a licensed professional/member of your care team before using any herbal or over the counter medicines (whether it is topical or ingested). Every day things like Advil/ibuprofen for a headache or a rosemary tea or tincture can have possible adverse effects.

[note: as far as I know (I’m not an herbalist or medical professional), but the amount of rosemary used to season food is fine to ingest, but in higher concentration may cause uterine contractions… this is just from previous research from when I was pregnant last - almost a decade ago, things could have changed by now.]

6 Likes

Thank you @Elle for the wise words. Fully agree - this is my second pregnancy and the 1st one was just so magickal. I felt powerful. A warrior. All went well. I walked a lot until the very last day. Gave birth on my due date, all as I imagined/hoped. In a birth pool in a midwife-led unit. Loved it. I’m in the early 2nd trimester this time around and so far so good. Hoping to continue like this until full term:)

Also agree with what you are saying re involving a professional. I’ve been seeing an Ayurveda Practitioner/Herbalist for many years now on a monthly basis, and making sure I’m following her advice:)

I guess I was more interested in if there were any other aspects of witchcraft which I need to consider (e.g. smoke etc) - I am so new to this and wanted to make sure. It was great to see from the above advice that once again intuition is powerful and I should just follow it. If I quiet my mind, my body really gives me great advice.

5 Likes

Congratulations :heartpulse: Thank you for sharing your birth story :heartpulse: My first was a midwife-led unit in my home town, they had a pool but I was only in it until the last stage of the birth :heartpulse: I see you have had plenty of advice so far and I don’t think I can add much more, my youngest is now 10 and I did not practice the Craft when I was pregnant all those moons ago. My sister is pregnant with her first child, due in October all going well :heartpulse: So excited to be an Aunty :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Thank you so much @Liisa, yes, I agree I got many great advice here. Congrats to your sister, too, how exciting! My 2nd is also due in October :slightly_smiling_face:

Blessed Be,

4 Likes