Santa Muerte: Exploring the Depths of the 'Most Holy Death'

Hey everyone! Ever since watching the video shared by John on Don’ts with Santa Muerte, my YouTube feed has been bombarding me with videos about Santa Muerte. Growing up in Argentina, I was familiar with the cult of “San La Muerte” - a similar yet different pagan deity, known for offering protection and a chance for a better life. So I decided to explore a bit further into who is Santa Muerte, and what do worshippers seek from her?

:skull:Santa Muerte Meaning

Santa Muerte, or “Holy Death” in English, is venerated primarily in Mexico but has followers worldwide, serving as a protector, healer, and guide to the afterlife. Unlike other saints and deities, Santa Muerte stands out for her direct appeal to those living on society’s margins.

Santa Muerte on my journal

Santa Muerte is special because she supports people often ignored or judged by society, like those in crime, poor areas, or jail. They see her as a protector and a source of hope. In these places, followers show their devotion through rituals and prayers that mirror their tough situations. They ask for fairness, revenge at times, and also for love, healing, and good fortune. They give Santa Muerte gifts like candles, incense, tequila, and cigarettes, which symbolize a deep bond based on mutual respect and thanks.

She is loved because she doesn’t judge and helps those in tough situations, like poverty or danger. Santa Muerte understands their problems and offers support unconditionally.

Santa Muerte’s Colors

• :heart: Red: Love and passion
  • :white_heart: White: Purity and spiritual guidance
  • :black_heart: Black: Protection against negative forces or acknowledgment of life and death

White Santa Muerte altar
Santa Muerte in Mercado Juárez - Flickr / issa

Road Opening Santa Muerte Prayer

A powerful invocation for overcoming obstacles and drawing wealth, love, health, and prosperity into one’s life. It calls upon the Most Holy Death to grant the petitioner’s requests with the promise of eternal faithfulness.

Making a promise to Santa Muerte for lifelong loyalty is a big step. You should think carefully and learn a lot about what this means before you decide. Some people say it can change your life, but it’s a serious bond that lasts forever. Make sure it fits with what you believe and want.

Click to expand the Prayer

Most Holy Death,

I invoke you, spirit of wealth, love, health, and prosperity, endowed with great hidden power by God, through the mysteries of the holy cross. Aid me in attaining my desires, and I pledge eternal fidelity to you.

With blessings from God the Father Almighty and the guidance of my guardian angel, I express gratitude for the favors bestowed upon me.

Grant me strength to overcome obstacles, render my enemies powerless, and cultivate friendships. May victory be mine in all endeavors, and may my home thrive under your protection and virtues.

Hail Holy Death. Amen.

Santa Muerte Prosperity and Success Spell :candle:

A spell to call upon Santa Muerte for blessings of prosperity and success. Remember, working with Santa Muerte means forming a close bond. Be sure you’re ready for this kind of commitment and that it matches your true wishes and beliefs.

Santa Muerte altar
Santa Muerte - Flickr / Alejandro Hernández Osuna

You’ll need:

• 1 green candle (for prosperity and success)
  • Ground cinnamon (to attract success and abundance)
  • A small statue or image of Santa Muerte
  • A glass of water (as an offering and for purification)
  • A piece of bread (symbolizing abundance and as an offering)
  • Copal incense (for purification and to honor Santa Muerte)
  1. Begin by cleansing your space with copal incense, creating a sacred space for Santa Muerte. Set up your altar with the statue or image of Santa Muerte at the center.

2. Place the green candle in front of the statue or image. This candle represents your intentions for prosperity and success. Light the candle and focus on your desires or specific intentions.

3. As an offering, place the glass of water and piece of bread before the image of Santa Muerte. These offerings are to show your gratitude and respect. Sprinkle the ground cinnamon around the base of the candle or on the offerings.

4. Chant the following to invoke Santa Muerte’s blessings:

"Mighty Santa Muerte, guardian of the night,
I seek your power, your strength, and your light.
Bless me with prosperity, let success flow to me,
Your guidance and abundance, forever let it be."

1. Express your thanks to Santa Muerte for her presence and assistance. Allow the candle to burn down safely. Leave the offerings of water and bread on your altar until the following day, then respectfully dispose of them outdoors, returning these gifts to the earth.

Santa Muerte as a Growing Phenomenon

These short documentaries “El culto a la Santa Muerte” and “Los devotos de la Santa Muerte en México” explain the real-life impact of Santa Muerte’s worship. They show the inclusive community that has formed around her and the stories of individuals turning to her for guidance, protection, and comfort.

From my research, I gather that San La Muerte (a male death saint) and Santa Muerte (a female death saint) are not directly related to one another. I find it fascinating how the syncretism of local indigenous/folk practices with Spanish Catholicism in different regions (one in North America and the other 4,000 miles away in South America) led to the creation of two distinct death saints, Santa Muerte and San La Muerte. It showcases how deeply ingrained the concept of death is in human culture, and how it’s been interpreted to this day in various forms across the Americas.

So, that’s my deep dive into the captivating world of Santa Muerte. What about you? Have you encountered Santa Muerte in your spiritual explorations, or are there other lesser-known deities you’re intrigued by?

21 Likes

I love this post alot thank you for the prayers @Devenne and you to for the prayers you found for me :two_hearts:

13 Likes

Your welcome :grin: :heart:

12 Likes

How fascinating! I am always intrigued when Catholicism and the craft meld together. I grew up Catholic and still love a lot of the rituals and feast days, etc. so it’s exciting for me when I see my two worlds collide for good!

13 Likes

I saw a Santa Muerte candle at my local Asian market last week and wondered about her! May have to stop back another time and get a candle. Thank you for the in-depth article exploring more about her!

12 Likes

That’s so cool! It’s pretty amazing how elements from Catholicism can intertwine with other beliefs and practices. Really makes you appreciate the depth and breadth of spiritual heritage!

It’s great to see how Santa Muerte connects to so many people across different cultures. The candle could be a cool way to explore that connection a bit more or simply to appreciate the symbolism. Glad you found the post insightful!

Another thing I also wanted to mention is La Calavera Catrina, a distinct Mexican art symbol from the Day of the Dead celebrations, not directly linked to Santa Muerte. At first, the Catrina skull was dressed up fancy to make fun of rich Mexicans who acted European. Then, artist Diego Rivera made Catrina famous as a symbol of Mexican culture in his art.

The Kid by Diego Rivera

13 Likes

I got two of her candles
Come to Chicago in our Latin areas we have stores I walk past them all the time. There Mexican witchcraft stores

10 Likes

Fascinating, thank you

11 Likes

Gorgeous article. I love learning about all the wondrous variety in our world. :green_heart:

10 Likes

This thread reminded me that I saw a license plate on a vehicle a few months ago

and after this post, I decided to look more into the worship of Saint Jude / San Judas Thaddaeus in Mexico.

Saint Jude or San Judas refers to Judas Thaddeus (not to be confused with Judas Iscariot)

He is generally identified as Thaddeus (Greek: Θαδδαῖος; Armenian: Թադեոս; Coptic: ⲑⲁⲇⲇⲉⲟⲥ) and is also variously called Judas Thaddaeus, Jude Thaddaeus, Jude of James, or Lebbaeus.[4] He is sometimes identified with Jude, the brother of Jesus, but is clearly distinguished from Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus prior to his crucifixion.
(source)

Interestingly enough there is a connection to Santa Muerte -

Only the Virgin of Guadalupe and folk saint Santa Muerte can compete with St. Jude for Mexican souls. And over the past decade, competition between the nation’s number one Catholic saint and its top folk saint has become very intense, to the point that St. Jude in Mexico is now the only Catholic saint in the world who has a monthly feast day.
(source)

…the association of the saint with criminals came from the illegal copying of his image from prints in Italy, which reversed the hand on which his staff is held from right to left. As the left often symbolizes evil in Catholicism, folk belief has Judas Tadeo as the saint of both the good and the bad, with idea that sometimes the “good” can act worse than the “bad.”[6] Devotees of the saint may also venerate Santa Muerte and Jesús Malverde.
(source)

7 Likes

Very interesting! Thank you for the deep dive into these fascinating deities of death, Francisco - this insightful to read! :pray: :grinning:

An interesting addition - I wasn’t very familiar with any of these saints/deties previously, so I’m grateful for the resources! Thank you, Artemisia! :pray: :sparkles:

6 Likes