Savory Pumpkin Quiche

This one is for everyone who has too much pumpkin puree leftover from Samhain!

Savory Pumpkin Quiche

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 frozen deep-dish pie crust (9 inches)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, pumpkin, and milk until blended. Stir in bacon, mushrooms, onion, and pepper. Toss cheese with flour; stir into the egg mixture. Pour into the pie crust.

2. Bake on a lower oven rack 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

5 Likes

@Amethyst THANK YOU for another brilliant offering! I want to try this one this weekend. I think Dad will like it. (I know I would love it) We have a great farm-to-table meat market that sells the best uncured bacon that is also lower in sodium than the store brands. One of Dad’s favorites… it would be great in this!!! In fact everything in this one is on Dad’s happy list…I’ll let you know how it turns out.

3 Likes

Oh good! I’m so glad you liked it! I thought this would make a lovely Thanksgiving brunch dish. That uncured bacon sounds wonderful! Yes, please tell me if your Dad and you like it! It makes me happy to know! :hugs:

1 Like

This sounds SOOO good. I’m a much bigger fan of pumpkin when its savory, rather than sweet! :jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

So glad that you like! I think pumpkin is good both ways, it depends on the recipe, but it looks good.

2 Likes

Me, me, me! :joy: I’ve been eating pumpkin for weeks now- and there’s still a tub of it in the freezer. Luckily, there’s so many delicious ways to enjoy pumpkin! Quiche is a new one! I actually don’t think I’ve ever made quiche before. I’ll have to look into what ingredients I can find at the market- maybe I’ll adapt it a bit and make a pumpkin omellet instead :egg::yum:

As always, thank you for sharing these wonderful and mouthwatering recipes, @Amethyst! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

You’re welcome! I may have another recipe for you tomorrow that’s a pasta if you think you’d like it.

1 Like

Pasta!!! :spaghetti: Oh mamma mia do I love some pasta! :yum: But hang on- going with the pumpkin recipe trend, is it a recipe for pumpkin pasta? :jack_o_lantern::laughing:

2 Likes

Pumpkin pasta you say? You mean like this? Or like pasta with pumpkin as an ingredient. Cause I can do either. LOL.

Enjoy! :jack_o_lantern: :woman_cook:

2 Likes

I just saw the pumpkin pasta- and ahh! I’m drooling :drooling_face::two_hearts: You are like a library of pumpkin recipes, @Amethyst! I love it! :jack_o_lantern::yum:

2 Likes

I’ve got a pumpkin chai snickerdoodle to share today! It sounds yummy!

2 Likes

WHAT!?! :heart_eyes::cookie: Ohhh need to go find that now- I am loving these pumpkin recipes, @Amethyst! :partying_face::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

I had some butternut squash stuffed pasta and I got to thinking that pumpkin might be a good filling too. Only I have never made pasta and only cooked a pumpkin down once and did not like the texture… so I am a little stuck on that idea… BUT IT WOULD BE SO GOOD!!!

1 Like

Hee! Glad you like them @BryWisteria! I can always find more too! Last year during December I flooded my Dreamwidth list with recipes too. I won’t do that here, no worries, but three times a week isn’t too bad. And if anyone has a request I’m glad to track something down for them.

It does sound nice, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

I love your enthusiasm for finding and sharing recipes, @Amethyst :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: They are always so fun to read! You must truly have a huge collection of cookbooks- like a library of deliciousness! :yum::two_hearts::books:

2 Likes

Thanks! I find most of my recipes online, I get them mailed to me and things like that. Just yesterday I was mailed a list of interesting crock pot recipes for Thanksgiving, including a pumpkin pie cheesecake for a crock pot!

Boy, would that smell good as it cooked!

2 Likes

What a fun present to get in the mail! :heart_eyes::love_letter: I imagine it’s exciting to open up the list and see what tasty recommendations they have :yum:

And what!?!? I’ve heard of rice cooker cakes but never a crock pot cheesecake! :astonished: Does it seem like a very complicated recipe? :pie::thinking:

2 Likes

Not too bad, the worst is that it starts out with pumpkin cut and peeled, which you then make into a puree. I reckon as long as you measure it out to however many grams it is, you can just use pumpkin puree from the start. It’s got roasted pecans and pumpkin seeds on top, coated in maple syrup. I’ll post that tomorrow if you’d like. :pie:

2 Likes

Ohhhh I see, @Amethyst! I usually quarter the pumpkin, de-seed it, roast it with oil, and then take the skin off- it comes off so easily after being baked! :yum: I wonder if that would affect how long it spends in the crockpot? :thinking: I would love to take a look at the recipe- yes, please! All hail recipe queen Kasie! :raised_hands::grin:

2 Likes

You got it! I’ll probably post some side dishes next week. Or leftover dishes.

2 Likes