Secular Witchcraft: 8 Examples of Science-Based Craft

Today I’m exploring the concept of secular witchcraft through real examples and practices that this type of practitioner might find interesting.

So, what exactly is secular witchcraft? By definition, it’s a type of witchcraft that doesn’t involve any religious elements.

Who can be a secular witch? Whether you’re religious or not, you can practice secular witchcraft because it doesn’t involve deities or spiritual rituals traditionally associated with religious practices. Think of it as witchcraft stripped down to its practical components—focusing purely on the Craft itself.

Embracing Science and Rationality

One part that I find the most engaging is using scientific principles to question and develop our practices, for example, integrating psychological knowledge into more traditional aspects of the Craft.

8 Examples of Science-Based Witchcraft Practices

Here are some real-life examples of how to practice a secular Craft:

1. Tarot for Psychological Insight :tarot_card:

Tarot cards are used not to predict the future but to help explore deep thoughts and patterns in behavior, such as Jungian archetypes, which are universal patterns and themes found within the human psyche. Source

2. Herbalism Grounded in Science :herb:

In secular witchcraft, the study of plants helps to figure out which parts of herbs, like the calming parts of lavender, can make herbal remedies work better. Source

3. Astrology as Behavioral Science :ringer_planet:

Astrology is used to better understand personalities based on astrological signs, helping people grow and understand themselves better, rather than predicting what will happen in their lives. Source

4. Crystal Healing with a Scientific Twist :quartz_crystal:

Crystals are selected and used for their physical features, such as quartz’s ability to focus energy, which helps improve concentration and relaxation during meditation. Source

5. Energy Work Based on Psychological Concepts :raised_hands:

Energy work techniques like meditation and visualizing protective shields are based on psychological ideas like mindfulness and the placebo effect, which help improve mental health. Source

6. Incorporating Neurology into Spell Work :brain:

Spells use knowledge about how our brains respond to smells and sounds to bring about specific feelings, such as calmness or focus. Source

7. Psychosomatic Healing :medical_symbol:

Visualization in healing spells uses the connection between mind and body, supported by studies showing that imagining things can lead to real changes in the body. Also affirmations and symbolic acts can help change and improve negative thinking patterns. Source

8. Ethnobotany in Herbal Magic :cactus:

Knowledge of how different cultures have used herbs historically helps choose and use herbs more effectively in spells and rituals, making them more effective and culturally meaningful. Resources

Different Approaches to Secular Witchcraft

Secular practice of witchcraft can vary widely, adapting to personal or communal values without relying on traditional religious beliefs. Two prominent examples are LaVeyan Satanism and Unitarian Universalism, each offering a unique take on how secular ideas can be integrated into spiritual practices.

:pentagram: LaVeyan Satanism: Focused on the Individual and Skepticism

LaVeyan Satanism, created by Anton LaVey, prioritizes individualism, skepticism, and a materialistic view of the world. It uses the symbol of Satan not as a deity, but as an icon of personal freedom and self-empowerment.

Satanic Temple

This approach is highly individualistic, encouraging personal growth and self-reliance. It rejects spiritual or religious beliefs that can’t be proven scientifically, focusing instead on tangible and observable truths.

:rainbow_flag: Unitarian Universalism: Community-Centric and Inclusive

Unitarian Universalism (UU), on the other hand, emphasizes community and inclusivity. It welcomes people from diverse backgrounds, including atheists and agnostics, in a supportive community setting.

Unitarian Universalism

UUs value actions that promote social justice and respect for all, rather than following a strict set of spiritual beliefs. This makes it a communal and ethical approach to spirituality, where members support each other in living out shared values.

Book Recommendations :books:

If you’re interested in learning more about spirituality without traditional religion, here are some great books to start with. They cover topics like atheism, magic, and how science can connect with nature and spirituality.

• Godless Paganism by John Halstead
  • The Anthropology of Magic by Susan Greenwood
  • Brain Magick by Philip H. Farber
  • Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer
  • The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey
  • The Unitarian Universalist Pocket Guide by Susan Frederick-Gray

As a short disclaimer, I would add: Don’t selectively use scientific facts to support personal beliefs while ignoring other evidence that may contradict those beliefs. Science is about considering all the evidence, not just what fits a specific narrative.

With that, secular witchcraft is a great path that honors the history of witchcraft while updating it for modern practitioners. How do you integrate rationality and science into your witchcraft practices?

18 Likes

I find it interesting that I follow all of these – especially the first four – but then add spirits on the side as well. :laughing:

16 Likes

I love this post and can’t wait to delve into it further after the weekend. As a scientific person who is also spiritual, I would enjoy finding more ways to combine the two in my practice! :woman_scientist: :star2:

11 Likes

Fabulous, so interesting, and part of this resonates with me and understanding the nature of chaos. :green_heart:

9 Likes

Same here!

12 Likes

This was kind of my starting point into witchcraft :sparkling_heart: My studies into psychology still serve me well, and I’m critical of my sources. Chemistry and biology are herbalist’s and potion maker’s best friends, and astronomy maps out the stars and planets and tracks their movements. Information science helps us organize and handle the vast amounts of information we come across. It all gives a good basis for an informed and effective intuitive approach.

In the end I found out that I’m not an atheist at all and never was, so today I call myself a soft polytheist :smile: I love my deities and demons, and I appreciate their presence and personalities :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

Oh, I love this so much!

I have seen so many people ignore the science when it comes to witchcraft! Science, witchcraft, and paganism go hand in hand and are so, so necessary! I mean, if you mix the wrong herbs and consume them in the name of a witchcraft infusion? You could die. If you put pyrite in water as a crystal infusion and drink it? You could die (it creates sulfuric acid, if you didn’t know).

Science is so important when practicing witchcraft!

7 Likes

6 Likes