Shadow Work for Fighting "Toxic Positivity"

You’re very welcome!! I’m glad to of helped someone by recommending the app.

3 Likes

Yes,. I agree with you :100:!!!

4 Likes

My sisters have said everything to me on the right (and still do occasionally)! :confounded:
While I believe that the majority of people who are being “toxic positive” have good intentions, the wording just comes off as a command to me. Sometimes, it’s just better to let off steam, in a healthy way that is, than force yourself to be happy or think positive thoughts.

5 Likes

I feel as if all the statements on the right seem dismissive in a way to people who struggle and suffer with mental illness. I have PTSD, anxiety, bipolar disorder and struggle hard with bipolar depression. I took meds until I was in my mid 20s and quit taking them because I felt like I was missing out on life and in a way that it was selfish to take them when I had so many things that I should be celebrating and that it was keeping me from letting the beauty around me make my world brighter. That’s when I discovered my passion for my artwork but it also led me to addiction because I was trying to achieve the same effects of medication without having to admit that I was on medication. I’m in recovery now and I have 2 months under my belt and I’m learning to take everything one day at a time. I still have days where it’s almost impossible to get out of bed or when I continuously wonder “why me” and on those days when people use phrases on the right my illnesses tell me that others are just trying to sweep my feelings under the rug even though they mean well and in reality are just trying to help. So now on the days when I’m struggling and feeling like a waste of space I make a deal with myself. If I get up and force myself to do one thing that I feel is impossible then I can allow myself to take some time out for me doing absolutely nothing else if I still feel like I just can’t. But more often than not forcing myself to get up and just brush my hair or make my bed gives that boost to my mind and I end up becoming the little engine that could. Sometimes it only covers basic needs like showering or picking up the dirty laundry that never found its way to the laundry room other days I manage to venture out into the world but those are the days when someone takes the time to validate my feelings and it can be as simple as someone saying “hey you look like you aren’t feeling well so is there something I can do to lighten the load for you?” And that offer in itself is enough to make me look at myself and pull it together so that I’m not putting my responsibility on someone else too. Just a thought from my experience because I know I’ve been known to be seen as insensitive a time or two just because I didn’t know how else to help.

6 Likes

Oof, I love it I love it!!! We’re on the same page here!!!

5 Likes