Smudge Kit Question

Hi all! My name is Sophie and I am a baby witch trying to figure out my place in witchcraft and Wicca. In my research, there is one answer I am having trouble finding for some reason. I bought a smudge kit from Etsy and it came with a feather. I see a lot of kits online come with this feather. What is it for? Thank you so much for accepting me into this family :heart:

2 Likes

Hi Sophie! Welcome to the forum! :dizzy:

The feather is for fanning the sage bundle once you light it and create smoke. You can see how it’s done here:

How to Smudge with Sage and a Feather

Use a match to light it up at the bottom. You never want to blow on it cause it’s blowing your spirit away so you always want to fan on it. You can get a fan or a feather to fan it.

About “smudge kits”, you should know that there are all sorts of controversies online about the moral aspect of buying these kits.

Personally, I believe that as long as you don’t partcipate in cultural or environmental exploitation, you can do whatever you want in the privacy of your home and for the sake of your personal spiritual path.

As a general rule, try to shop locally and always look for Fair trade labels.

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I will be sure to do more research as to not appropriate or exploit any cultures without realizing it.

2 Likes

Sure! Also, I forgot to mention that you can use other herbs for the purpose of spiritually cleansing or purifying a room/object:

For example:

You can use an incense stick, resins, or dried herbs. :herb:

Other methods are Elemental clearings with salt, water, sand, ringing a bell as explained here.

Many blessings! :pray:

2 Likes