Soft Lemon Meade

I promised @BryWisteria and a couple of others I’d post this so here it is!

Soft Lemon Mead (for those who prefer non-alcoholic drinks)

1 quart water
1 cup honey
¼ cup lemon juice
½ cup lemon juice
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
Barest pinch of salt

Boil water, honey, and ½ cup lemon juice in a non-reactive pot until reduced to three cups. Add ¼ cup lemon juice, spices, and salt. Chill. Shake before serving.

Galenorn, Yasmine. Embracing the Moon: A Witch’s Guide to Shamanic Magick (pp. 197-198). Nightqueen Enterprises LLC. Kindle Edition.

6 Likes

Great, thanks!! :+1:

I’ve been drinking lots of homemade kombucha at home (my wife makes it). But maybe I can surprise her with some homemeade mead! How long do you think it would take to make?

3 Likes

I’m not really sure, I haven’t made it, but I’d say about an hour to boil it down. That is if you’re not doing a hard boil. Maybe more? The hardest part of course is estimating when you’ve got down to three cups without burning yourself trying to measure. I wish the recipe had given an idea, like when the meade stuck to the back of a spoon or something. A consistency. But it does sound good if you can figure it out.

3 Likes

LOL yes, I think I’ll be eyeballing it and youtubeing it too! :laughing:

4 Likes

This is awesome, @Amethyst! :heart_eyes: Ohhh I was really excited for this recipe and it does look tasty- have to save this one to give it a try! :yum: I know alcoholic mead has to ferment/rest for a long time (weeks to months, if I’m remembering correctly!) so this tasty brew sounds much quicker and easier! Thanks so much for sharing :honey_pot::lemon::two_hearts:

3 Likes

YouTube sounds like a great idea @Francisco!

You’re very welcome! It does sound easier than something that would take months. :hugs:

2 Likes

That sounds delicious :yum: I have a soft spot for anything lemon! :lemon:

3 Likes

It sounds as if it would be good, especially if you have a sore throat, what with all that honey and lemon. I’d love to try it but I’m afraid my blood sugar would go through the roof! LOL.

2 Likes

Yes, honey does have a lot of sugar- maybe you could adjust the recipe to use less? :honey_pot: It won’t be as sweet, but it may not affect your blood sugar as much. The beauty of homemade recipes is the ability to experiment with amounts and ingredients! :grin:

I think you’re absolutely right- this soft meade sounds like a great (and very tasty) home remedy for a sore throat :+1:

1 Like

I wonder if I could use agave syrup instead? That’s supposed to be like honey but okay for your blood sugar. Guess I’d have to try it and see. Not happening anytime soon, but it’s a thought. Thanks!

1 Like

Ohhh I’ve seen this on the shelves before but never used it myself! An alternative sweeter that’s less upsetting to your blood sugar could be just what you need :+1: . I’ve also heard of the herb sweeter called Stevia that some people use to enhance a sweet flavor, minus the sugar :thinking:. Best to do some research and double-check with your doctor first, but I imagine it’s very likely you can find a sugar substitute that works for you, Kasie! :blush:

That’s a good idea, especially since I’m allergic to most artificial sweeteners. Still, it’s a thought! Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like