Solar Eclipse-Pets & Crafts

I’ve been surfing a bit, and I noticed I have a few gems not shared by others. I hope these can be helpful, not only this weekend, but for life.

First, our pets don’t automatically understand rare events like solar eclipses. Some pets don’t live long enough to see more than one. I had a different bird during the last eclipse, and that bird was very upset that there was a clear sky, but it was getting dark out at the wrong time of day. It just felt odd to her. I do try to comfort my pets when I know something odd is going to happen, but that doesn’t mean they will understand. I tell my birds it will become dark at the wrong time of day, but they are safe. It’s OK to sleep through the event. I leave calming music on for them when I go out to watch. A spray of lavender could help if pets get too stressed. Some people bring dogs outdoors, not thinking they could look up and hurt their eyes, too. My best friend is planning on keeping her cats indoors with shades drawn for their safety. It would be good to get walks in beforehand and afterwards.

People crafts include pinhole postcards. Well, it’s not quite a pin hole. Take an index card or thick piece of cardstock that sticks out straight when held by one corner. In the center simewhere, punch a hole about half the thickness of a pencil. Take the card outside and hold it parallel to the ground. The card will cast an image of what is going on above onto the ground.

I think it was 1982, in New Haven, Indiana: I was showing my younger cousin how to harvest rhubarb when he noticed a reflection on my glasses. We’d had no idea there was going to be an eclipse, no craft instructions. Evan saw something odd going on in the reflection of the glass of my spectacles. Somehow, we both were smart enough to watch the event in the reflection of my glasses rather than looking up. I was considering taking a glass jar out to see if the eclipse would reflect well in that. Sunglasses won’t protect eyes enough for direct viewing, but they might be a good reflective surface.

Oh, side note: don’t harvest rhubarb during a solar eclipse. Ours died.

During a solar eclipse in the early 2010’s, someone offered me old photo negatives they weren’t going to get pictures off of. Such things are becoming rare, and the negatives are unusable afterward. If you do try it, stack 2 or 3 together before trying to look through them. I cannot guarantee eye safety, though, so other methods are preferable.

Now for something extra Magical which no one else seems to have noticed. Look on the ground while approaching the usual shade of a tree. The placement of leaves makes natural pinholes all over! It feels like walking on glitter. There will be mini crescent moons all over the place! If there is a breeze, the images will dance! Nature casts Her own form of Magick!

I discovered this one in Berne, Indiana in the early 1990’s when my mother, grandmother, and I went out to eat, again with no clue we were going to have an extraordinary astronomical event that day.

Keep looking down! Blessings Be!

12 Likes

I am super bummed because we won’t be able to see if this go around! We got to see the last big North American Solar Eclipse several years ago. I was teaching and we held our kids an extra hour so they wouldn’t be on the bus druing the eclipse and had a big party. The district ordered glasses for the schools, but then couldn’t garauntee that they were safe and wouldn’t let us look at the eclipse. It was a fun, but crazy day! The best part was looking at shadows during the eclipse, all circles have a wedge taken out of them! It was so neat! I hope you enjoy, but please do take care to use proper eye safety! It’s gorgeous, but definitely not worth blinding yourself over!

10 Likes

This is a really good point- while many people will take care to protect their eyes during the eclipse, our furry and other animal friends won’t know any better. It is a smart idea to keep dogs, cats, and other pets in a place where they won’t stare at the eclipse whenever possible.

Thank you for these awesome eclipse tips, Georgia! According to the maps, it looks like we won’t be able to see the eclipse visibily from here in New England, but the energy in the air will still be pretty intense :sparkles:

Wishing you a blessed new moon eclipse! :black_circle:

8 Likes

You as well, me dear!

7 Likes

@georgia Thank you! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

I got to see the solar eclipse a couple of years ago when it passed over Nevada when we lived there. It was such a wonderful and amazing thing! I remember that I was in training for a new job and we all took time out of our training to go outside with special glasses to watch the eclipse! Here’s a map of the United States where the eclipse will be visible when it happens.

Image Source - NASA

I’ll be able to see it here at about 50%…strength? Illumination? :joy: I’m not sure which word to use!

There’s also an interactive map for those who live in South America that might be able to see the eclipse, too. The interactive map is here → Eclipse Path of Annular Solar Eclipse on October 14, 2023

Thank you for the reminders of safety, @georgia :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: it’s often easy to forget those reminders when something amazing is happening!

6 Likes

I live in eastern Nevada. Our town is going all out for the Eclipse because we are in the 90% zone.

6 Likes

Ooh! I’m so excited, today!

If we are Spirit, uniting with our deities at the time our physical bodies fall over, the physical plane is the only place where we can witness this interplay of light and shadow. There is a natural beauty to it all, a form of Magic which Nature Herself casts.

I’ve survived several, so there is no fear, here, no reason to hide as long as I act in accordance with eye safety. The energy I sense may be the end of one way of life which was not working for me, but it is also the beginning of a new way which WILL work better for me and all around me. This is what I tell my bird, whether he understands or not.

I will be leaving on my “Quarters CD”- the music I play when I cast each morning in winter because summer is too hot for candles and incense. If I leave the overhead light burning, Albus won’t be as affected by the odd look of the natural light. Since I only have north facing windows, I don’t have to worry about an accidental viewing which may hurt his tiny, precious eyes. He will probably choose to sleep through the darkest, as my previous birds have, though the odd light at first will get him excited.

My prayers will be for a breakthrough from the local negativity after Covid; for help for the people who find themselves homeless or stealing, causing local stores to close and hurting those of us who don’t have transportation to get supplies; and for the relief of everyone experiencing burn out for any reason. If anyone wishes to join me in my prayers, welcome.

4 Likes