Spell Organization

Is it just my OCD or does anyone else have issues with not being able to find a spell when you want it?

I have several books I have bought which contain spells that I can’t see rewriting in my BOS because they are already wrote down. But lately it’s been driving me crazy because I know I have a spell and don’t know where it is. I have 4 BOS and at least 6 other books I have bought that have spells.

So this week my need for organization hit me hard. I have been going through every book I have and writing the name of the spell on an index card and filing them in a recipe box. This is taking forever and I’ve only gotten through 1 book.

How do you organize your spells so you know where to find them? Or don’t you?

14 Likes

I only typically write down the spells that are absolute favorites that I use again and again. I have lofty dreams of a big grimoire filled with spells and notes, handwritten of course, that can be passed down through the generations… but that hasn’t happened yet. I tend to believe the right spell will find me when I need it… hence the reason I don’t really write them down!

I feel ya though, on not being able to find what you need! I am currently looking for a wax seal kit that I know I own. I have looked EVERYWHERE that I thought that it was and I still cannot find it! UGH! I’m also missing my new pendulum which I cannot seem to put my hand on. It is VERY frustrating!

14 Likes

I like your idea of the recipe box. That sounds like a good solution.
I hear you having a lot of resources and trying to feel more prepared and organized.
When I feel feverish about finding a specific spell and I can’t that is usually a sign for me to go slow. It means I have left my physical body and i need to return to do the spell. So I Breathe and ask my guides, and Pantheon to help me find the spell that will be for my highest good. Then I usually find just want I need.
Trusting that the seen and unseen with take care of me if I ask for help… sometimes out loud… :purple_spell_candle: :spider_web: :witch_pentacle:

13 Likes

Mines a chaotic mess, everything in one binder, full of notebooks. But!!! Ta da :partying_face: I’ve bought a big nice book which I’m going to split into sections:

My stuff (experiences, journal etc)
Spells
Nordic studies

We’ll see if I succeed or no :person_shrugging: as this sort of organisation goes against the way I’m wired :rofl:

12 Likes

I ran across a locate missing items spell yesterday! But I have no idea which book it was in! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I remember thinking I needed to put that one in my card catalogue but didn’t get it in there.

I was doing that too but then thought , “oh wait! What if my daughter or granddaughter want one of these others spells some day?” So started writing them all. :woman_shrugging:t2:

That’s a good idea! Why didn’t I think of that! I bet they would help me find the one I wanted or one that’s even better! :woman_facepalming:t2:

I bought one of those too! I now have two of them and they are over stuffed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 Likes

Well, I’ll be the outlier here (again or rather as usual!!! :laughing:)

I am very organized and have digital items in nested folders according to type. I have all my printed ones put in alphabetical order (after being organized to type) as well. Do I know where everything is all the time? No. But it doesn’t take me long to find it. :woman_shrugging: (chaos/disorganization and I do not get along :joy:)

10 Likes

It’s a gift, I love chaos but not in my grimoire :rofl:

10 Likes

I’m with @tracyS on this. Love the chaos just not trying to find spells. I very seldom use my computer so having things on there is pointless for me. And if I only had my one grimoire (the printed out one in binders) it would be easier. The ones in binders are very organized. It’s just all of the books I have that have spells, I can’t see typing them all out and printing them when they are already in print. Your way sounds very organized tho!

10 Likes

I just have my one BOS. Before I do a spell I write it in my BOS with a Title. I feel the power in the ink on the page. The energy of my intentions marking the paper

10 Likes

I can see how that would help in casting a spell. I usually read over them, if not creating a new one, a few times and concentrate on them before doing them. If i create a new spell then I write it in my handwritten BOS and reread it a few times before casting. But I like to use spells out of my Of Blood and Bones book, my book on Fae, and another grimoire or two I bought. I hate having to look through all the books to remember which book it’s in.

9 Likes

I’ve just started going through my Nordic spell books and writing the title and page number of my favourite spells on a piece of paper, which I will then stick in each book. :person_shrugging: Time will tell if this works, but it’s a try. :rofl:

9 Likes

Sounds like a good plan! That sounds way simpler than what my OCD brain decided I needed to do. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

I’m like a lot of others here. I don’t tend to write down a lot of my spells unless I do them regularly or they work well :laughing: I do have a little collection of spells I find interesting, but nothing too crazy.

My Notion grimoire is organized by tags because that’s the way my brain likes to work. I like Notion because it allows me to keep things pretty organized without too much effort.

10 Likes

I wish I used my laptop more. It would be so much easier to organize! I think I’m just too old school. :rofl::rofl: not to mention, I have had too many laptops freeze up or just quit working and nobody could ever figure out why and thus lost a lot of saved information.

9 Likes

There’s also something nice about books and paper, although my hand would currently disagree from all the writing I’m doing right now, putting everything on paper. :rofl:

10 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I agree! All the writing I’ve been doing in putting spells on notecards I’m gonna have carpel tunnel ontop of everything else! :rofl::rofl::rofl: but I do like the handwritten better than computer.

8 Likes

One of my books is organized by the materials used. First, I separated the spells by whether they required physical items, a mix of physical and mental energies, or purely spiritual work. Then I gathered the spells by common themes. I found it works for me.

I also dreamed of a comprehensive grimoire, once upon a time. A lovely movie I watched recently (Little Witch with Karoline Herfurth)

showed one containing 7892 spells, which had to be memorized in one year. I haven’t counted what I have, but I’m confident I’ve learned about that many. The problem and joke of it all was the book was bigger than the witch! Why didn’t she think to find a miniaturizing spell like the one Merlin uses in Disney’s Sword and the Stone to carry it home with her?

pack-up-suitcase

8 Likes

Great organization! One of my medications for my fibromyalgia affects my memory so I have a hard time with memorization now. The only one I have memorized is my migraines oil because I’ve made so many bottles of it for people I know.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: yes! That spell should have been somewhere in that big book!

7 Likes