📖 Spells8 Book Club XII (Nov 5 - Dec 3)

Awesome, thanks for your review @Siofra! And congrats on finishing The Morrigian :raised_hands: I’ll move this lovely review into the next Reader’s Review Discussion when it launches at the end of this book club session.

Until then, perhaps you have another book you’re excited about reading? :books::blush:

6 Likes

Yes! I am adding it to the Book Club now! I’m actually well into reading it already. :joy: I just hadn’t posted the review of the first book yet. :books:

The last week has been somewhat of a whirlwind that had it’s ups & downs & all around. Today is my first day to have for me, so I’m taking my time getting moving & enjoying my coffee :coffee:

7 Likes

Ohhh I see it in the list- hope you’re enjoying Raven Goddess, it sounds like a perfect book for you, Siofra! :heart:

I hope you were able to enjoy some quality “me time” too- happy reading! :books::blush:

7 Likes

Book Title and Author: The Witch at the Forest’s Edge by Christine Grace

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

My personal thoughts/opinions: The Witch at the Forest’s Edge was written, at first, as teaching material for the Forest’s Edge tradition co-founded by the author, Christine Grace. This book relates back to my own practice because it is animistic and spirit-centered. The book leaves plenty of theological wiggle room and approaches deity and spirit in a non-dogmatic way.

I very much appreciated the way the book was written and laid out. The author makes it clear from the beginning that while this book is based on her tradition, it will not be for everyone and that’s okay. There were some very interesting parts in this book that I will be going back and reading again. One part in particular I appreciated was the idea of spiritual ancestors. This is the connection we have as magical people to the magical people that have come before us. In everything we do, we are connected with them. One way I see this is through crochet. I am connected to my grandmother who crocheted, but also to her ancestors that crocheted and any other fiber artist around the world. We are connected through our common interests and skills.

This is applied throughout witchcraft, too. Do you practice divination and tarot? You have spiritual ancestors through diviners and tarot readers of the past. The same is said for everything else! It really opened my eyes to just how connected everything is in that respect.

There was another interesting section on hedgeriding, also called Spirit Flight. This is something I am really, really interested in but have never been able to accomplish. With the guidance in this book, I am now more confident in my ability to get it done. It just takes practice!

An interesting quote from the book

What does it mean that magic workers are outsiders? It positions us nicely in the liminal space between the nucleus of mass culture and the realms beyond. We’ve always straddled this line between being admired and needed and feared and disowned. The language of witch places our magic even more firmly at the margins – even among magic workers that term stands out. With that word, we reclaim the power of doing magical work that is not socially sanctioned by dominant powers. Chapter 11: The Practical Use of Magical Theory; Page 158

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

7 Likes

I missed the last one but I’ve read a few books since then so I’ll review a couple this time.
A few quick thoughts on them:

“The Inner Mysteries” by Farrar & Bone - This book has a very interesting section on Wiccan cosmology and is a deeper look into the craft than a 101 book.

“Year of the Magickal Dragon” by Virginia Chandler - I actually bought this one because I loved the cover art but I ended up intrigued by dragon energies and am trying to work it into my practice.

“The Crooked Path” by Kelden - A few problems with misinformation and the general tone/agenda but the author makes a good point about local spirits and has a nice idea for using the besom.

8 Likes

Sounds like a good one @MeganB I love the idea of spiritual ancestors and connections to those who aren’t necessarily genetic ancestors but still deeply connected to us. Good luck with the hedgeriding, definitely seems like it will be a rewarding pursuit!

8 Likes

Book Title and Author:

Pagan Portals: Raven Goddess, Going Deeper with the Morrigan by: Morgan Daimler

Status? Finished

My overall rating of the book : 10 /10 :star2:

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I have been learning about the Morrigan because I feel a strong pull towards Her. I have recently realized, that the pull is stronger when I need strength for something. I kind of wonder if it’s related to all of the losses I have had since July. :thinking:

My personal thoughts/opinions: This is a great book to learn more about who the Morrigan was & her relation to being a Triple Moon Goddess, Maiden Mother Crone, Waxing, Full, Waning & Her sisters. The additional & more thorough interpretations that leave you to draw your own conclusions based on the information & some great research that has been done. Plus understanding the time period & then bringing Her to a modern context.

An interesting quote from the book: "The Morrigan stands before us & says: Who rules your life? Dare to be your own sovereign, dare to rule over your own flesh, dare to be in control of your own self. "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes absolutely :100:

7 Likes

I just started a 3rd book & added it to the Wiki. :books: :two_hearts:

6 Likes

You’re amazing, @Siofra- I wish I could read like you! :blush: Great job and I’m so glad that you enjoyed Pagan Portals! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope the great streak of books continues and your next book is just as enjoyable for you :heart:

5 Likes

I really like the Pagan Portals series. I actually just recommended Pagan Portals to my family member that is just starting out!

5 Likes

Haha :laughing: me too!!

7 Likes

I like the sounds of this book!!

6 Likes

@TheTravelWitch there’s no author from the book I’m using for the challenge. Is that ok? I’m using: The Witches Almanac; The Sun: Rays of Hope Issue 40

6 Likes

I suppose “The Witches’ Almanac” could technically serve as the “author” as it’s the name of the collection? But then again, if there’s no author, then there’s no author- it is what it is! :laughing: No worries there, Christina :grin:

Blessed reading! :open_book:

6 Likes

Ok thanks :relaxed:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: Beginner’s Guide To Runes by: Josh Simonds

Status? : Finished – the rest of the book is the basic spreads layout & additional resources.

My overall rating of the book : 10 /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: I have gained interest since learning about the Morrigan, Celtic Paganism, & helping my family member with the Norse Pantheon. Then when I found out that you can use them for so many different facets of magic, my interest got stronger.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I love the way that the book is written from the author’s point of view & his experiences. Almost like he is sitting with you & teaching you about the runes. It gives examples for other uses & runes that would be complimentary in a bindrune or other talisman.

An interesting quote from the book: “Runic magic is far more than divination & inscribing on talismans or amulets. You can create & maintain a rune altar, you can meditate with runes, and you can even intone them or ingest them on food. Runic magic can be a solitary practice, or it can be a form of magic to use as a complement to other types of magic.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes absolutely

I may start another book, but I’m not going to enter it until the next book club. I have a busy couple of weeks starting tomorrow, & I don’t know that I will finish the book.

4 Likes

Look at you go, @Siofra- you’re amazing! :star_struck: :books: You’ve been reading so much about your passions and it sounds like you’re learning a ton of new information about the Morrigan and runes, good for you! :raised_hands:

It sounds like Beginner’s Guide to Runes is definitely worth a read for anyone interested in working with runes- thanks so much for sharing your review! :sparkles: I’ll move it over into the Reader’s Review post as soon as it goes live next Friday :blush:

5 Likes

Friendly reminder time!

:grey_exclamation: The current reading period will end in one week :grey_exclamation:

A Reader’s Review post will appear in the forums in one week for everyone to share their thoughts and see what other coven members were reading.

I hope everyone is enjoying their reading so far! I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s thoughts and learning about new books next week :books: :blush:

Happy reading and blessed be :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes