šŸ“– Spells8 Book Club XIII (Dec 10 - Jan 7)

Hi, I hope you donā€™t mind, I moved your book discussion & added it to the Book Club that just started Dec 10. Feel free to fully review the book once you have finished also! There is a Review Template & the reviews will either be moved to or placed there once this session ends. :hugs:

5 Likes

@Susurrus Donā€™t sell yourself short- I know youā€™re an amazing reader, Siofra! And thereā€™s nothing wrong with getting a head start haha. It sounds like Celtic Tree Magic is a really enjoyable read for you- I hope it continues to be awesome! :open_book: :blush:

@Jem1 Welcome to Book Club, Jem! This is a very casual place to chat about witchy books and share book recommendations with one another :books: :grinning: It sounds like This Poison Heart is a really interesting book- thatā€™s so cool that it explores the Greek pantheon! I learned about Circe not too long ago and she seems like a really interesting witch/sorceress/scientist (her identity varies greatly depending on who you talk to! :laughing:). I wonder what role she will play in this book? Very interesting- thanks for the recommendation and enjoy your reading, Jem! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

Ok,thank you :relaxed:

6 Likes

Thanks you!

6 Likes

Youā€™re very welcome, @jem1! Blessed be :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

Lovely review @jem1 thatā€™s great that you are going to start a new book too! At the end of the book club session, the reviews here will be moved to a Readerā€™s Review post of their own.

:star: :infinite_roots:

(Thereā€™s nothing that you need to do, just an FYI how it works from here once the session closes)

We typically use the following template for that post:

Book Title and Author:

Status? :

My overall rating of the book : /10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book:

All in all, would I recommend this book?:

I copy & paste it into a word document & just update it as I finish the books & copy/paste it here. I hope this helps for future books!

Which other types of titles are you looking for? If you have a Kindle account, there are a lot of pagan titles :books: highly discounted or free through Kindle Unlimited. They also connect to Audible :ear: to listen to the book titles or other sound offerings by them.

I still enjoy a physical book most times, but do have quite the Kindle library now. :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Pagan Portals has some good book series too on different aspects of Paganism & working with different Gods/Goddesses/Pantheons. Or just Paganism itself. Sometimes those are available pretty accessible or reasonably priced. :books:

4 Likes

@Susurrus Well I hope you get more out of the book than I did, and I definitely understand why you have to restart the book over. I think Iā€™ll look up the book you just finished The Spirit of Celtic Gods & Goddesses: Their History, Magical Power, & Healing Energies By: Carl McColman & Kathryn Hinds with a foreword by Courtney Weber maybe that will be more insightful to me.

4 Likes

@Christine13 I can see why it would come off more meh to you, I would definitely look into at least the Pagan Portals recommendations from @MeganB. I have read other titles that relate only with Brigid, such as the ones mentioned here, & I have found that this book does have a bias slant & is more for working with Brigid after knowing the mythology & stories of her.

The previous book that I read is much better for a starting point with learning about the Celtic Pantheon & then moving to a series from Pagan Portals or the actual Irish/Celtic myths, stories, legends for the God or Goddess that you are learning or connecting with for your practice.

I also recommend learning the Goddess & Saint aspects because it is impossible to separate them as MeganB mentioned.

So far, this book is very helpful with ideas for bringing Brigid into your daily life, prayers, & things of that nature. Not so much About Brigid herself.

4 Likes

Exactly, itā€™s a book for when you know of her. It definitely wasnā€™t a good starting point. So I downloaded Pagan Portals on Brigid because of past posts about Pagan Portals being a great series, and will check out some of these other titles from Megan. And of course, if you read anything about Celtic Mythology that youā€™d think would be good, please let me know.

4 Likes

I will look through my libraries tomorrow & see what the titles & authors are for you :hugs,:

4 Likes

Once I started working with Brigid originally it was a frenzy of learning about her, which led to my Celtic Pagan path & even more learning. I went about it backward. The book that I read previously is a great place to start, I also have

The Book of Celtic Myths: From the might of Celtic warriors to the magic of the Fae Folk, The storied history & folklore of Ireland, Scotland, Brittany, & Wales by: Adams Media

Celtic Mythology by: Sofia Visconti

Uncovering Celtic Mythology: A Beginnerā€™s Guide Into the world of Celtic myths folklore, fairy tales, folklore, warriors, Celtic God & Creatures by: Lucas Russo

I also read the Celtic Paganism & Irish Paganism from Pagan Portals. Then branched out from there. I hope this helps! If I come across anything else I will let you know!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! :heart: :heart: Iā€™m reading Celtic Mythology by: Sofia Visconti now. Iā€™m enjoying that one.

4 Likes

The last book club was a complete fail for me. Despite good intentions I didnā€™t get to the end of either of the books I planned to read. Starting from scratch with a new book which Iā€™ve now added and will continue to work my way through the others.

6 Likes

@Christine13 I hope youā€™re enjoying Celtic Mythology so far, Christine! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@IrisW No worries, Iris- itā€™s a crazy busy time of year, and I think you have even more on your plate at the moment than most people do! Enjoy your reading when youā€™re able- I hope your new book turns out to be a great one for you :blush::open_book:

4 Likes

I did enjoy the book! @TheTravelWitch And thanks for reminding me, I need to review it because I had read another book since then. I tend to get books confused with one another when reading too many in a row.

4 Likes

Ooo. this sounds like I will have to read it sooner than I had originally planned. I had read her other book when I was learning about runes, Norse Mythology, Celtic Mythology & Runes (If I remember correctly itā€™s some kind of 3 in 1 series.) I do remember enjoying her style of writing. Thank you for the review :hugs:

4 Likes

I just got this book and started reading it! I like it already and I only read a couple chapters.

5 Likes

Today marks the end of this reading period!

A discussion will soon open up in the forum for everyone to share their thoughts and swap book reviews :open_book:

Please keep an eye on the forums for the soon-to-appear post! :eyes:

:exclamation: The few wonderful reviews already posted here have since been re-homed in the Readersā€™ Reviews post to make them easier to find!

fantasy-arena
Gif from Tenor

Didnā€™t finish your book or just got started ? No worries!

Feel free to share your thoughts so far and chime in on the reviews that your fellow coven members have shared. You may find a recommendation for a new book! :open_book:

After a one-week review period, the next reading session will begin: Next Friday, January 14th. Feel free to continue reading your current book into the next session or start a brand new book at that time!

Happy reading and reviewing! :books::blush:

This reading session has closed- thanks for joining in! If you have a book review to share, please do so in the open Readerā€™s Review post. Any other non-review posts can be shared in the current Book Club reading session or the Book Club FAQ.