đź“ť Spells8 Book Club XXXVI - Readers' Reviews!

This Readers’ Review has closed- please go to Activities to find and join the current session and current Readers’ Review post. You can also view all book club reviews in the Book Review Collection :books:

Wishing a very warm welcome to all of the Witchy Readers! :open_book:

The latest reading period for Book Club [Feb 23 - Mar 22] has now ended - thank you to everyone who joined in!

Members & Their Books This Reading Period:

• Llewellyn’s Sabbat Essentials: Ostara by Kerri Connor
    @BryWisteria

• Card of the Day Tarot by Kerry Ward @Amethyst

• A Book of Pagan Prayer by Ceisiwr Serith @Mystique

• Witchcraft Unchained by Craig Spencer @MeganB

• Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros @MeganB

• Llewellyn’s Sabbat Essentials: Ostara by Kerri Connor
    @Kyrstyn

• Haitian Vodou by Mari Silva @tracyS

• Baba Yaga’s Book of Witchcraft by Madame Patima @celineelise

• The Magical Books of Solomon by Aleister Crowley, S.L. Macgregor Mathers, & F.C. Conybear @TheMuslimWitch

• Ostara by Llewellyn @niyke

• The Witch at the Forest’s Edge by Christine Grace @niyke

• Ostara: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Spring Equinox by Llewellyn & Kerri Connor @carrie13

• The Temple of Hekate by Tara Sanchez @Litha

• The Kabbalah Alphabet: Neofotistos Basic Guide @AIRAM

• Weave the Liminal: Living Modern Traditional Witchcraft @BlueAngelite

Even if you are not listed above but you read a book during this reading period/ you decided to read a different book than listed- you are very welcome to share and discuss here too!

Time to share your thoughts with your coven! :star_struck:

This discussion post will serve as a place to share your thoughts and opinions on the book you chose.

• :heart_eyes: If you loved your book and think everyone should read it- awesome! Talk about your favorite points or something you learned.
  • :woman_shrugging: If you didn’t connect with the book- consider explaining why it wasn’t for you.
  • :angry: Absolutely hated your book of choice? Warn others to stay away!

This is a great place to share your love for books and find recommendations for new books to read :+1:

Your book review can be as simple or elaborate as you’d like :writing_hand:

If you’re not sure what to talk about, here is a suggested format you can use. Feel free to write as little or as much as you’d like!

Book Title and Author:

Status? : Finished / Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : ???/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:

My personal thoughts/opinions:

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No

Remember that your review is uniquely yours- this is a chance to let your opinions and voice be heard :raised_hands:

Please keep in mind that others may have opinions that differ from yours- when responding to the thoughts of others please always show respect! Remember that 100 people will read 1 book and have 100 different experiences. That’s what makes sharing interesting :heart:

What if I didn’t finish my book / joined late? :raised_hand:

No worries!

You are welcome to share your thoughts about the part you have read so far. If you joined the session late and have just started, feel free to talk about your expectations for your book. You can continue reading it into the next reading period.

And whether you read a book or not - you are very welcome to jump in and discuss what others share about their books! :handshake:

Deadlines and Dates :spiral_calendar:

You have 5 weeks to share your thoughts and discuss (until the next Readers’ Review Post appears in the forum!)

Deadline for Reviews for this Session: Friday, April 26

While you have plenty of time for reviews, know that the next reading period will begin in one week:

The Next Reading Session will Begin: Friday, March 29

On this day a post will appear where you can announce your next book (or continue with your current reading!).

Until then, you can find more info about the club in the Book Club FAQ.

It can be hard to find the time and motivation to read on your own- hopefully book club helped provide a bit of motivation and that it led to some wonderful new knowledge and discoveries in your Craft :books:

Thanks again for joining in and being a part of Book Club! I am so excited to read your thoughts and learn more about the book you spent time with :blush::open_book:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

:books: :heart: :infinite_roots:

8 Likes

it’s finally over!
The Kabbalah Alphabet
essential guide for newly enlightened mage
numerology
word geometries
different mantras
and forms of meditation
I would recommend it to be read by someone starting their magical journey :hekate_wheel: :revolving_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pentagram:

9 Likes

Ok I read the wrong book :person_facepalming:, right topic wrong book. So I read: Voodoo Unlocking the hidden power of Haitian Vodou and New Orleans Voodoo by Mari Silva.

So, how was it. Well I chose lots of these books to learn about The Baron as we’re working together. This book was good in getting a few basics about him, Papa Legba and an overview of The Ghede family. It has some nice rituals, and how to draw the Veve correctly, using the right materials. It’s very welcoming and doesn’t beat you over the head with any politics. It’s just a respectful guide to this way of life.

On the downside, it’s brief. There is alot more to learn, so I’ll have to read another book, but if you want a quick read, and a general guide, this won’t disappoint. One of Mari Silva’s better books. :grin:

8 Likes

Woohooo! Congrats on finishing your book, Airam - it sounds like it was overflowing with interesting information! I’m glad you enjoyed it :heart: :blush:

Sounds like a good book, Tracy! I guess the best way to know that we liked it is if we get to the last page and go “where’s more?” - the best books are never long enough! :laughing: :+1:

I’m glad you enjoyed it and I hope you can find more related books that are just as good! :pray: :heart: :books:

8 Likes

Yay! I finished it! LOL!

Book Title and Author: Card of the Day Tarot by Kerry Ward

Status? : Finished

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

How does this book relate to my magical practice?: I wanted some new ideas one how do read tarot with a one-a-day draw. This was just what I needed!**

My personal thoughts/opinions: With twelve different card of the day tarot rituals, and a look at what each card can mean with them, this is a great book. If you’re wanting to just draw one card at a time and find meaning in it, this is the book for you!**

An interesting quote from the book: This is the advice for the day for the Seven of Cups:

“Have faith in your ideas, fantasies, visions, and ideas today. What resides in your imagination is uniquely your own, and it’s up to you what you do with it. You may think your daydreams are just play of frivolity, but what if they’re actually divine guidance or personalized blueprints showing how your life could (or should) be lived? If you don’t act on what you think or feel, you’ll never know if it could have been amazing. Take your daydreams seriously today.”

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes

9 Likes

Oooo … I finished my book! I’ll be sure to get my review posted!

7 Likes

I finally got this one read and completed! Woo-hoo!

7 Likes

I started Baba Yaga’s Book of Witchcraft by Madame Patima but was not able to complete it by the deadline. I am about half way through. Will finish for next reading period :smiling_imp: the books is great thusbfar and teaches all avout ways to work with Baba yaga through sewing, working with making enchanted food and working with the enchanted beings of the forest and lakes.

7 Likes

Finally! My 1st review! :hugs:

**Book Title and Author: Llewellyn’s Sabbat Essentials, Ostara, Rituals, Recipes, and Lore for the Spring Equinox

My overall rating of the book : 9/10

**How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: As I haven’t made it through the Wheel of the year yet, I wanted to learn about Ostara. Learning the history is important to me to my practice.

**My personal thoughts/opinions: I love the different sections of the book and I think it’s a pretty comprehensive book. There were a few spells and prayers I like. The correspondences helped me decide what to put on my altar!

**An interesting quote from the book: I took a picture bc it’s too much to type. It’s a cute little story.

**All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes!

8 Likes

Cool: I’ve always wanted to read this one. It looks like a fun one. I recently picked up a on sale version of the llewellyn 2024 Sabbats almanac. I’m going to see how that one is…

7 Likes

Okay, I finished my book a day late but I’m including it here anyway :joy: I did finish Fourth Wing and the sequel, Iron Flame. Those are fiction and I listened to the audiobook. I don’t want to give a full review of them but I can say they were really good and I’m looking forward to the third book whenever it’s available!

Book Title and Author: Witchcraft Unchained: Exploring the History & Traditions of British Craft by Craig Spencer

My overall rating of the book: 9/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?: A lot of Western Witchcraft has its roots in British Craft, whether Trad Craft or folk practices. This book gave good insight into different historical practices and concepts that many people don’t delve deeper into, such as the history of the Triple Goddess and Maiden, Mother, Crone archetype beyond Robert Graves.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I did write a longer review on my blog so I’m just going to quote myself… :laughing:

Overall, I am glad I read this book. There are many sections in this book that made me think – even if I disagreed with the author’s framework or theology, the foundational aspects of the subject were enough to give me pause. There are many parts of the book that are great for self-reflection, and this book has helped me cement certain beliefs in my practice, as well.

My Full Review: Book Review: Witchcraft Unchained by Craig Spencer – 'Round the Cauldron

An interesting quote from the book: This quote is in regard to celebrating the sabbats in an eco-friendly way. It was a perspective I hadn’t heard before and it made me reflect on the necessities of my own practice.

As Above, So Below - the two worlds reflect one another. It is only logical to conclude that if we are doing the spiritual work, then the physical work also needs to be taken care of. An easy start can be reducing your carbon footprint. How many candles do you burn at your sabbat rites? How much incense are you using? Do you really need all of this to raise power? If it doesn’t have a practical purpose, then it doesn’t need to be there at all.

A few years ago, I actually stopped lighting or burning anything as part of my Witchcraft. I ultimately didn’t need to, so I saw no reason to carry on. If the only thing that my candles and incense were doing was harming the world, can I truly say that I respect the natural world enough if I treat methods as sacrosanct that do it harm? Though I may have been part of rituals that use some incense or candles sparingly, it has become very rare in my personal practices, as an alternative that produces the same or more power is easily found (dancing, chanting, etc.).

Things to ponder:

• What elements of your rites cause more chaos than harmony?
  • Do they need to be there at all?
  • What could you use in their place?
6 Likes

I bought the whole series. I got a good deal. It is expensive but cheaper than buying them separately. I put post it’s with labels so I can use them next year! :blush:

6 Likes

Book Title and Author: A book of Pagan Prayer by Ceswir Serith

Status? : Still Reading

My overall rating of the book : 7/10

How does this book relate to my magickal practice?:. I was curious as to do we pray and if so how.

My personal thoughts/opinions: I feel this book is more suited for someone following Wicca. It is an interesting read, lots of prayer information, how, where, when, why. Has prayer ideas and proper ways of prayer.

An interesting quote from the book: " "

All in all, would I recommend this book?: Yes / No
I would recommend for someone interested in the ways of prayer and especially for someone practicing Wicca

7 Likes

The 36th session of the Spells8 Book Club and its review period have closed. But no worries! You can visit the Activities Category to find and view the current session of Book Club :open_book: