Stinging Nettle for Hair Care?

@Susurrus the hair rinse is made with rose, calendula, and Jasmine. And steep it as u would a tea.

4 Likes

Ok, I had to watch the video figuring I would poo poo itā€¦ but I have to admit by the end, I was thinking, you knowā€¦ I could make some of this tomorrow and try it! :laughing:

5 Likes

Interesting- I have flax seeds in a sleep pillow somewhere, but Iā€™ve never used them for hair care, thatā€™s creative! :grinning: The leave-in treatment would take some getting used to because Iā€™ve never done it before (Iā€™ve only tried dry shampoo before and it unfortunately didnā€™t seem to work too well for me :sweat_smile:) but it sounds really interesting!

Thank you, Megan- Iā€™m going to look into this! :eyes::sparkles:

This sums it up so well! There really is a huge amount of freedom in making your own beauty products, and itā€™s so secure to know exactly what is in them and where the ingredients came from. Making your own products is very empowering! :muscle:

Thank you so much for the recommendations- Iā€™ve seen Xanthan Gum mentioned in a few recipes, but I didnā€™t know that Grapefruit Seed can help with preservation, thatā€™s awesome to know! Thank you so much, Aurora! :pray: :heart:

Interesting! May I ask if it is it a leave-in product, or more like a secondary shampoo that is used and then washed out? Sounds neat! :grinning:

4 Likes

Itā€™s a leave-in; so you do your thing with your hair then use this as a rinse afterward then dry your hair.

Steep the botanicals for about 10 minutes. In a ritual bath or shower allow the rinse to wash over your hair, calling in the magic of the 3 flowers:

• Calendula - allow its energy to move a stagnant flow
  • Jasmine - to attract love
  • Rose - for self-love
    ā†’ I summarized the blurbs of the flowers :face_with_hand_over_mouth: for the qualities being called on for it.

Iā€™m not sure if there is more to it & as far as a suggested bath/shower or any other information about benefits for your hair. When I receive the box I will see what it says because it says itā€™s a Botanical Rinse Spell for your hair & those usually come with a card of information to go with it. Iā€™d imagine it smells wonderful though! I love the scent of all 3 flowers! :bouquet:

4 Likes

I had the same feeling when I watched it. The consistency is questionable but it looks like it works pretty well! I donā€™t know if I could do it myself but Iā€™d love to see your results if you give it a shot.

Youā€™re welcome! :blush: Iā€™m not sure I could get past the consistency. I donā€™t like putting much of anything in my hair, and this looks like it feels just really gross on your hands lol but maybe itā€™ll help you!

5 Likes

Thank you, Siofra! :heart: Looking at the recipe it sounds really neat- and Iā€™m always a fan of having magick written right into the beauty recipe :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It does look pretty oozy and goozy haha! That being said, Iā€™ve managed to eat some pretty odd things with ratherā€¦ unpleasant textures over the years, so putting it on my hair (as opposed to in my mouth) probably wouldnā€™t bother me all that much lol :joy:

But I guess the only way to find out is to try! I think I know where I can get flax seeds in bulk in the US- Iā€™ll try to remember to order a batch when Iā€™m State-side again. Should be a fun experiment! :laughing: :+1:

Thanks again for sharing the recipe video! :sparkles:

3 Likes

I guess thatā€™s right :laughing: maybe Iā€™ll give it a shot one day. Iā€™ve never used flaxseed ā€“ I have chia seeds but not flax :joy:

3 Likes

@BryWisteria this was a fun read! I have thought about making a natural shampoo using castile soap, coconut milk (?) and oils. I use stinging nettle internally as a kidney tonic support - Iā€™ve never had the tea, but if it smells anything like the tincture, I donā€™t think I could drink it.

While I was looking for recipes, the majority of them called for something I couldnā€™t even pronounce, then there was Xantham gum, and a few mentioned glycerine, arrowroot or cornstarch. I like arrowroot in a dry shampoo mix for freshening to skip a hair wash. Curious to see what you end up with.

As for the Castile soap - in my complete inexperience, I used it on my hair straight a number of years agoā€¦of course the result was hideous! :laughing: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

As crazy as it sounds, Iā€™ve found bags of flaxseed at Walmart. I think it varies by city and even by neighborhood, but they carry it in their store brand - Great Value.

I bought mine for a middle eastern flatbread recipe a couple months ago.

4 Likes

So many seeds out there! Iā€™ve been seeing more and more chia foods in the store- chia seems to be getting popular (or itā€™s always been popular and I just never noticed :laughing: )

Back in the day, the only chia I remembering seeing was those cute little chia pets with the grass hair :potted_plant: :joy:

The tea isnā€™t that bad taste-wise, or at least it shouldnā€™t be anywhere near as bad as the tincture- tinctures often have alcohol (or another strong base) and can thus pack quite a punch to your taste buds :sweat_smile:

Honestly, compared to some of the other herbal teas blend on my shelf, the nettle is one of the more pleasant-tasting ones! Itā€™s got a light, earthy flavor- kind of like green tea in some ways? If youā€™re curious, I recommend giving it a try!

(Itā€™s also tasty sauteed in butter :fried_egg: :herb: :yum:)

Choices, choices- these all seem like good options for consistency! Thanks, Lisa! :pray: :heart:

Oh! :grinning: I was planning on trying to order it from an herbal food wholesaler on the Cape, but Walmart is closer (and cheaper!)- Iā€™ll have to check it out when Iā€™m in the US! No Walmart here in the EU, Iā€™m afraid. Itā€™s like an urban American legend here- people have been surprised when I told them that Walmart was a real place (and that itā€™s just as wild as the stories make it out to be) :laughing:

Thank you for the tip, @Artemisia! :raised_hands: :sparkles:

3 Likes

haha me too! :rofl: I think Iā€™ll try flax seeds when I run out of chia seeds. I add them to my smoothies to get my omega-3s since I donā€™t eat fish or take a fish oil supplement. Plus, when they sit long enough, they give the smoothie a thicker consistency! One day Iā€™m gonna try chia puddingā€¦but the texture looks like tapioca and I donā€™t think I could do that :joy:

3 Likes

@MeganB Chia seeds sound like a super power! :muscle: :grinning: Hahaha Iā€™ve seen chia pudding in stores and it reminds me too much of frog eggs- itā€™s one of the few texture things that freaks me out too much to try and eat it :frog::joy:

3 Likes

@BryWisteria Oh gosh :laughing: I donā€™t blame you with that! May we never have to eat something like that ā€“ yuck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Hahahaha so mote it be! :laughing: :pray:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.