Studying Judaism

Hello and welcome to this post,

I was debating for quite awhile whether to reveal this or not, until finally deciding to just do it, for nearly 2 weeks or about a month now (I forgot when exactly did I first read it), I had stumbled upon a nonprofit website which shares Jewish texts translated into English and did change me to the point I swore to never use magick ever again, It means whether I do light or grey or dark spells I cannot cast any spells ever again,

@praecog29 , This website has the entire Tanakh in it and even the Talmud, Although I do warn now, that if anyone reads the Hebrew Scriptures and decides to live upon it, there is definitely no turning back to oneā€™s current or former ways, one can only go straight, that is why, I wonā€™t give out the name of the website I stumbled upon, for it will make anybody not in either of three major world religions question their own beliefs or have the Hebrew God prove Himself to the reader (thatā€™s what happened to me and I do not want to argue or doubt against the God of Moses ever again, a one time chastisement about doubt is enough for me), plus itā€™s not the nature of the Jews to proselytize anyone to their side,

The next phrases Iā€™ll give out are mostly for studies purposes to everyone else, Iā€™m not a Rabbi however so I cannot teach all of this:

For those who do not know what the Tanakh is, in a simple phrase, it has the section called the Torah, where the five books handwritten by Moses are there, it includes Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy (I know itā€™s significantly shorter), the Hebrew Scriptures there are used as the sole authority of Adonaiā€™s (their entity who has a lot of creative names and the Name, Hashem, which He isnā€™t supposed to be called upon when reading the Torah, but can be called as Hashem when one isnā€™t reading the Torah) words, mitzvah (commandments such as what is kosher and non kosher food and drinks) by the Jews observant to the Torah, The Prophets, Writings, Targum., etc, theyā€™re also in the Tanakh section,

The Talmud meanwhile is more of an interactive book (itā€™s not exactly easy to explain the Talmud for itā€™s very complex, however the best way to learn it, is to dive straight into the Talmud), just a warning though there are potential Hebrew words there which do not have another translation in English, so anyone not having any background in Hebrew language, culture and traditions may feel lost at first glance,

If one lets the Torah and the Talmud guide his/her life along with the other texts there, this person can really change, I actually trust the transliterated Hebrew versions done by itā€™s native speakers more than any other versions (so that may be bias talking), one of the best observations and teachings of Judaism however is this;

"The most important teaching and tenet of Judaism is that there is **one God, incorporeal and eternal, who wants all people to do what is just and merciful** . All people are created in the image of God and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect." - https://embassies.gov.il/hague-en/aboutisrael/people/Pages/Jewish-Religion.aspx

Peace,
Margaret

Note: Kosher means whatā€™s appropriate in food and drinks and thereā€™s a dietary law given in the Torah about it, itā€™s similar to Halal to the Islam belief, and if one observes the lines in Genesis there, one will figure out that the Islam and Judaism are actually spiritual half siblings, thus explains why the media tends to portray both sides to be in a constant fight about whoā€™s the legitimate heir to Abraham and Adonaiā€™s covenant, Iā€™ll also direct message the link to anyone who might ask me privately what the website is, to anyone who may still want to read the Torah, despite my prior warnings or discouragement to do so

8 Likes

@anne2 I do believe that none of us will speak or think differently from you because of the decision you took. Is your truth to seek, and no one canā€™t question that. Besides is good, I do have a ebook copy of Torah with me, in which I sometimes read for things of my interest to understand. :blush:

8 Likes

Greetings @anne2,

Thank you for sharing the resources about Judaism! I second what @pedros10 said- folks here are brought together by magick, but we come from all different backgrounds and all have our own wonderful unique approaches to our spirituality. As a cultural scholar myself, Iā€™m always interested in hearing about different beliefs, even if they donā€™t always resonate with my own personal practice :blush::books:

Wishing you all the best as you move forward- may you always find light, comfort, and love on whatever path you choose! :sparkles:

7 Likes

Thatā€™s great @pedros10 , I found both The Torah and Talmud to be interesting to read despite how challenging both sections are there and I finally figured out what to do to anybody that had mistreated me thanks to both of those books along with the other texts, even if itā€™s a difficult pill to do so, Also thank you very much

7 Likes

One of the non profit websites where Iā€™d been reading about Judaism is a website called sefaria.org , really, itā€™s like a library there @BryWisteria , so that may end up answering any questions you may have but give you a new set of questions to new answers in past times to current questions with either past or present or yet to be made solutions to any questions or problems, Itā€™s really complicatedā€¦Iā€™m not officially under any synanogue nor do I have a rabbi or a community, even though I do want to formally leave the Catholic church already, not that I deny about Yeshua, rather, itā€™s due to whatā€™s written in the Books of Deuteronomy and Isaiah (Iā€™m so screwed with all my relatives if they find out, Iā€™ll leave Catechism the first chance I get, theyā€™re all Catholics soā€¦yeah, but then again the Jews have always faced adversity but still survive thanks to their God)

Note:

Uhā€¦fair warning to any other curious readers, the Book of Deuteronomy and Isaiah will actually change anyone reading it if they read it, in the website I gave out, although chapter 53 of Isaiah is forbidden to read in a synanogue, Why? It describes what would happen to the Messiah and can actually make anyone be left in tears, in case chapter 53 of Isaiah is not there, thereā€™s always the version from Christianity which reveals what occurs to Yeshua or Christ, albeit ancient politics may have tweaked some of the facts there

Peace,
Margaret

7 Likes

I also consider myself somewhat of a cultural scholar. Iā€™ve been studying the religions and cultures of others since I was a teenager, and ethnography was part of my psychology masters (essentially cultural anthropology).

I may check out the resources as Iā€™m always fascinated to learn something new about other cultures and religions with no desire to practice them myself.

Thank you for posting the details.

8 Likes

I wish you all the best on your journey. I will add, that Jewish mysticism led to a lot of the beliefs Western culture now embraces. Also, like the other major world religions, there are many sects within Judaism leading to many interpretations and ways to live. Ironically, learning about that actually helped me walk away from my Christian faith and to embrace Wicca.

I love the Tanakh, own one, and have used the site you are referring to, among others. Any faith new to us is like a new love - it fills us and consumes us. Enjoy this period in your life.

6 Likes

Youā€™re welcome @IrisW , Have fun researching in those linksā€¦itā€™s a very long read

7 Likes

Yep it does, even the concept of reincarnation is there in the mysticism part of Judaism, as part of tikkun (oneness), some say Moses is one of the reincarnated sons of Adam, Iā€™m not sure if he was Cain or Abel, this is in part to mend the strained relationship between him and his brother in their previous lifeā€¦thereā€™s also the concept of tikkun olam, free will, etc,

Iā€™m halfway through Genesis there already, I sometimes change from one book section to another section so that I wouldnā€™t lose interest, currently in Jobā€™s book Iā€™m around chapter 29 -30, This faith actually answers a lot of the questions I had which were left unanswered and gives out how to practically apply the teachings there,Thanks I only wish I bumped into those sort of websites a lot sooner

7 Likes

Too much for me, makes my head spin. I donā€™t care what anyone believes, just believe in something.

5 Likes

Itā€™s okay @Garnet , anybody would be really confused the first time when entering websites like those, There are times when a new reader/s even somehow lands up in a topic that needs a prerequisite study and research from those with background study in it already prior to reading said topic, Also thank you

4 Likes

If youā€™re interested in more background and foundational studies, @anne2, there are some listed in my book and YouTube channel recommendations. Mark S Smith is a wonderful start. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for the link with the background and foundational studies, @praecog29 , Iā€™ll check them out tonight

4 Likes

Of the big 3, (Catholicism, Muslim & Judaism) Itā€™s hard to choose which has more dogma. I like Paganism, itā€™s KISS.(Thatā€™s keep it simpleā€¦umā€¦sweetie, tender ears, you know?)

6 Likes

I canā€™t speak for the side of the Muslims or Islam cause Iā€™ve never experienced their side (except for the fact that almost all the time I donā€™t drink alcohol, if I ever drink though itā€™s rare and out of my character to do so, unless it is Iā€™m curious about what this or that may taste like, in that case Iā€™d try it out) Catholicism and Judaism however can be two faiths with one entity but diverging in how their faiths are practiced in every sector

This might offend every other Pagans or Christians or Wiccans and I apologize in advance about the words Iā€™ll give out, (if anyone felt offended, just know that itā€™s not my main intention to offend anyone, Iā€™m merely giving out information and observation) that is however what another faith perceives another to be, this is how some Christians in different denominations see Catholicism to be, is that; ā€œthe Catholics are not genuine Christiansā€ this is due to the Catholics adopting the Pagan concept of saints and angels as statues, when the Book of Deuteronomy clearly implied to never bow down to any statues that created by man to look like a creature of either those in heaven, or on earth, or underwater or beneath the Earth, thus there are those who speculate that the Catholic Church are actually Antichrist (yep, itā€™s really, really complicated when Christianity with Catholicism or Catechism and Paganism are intertwined)

The Jews meanwhile have 613 commandments to uphold (if one thought the 10 commandments is a lot, well, the list of commandments for Judaism is a lot longer than the ones found in Christianity or Catholicism), however the mitzvah or commandment to ā€œLove oneā€™s neighbor as thyselfā€ is one of the greatest commandment to uphold thereā€¦which potentially leads to ā€œtikkun olamā€, a Jewish concept of ā€œmending the worldā€

2 Likes

I follow the big"10" minus 2.
ā€œHonor your father and mother?ā€ If they deserve it. If theyā€™re monsters, walk away! Follow your heart. That never goes wrong, unless itā€™s in romance.
My Grandmother used to say: "The eyes do not see where the heart may lead, even if itā€™s to a pile of poop (She used another 4 letter word)

No Gods before me?..propaganda. You follow your heart.

2 Likes

This is not written as a form of converting anyone, this is written to help out anyone who is confused and may have anger in their hearts for what was done upon them and how to let go of it and the art of forgiveness, Itā€™s a long read but for anyone who may want to try it outā€¦thereā€™s actually something thatā€™s freeing about doing such an act:

On the subject of repentance and making amends and asking for forgiveness especially when it comes to friends or in a familial setting, Mishneh Torah, Repentance 2: 9-11 gives out a practical application of it:

(9) Teshuvah and Yom Kippur only atone for transgression between man and God, such as one who eats a forbidden food or has a forbidden sexual relationship, etc. But transgression between man and his fellow, such as hurting his fellow or cursing his fellow or stealing from him, etc, those are never forgiven until he gives his fellow what he owes him and [his fellow] is appeased. Even if he returned the money he owed his [fellow] , he must appease him and ask him to forgive him. Even if he only pertubed his fellow verbally, he must make amends and meet with him until he forgives him, If his fellow does not wish to forgive him, he should bring a line of three people who are friends with him and they will approach him and ask for forgiveness from him. If he does not give in, he must bring people a second and third time, If he still does not give in, they should leave him alone and that person who did not forgive-he is the sinner. But if it was his teacher, he must come and go even a thousand times until he forgives him
(10)It is forbidden for a person to be cruel and not make amends; instead a person should get appeased easily and get angry slowly. And at the moment when the sinner asks for forgiveness-forgive with a whole heart and desirous soul. And even if he pained him and sinned against him many times, he should not take revenge or hold a grudge - that is the way the Children of Israel and their correct hearts. But the nations of uncircumcised heart are not so, but are rather (Amos 1:11) ā€œand he kept his wrath for everā€. And similarly it is said about the Gibonites who did not forgive Israel (II Samuel 21:2) ā€œthe Gibonites are not the children of Israelā€ (because they do not forgive, a sign of cruelty)
(11) Someone who sins against his fellow and the fellow dies before he can ask him for forgiveness, he should bring ten people and stand them by his grave and say in front of them "I have sinned against the Lord, God of Israel and against this certain person because I did such - and - such to him. And if he owed him money, he should give it to his heirs. If he does not know who the heirs are he should give it to the court and confess,

Now on the subject of morality about a human being who torments another human being via, abuse, kidnapping, murder and any other mistake leaving serious harm upon the victim are to be corrected, for through the story of Genesis between Abel and Cain it is taught that: ā€œWhoever destroys one life is as if he destroyed a whole world, and whoever preserves a life is as if he preserved the whole world.ā€ (Sanhedrin 4;5) In a similar manner, Adonai would never want for anyone to sacrifice or hurt children (the entire Abraham sacrificing Isaac as an offering is likely something Adonai never intended to actually happen in the physical world in the first place, therefore Adonai likely intended to give both Abraham and Isaac the animal to be used for such a ritual as an offering in the first place) and even went as far as to add it in the 613 commandmentsā€¦

Therefore even the person one may loathe the most for any injustice done to them by a tormentor, oppressor or abuser, ends up a whole lot more important than those the victim has ever loved whether that be another living being or companion pet/sā€¦there in Genesis it can be seen that if one treats another well morally speaking inside and outside oneā€™s own household/s, then everything ends up well and no one would be harmed, however if one doesnā€™t treat his friend or family well, then disaster occurs (some say it is because Abraham had lied to the Pharaoh about Sarah not being his wife, which led the Pharaoh to believe he could court Sarah and make her his wife until the truth finally came out, is the reason and side effect of why the Israelites ended up enslaved by the Egyptians until the God of Moses sent Moses to free the Israelites from the Egyptians)

Note: To clear up some terms this are what it means and an explanation is given about it:

Teshuvah means ā€œreturningā€
Chet is ā€œto go astrayā€
Yom Kippur means ā€œDay of Atonementā€

The idea of repentance in Judaism is a ā€œreturn to the path of righteousnessā€, Teshuvah can be done at any time, but the High Holiday season and Yom Kippur is considered and auspicious time for it, the process of repentance as laid out by Maimonides includes three stages: 1. Confession, 2. Regret, 3. A vow to not to repeat the misdeed, the true penitent, as Maimonides says, ā€œis the one who finds himself with the opportunity to commit the same sin again yet declines to do soā€

And I just found out due to the link from BBC that, one of my grandmothers who passed away about a week ago would not have lived or been born had it been decided my great grandmother cannot handle the pregnancy in itā€™s earliest stages, itā€™s very complicated when itā€™s about life or death in Judaism (which ultimately killed off my great grandmother, who died at New Yearā€™s Eve to give birth to my other grandmother, this is exactly why doctors, nurses and midwives are needed even on holidays to be on duty, for those in need donā€™t have specific dates at all when they need someone to help them out) and as always most of the references I have are from:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/ , The 613 Mitzvot - JMU
BBC - Religions - Judaism: Abortion

Peace,
Margaret

1 Like

All due to respect to those of this faith, but Iā€™d consider it harassment if someone continually begged me for forgiveness and got other people to do so on their behalf. And then Iā€™m the sinner if I donā€™t forgive them? Sorry, but noā€¦ I think Iā€™d better back out of this thread now.

5 Likes

Itā€™s okay @IrisW , it may be considered harassment to anyone if done out of context, however wouldnā€™t such consequences which involves oneā€™s friends taking responsibility and accountability for his/her friendā€™s (and vice versa) actions then discourage the one whoā€™s asking for forgiveness to never ever commit the same mistake, A friend in Jewish thought is someone a valuable, for any learner learns a whole lot more from a friend than rabbis (teachers);

The benefits of friendship are appreciated by Jewish tradition. Ecclesiastes wrote, ā€œTwo are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him that is alone when he falls, for he has not another to help him upā€ (4:9-10).

Jonathan said to David, ā€œGo in peace! For we two have sworn to each other in the name of the LORD: ā€˜May the LORD be [witness] between you and me, and between your offspring and mine, forever!ā€™ā€ (I Samuel 20:42) - One of the most famous friendships of the Bible was sealed by a vow promising eternal amity between their children

From there it could be summarized that having a friend exceeds social connections in Jewish context, for they offer one another, help, loyalty, protection, unselfish love and moral guidance, a primary relationship in life, and at times exceeding what bonds blood relatives, in this way if itā€™s a fault against man the transgressor would surely end up regretting and vowing to never ever commit the same mistake ever again, for this person would see even those who cares about him would ask for forgiveness in his behalf

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll address this anymore, itā€™s getting a little too preachy. But many thanks for the effort you put into it.
Blessed be.

2 Likes