Studying Judaism

I wish you all the best on your journey. I will add, that Jewish mysticism led to a lot of the beliefs Western culture now embraces. Also, like the other major world religions, there are many sects within Judaism leading to many interpretations and ways to live. Ironically, learning about that actually helped me walk away from my Christian faith and to embrace Wicca.

I love the Tanakh, own one, and have used the site you are referring to, among others. Any faith new to us is like a new love - it fills us and consumes us. Enjoy this period in your life.

6 Likes

You’re welcome @IrisW , Have fun researching in those links…it’s a very long read

7 Likes

Yep it does, even the concept of reincarnation is there in the mysticism part of Judaism, as part of tikkun (oneness), some say Moses is one of the reincarnated sons of Adam, I’m not sure if he was Cain or Abel, this is in part to mend the strained relationship between him and his brother in their previous life…there’s also the concept of tikkun olam, free will, etc,

I’m halfway through Genesis there already, I sometimes change from one book section to another section so that I wouldn’t lose interest, currently in Job’s book I’m around chapter 29 -30, This faith actually answers a lot of the questions I had which were left unanswered and gives out how to practically apply the teachings there,Thanks I only wish I bumped into those sort of websites a lot sooner

7 Likes

Too much for me, makes my head spin. I don’t care what anyone believes, just believe in something.

5 Likes

It’s okay @Garnet , anybody would be really confused the first time when entering websites like those, There are times when a new reader/s even somehow lands up in a topic that needs a prerequisite study and research from those with background study in it already prior to reading said topic, Also thank you

4 Likes

If you’re interested in more background and foundational studies, @anne2, there are some listed in my book and YouTube channel recommendations. Mark S Smith is a wonderful start. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thank you for the link with the background and foundational studies, @praecog29 , I’ll check them out tonight

4 Likes

Of the big 3, (Catholicism, Muslim & Judaism) It’s hard to choose which has more dogma. I like Paganism, it’s KISS.(That’s keep it simple…um…sweetie, tender ears, you know?)

6 Likes

I can’t speak for the side of the Muslims or Islam cause I’ve never experienced their side (except for the fact that almost all the time I don’t drink alcohol, if I ever drink though it’s rare and out of my character to do so, unless it is I’m curious about what this or that may taste like, in that case I’d try it out) Catholicism and Judaism however can be two faiths with one entity but diverging in how their faiths are practiced in every sector

This might offend every other Pagans or Christians or Wiccans and I apologize in advance about the words I’ll give out, (if anyone felt offended, just know that it’s not my main intention to offend anyone, I’m merely giving out information and observation) that is however what another faith perceives another to be, this is how some Christians in different denominations see Catholicism to be, is that; “the Catholics are not genuine Christians” this is due to the Catholics adopting the Pagan concept of saints and angels as statues, when the Book of Deuteronomy clearly implied to never bow down to any statues that created by man to look like a creature of either those in heaven, or on earth, or underwater or beneath the Earth, thus there are those who speculate that the Catholic Church are actually Antichrist (yep, it’s really, really complicated when Christianity with Catholicism or Catechism and Paganism are intertwined)

The Jews meanwhile have 613 commandments to uphold (if one thought the 10 commandments is a lot, well, the list of commandments for Judaism is a lot longer than the ones found in Christianity or Catholicism), however the mitzvah or commandment to “Love one’s neighbor as thyself” is one of the greatest commandment to uphold there…which potentially leads to “tikkun olam”, a Jewish concept of “mending the world”

2 Likes

I follow the big"10" minus 2.
“Honor your father and mother?” If they deserve it. If they’re monsters, walk away! Follow your heart. That never goes wrong, unless it’s in romance.
My Grandmother used to say: "The eyes do not see where the heart may lead, even if it’s to a pile of poop (She used another 4 letter word)

No Gods before me?..propaganda. You follow your heart.

2 Likes

This is not written as a form of converting anyone, this is written to help out anyone who is confused and may have anger in their hearts for what was done upon them and how to let go of it and the art of forgiveness, It’s a long read but for anyone who may want to try it out…there’s actually something that’s freeing about doing such an act:

On the subject of repentance and making amends and asking for forgiveness especially when it comes to friends or in a familial setting, Mishneh Torah, Repentance 2: 9-11 gives out a practical application of it:

(9) Teshuvah and Yom Kippur only atone for transgression between man and God, such as one who eats a forbidden food or has a forbidden sexual relationship, etc. But transgression between man and his fellow, such as hurting his fellow or cursing his fellow or stealing from him, etc, those are never forgiven until he gives his fellow what he owes him and [his fellow] is appeased. Even if he returned the money he owed his [fellow] , he must appease him and ask him to forgive him. Even if he only pertubed his fellow verbally, he must make amends and meet with him until he forgives him, If his fellow does not wish to forgive him, he should bring a line of three people who are friends with him and they will approach him and ask for forgiveness from him. If he does not give in, he must bring people a second and third time, If he still does not give in, they should leave him alone and that person who did not forgive-he is the sinner. But if it was his teacher, he must come and go even a thousand times until he forgives him
(10)It is forbidden for a person to be cruel and not make amends; instead a person should get appeased easily and get angry slowly. And at the moment when the sinner asks for forgiveness-forgive with a whole heart and desirous soul. And even if he pained him and sinned against him many times, he should not take revenge or hold a grudge - that is the way the Children of Israel and their correct hearts. But the nations of uncircumcised heart are not so, but are rather (Amos 1:11) “and he kept his wrath for ever”. And similarly it is said about the Gibonites who did not forgive Israel (II Samuel 21:2) “the Gibonites are not the children of Israel” (because they do not forgive, a sign of cruelty)
(11) Someone who sins against his fellow and the fellow dies before he can ask him for forgiveness, he should bring ten people and stand them by his grave and say in front of them "I have sinned against the Lord, God of Israel and against this certain person because I did such - and - such to him. And if he owed him money, he should give it to his heirs. If he does not know who the heirs are he should give it to the court and confess,

Now on the subject of morality about a human being who torments another human being via, abuse, kidnapping, murder and any other mistake leaving serious harm upon the victim are to be corrected, for through the story of Genesis between Abel and Cain it is taught that: “Whoever destroys one life is as if he destroyed a whole world, and whoever preserves a life is as if he preserved the whole world.” (Sanhedrin 4;5) In a similar manner, Adonai would never want for anyone to sacrifice or hurt children (the entire Abraham sacrificing Isaac as an offering is likely something Adonai never intended to actually happen in the physical world in the first place, therefore Adonai likely intended to give both Abraham and Isaac the animal to be used for such a ritual as an offering in the first place) and even went as far as to add it in the 613 commandments…

Therefore even the person one may loathe the most for any injustice done to them by a tormentor, oppressor or abuser, ends up a whole lot more important than those the victim has ever loved whether that be another living being or companion pet/s…there in Genesis it can be seen that if one treats another well morally speaking inside and outside one’s own household/s, then everything ends up well and no one would be harmed, however if one doesn’t treat his friend or family well, then disaster occurs (some say it is because Abraham had lied to the Pharaoh about Sarah not being his wife, which led the Pharaoh to believe he could court Sarah and make her his wife until the truth finally came out, is the reason and side effect of why the Israelites ended up enslaved by the Egyptians until the God of Moses sent Moses to free the Israelites from the Egyptians)

Note: To clear up some terms this are what it means and an explanation is given about it:

Teshuvah means “returning”
Chet is “to go astray”
Yom Kippur means “Day of Atonement”

The idea of repentance in Judaism is a “return to the path of righteousness”, Teshuvah can be done at any time, but the High Holiday season and Yom Kippur is considered and auspicious time for it, the process of repentance as laid out by Maimonides includes three stages: 1. Confession, 2. Regret, 3. A vow to not to repeat the misdeed, the true penitent, as Maimonides says, “is the one who finds himself with the opportunity to commit the same sin again yet declines to do so”

And I just found out due to the link from BBC that, one of my grandmothers who passed away about a week ago would not have lived or been born had it been decided my great grandmother cannot handle the pregnancy in it’s earliest stages, it’s very complicated when it’s about life or death in Judaism (which ultimately killed off my great grandmother, who died at New Year’s Eve to give birth to my other grandmother, this is exactly why doctors, nurses and midwives are needed even on holidays to be on duty, for those in need don’t have specific dates at all when they need someone to help them out) and as always most of the references I have are from:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/ , The 613 Mitzvot - JMU
BBC - Religions - Judaism: Abortion

Peace,
Margaret

1 Like

All due to respect to those of this faith, but I’d consider it harassment if someone continually begged me for forgiveness and got other people to do so on their behalf. And then I’m the sinner if I don’t forgive them? Sorry, but no… I think I’d better back out of this thread now.

5 Likes

It’s okay @IrisW , it may be considered harassment to anyone if done out of context, however wouldn’t such consequences which involves one’s friends taking responsibility and accountability for his/her friend’s (and vice versa) actions then discourage the one who’s asking for forgiveness to never ever commit the same mistake, A friend in Jewish thought is someone a valuable, for any learner learns a whole lot more from a friend than rabbis (teachers);

The benefits of friendship are appreciated by Jewish tradition. Ecclesiastes wrote, “Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow; but woe to him that is alone when he falls, for he has not another to help him up” (4:9-10).

Jonathan said to David, “Go in peace! For we two have sworn to each other in the name of the LORD: ‘May the LORD be [witness] between you and me, and between your offspring and mine, forever!’” (I Samuel 20:42) - One of the most famous friendships of the Bible was sealed by a vow promising eternal amity between their children

From there it could be summarized that having a friend exceeds social connections in Jewish context, for they offer one another, help, loyalty, protection, unselfish love and moral guidance, a primary relationship in life, and at times exceeding what bonds blood relatives, in this way if it’s a fault against man the transgressor would surely end up regretting and vowing to never ever commit the same mistake ever again, for this person would see even those who cares about him would ask for forgiveness in his behalf

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll address this anymore, it’s getting a little too preachy. But many thanks for the effort you put into it.
Blessed be.

2 Likes

Ok, I’m just giving out clarification for what’s it’s like, how it can be applied and how customs in social contexts there work, one needs to know what such faiths has to offer first before entering such places, not everyone can perform all of the laws and practices there @Garnet

2 Likes

I’m pausing this for a moderator review and letting them decide how to proceed. Thank you for lively, and mostly respectful, engagement of the topic.

3 Likes

Hello, I just found out about this website, here it explains why Jews don’t consume pork or crab, actually the whole kosher food laws about what’s prohibited and not prohibited are written in the Tanakh too, the link to the website is below this post, it might help out anyone confused about the kosher food laws

There are some loophole/s, if the answers in Quora are even acceptable to whichever denomination one is part of, I read somewhere there at Quora that an interfaith couple between a Jew and Christian, the Jew could eat pork, long as the Jew is eating said pork with the Christian in a meal, otherwise when apart, the kosher food laws still apply to the Jewish partner;

Links:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1452611/jewish/Why-Do-Jews-Not-Eat-Pork-or-Crab.htm

Note; Outside of any religious beliefs, foundation and practices, one of my parents, has an allergy to crab, that would explain why I never really ate an actual crab yet in a newly caught raw and fresh from any of the beaches in the Philippines, there are crabstick in the house but who knows if it has actual crab or not, it doesn’t have any labels

Peace,
Margaret

4 Likes

This man is a walking vault of wisdom.
I watched the whole clip, yikes!
Please do not doze off!:joy:.
Too long to resume it in a few lines.
There are different aspects I do not like: politics, fanatism, ancient beliefs and the brain washing “NOOM”!
Is it a small price to pay for absorbing so much knowledge?
I loved all that information. Some people would say I’d love to live in this or that age.
This clip proves me why I love to live in actual time.
Have to make dinner, will comeback, don’t go away. I’d love to pick your brains on the subject, it’s so fascinating!

3 Likes