Tarot readings

If you have a set of tarot cards that have the upright and reversal meanings on the card how do you know which is the correct way to turn the card…horizontally or vertically?

7 Likes

Tarot cards are usually vertical. Did the deck come with a guide, yours sound different than a traditional deck and may work differently?

6 Likes

Greetings @NubianQueen!

Maybe I’m not understanding this well (apologies if so!) but I’ve never heard of tarot cards being read horizontally (on their side)- they are almost always placed vertically (and are either right side up or upside down). Perhaps this is something unique to your deck?

Are you perhaps talking about the Deck of Oppositions? It is the only deck I know that has both the “upright” and “reversed” versions of the card pictured.

Picture from Tarot Deck Review~ Tarot of Oppositions

If this (or a very similar deck) is what you’re working with, it is indeed a very unique deck and has unique ways to read it! I usually shuffle well and then read the picture that appears on top, although sometimes I read the “middle version” (the point between upright and reserved). Any way is fine, but it is important to specify your reading style before drawing and revealing the cards.

Like Amethyst said, the guidebook is really helpful in walking you through the methods and providing examples :grinning:

Blessed be and happy readings! :sparkles:

8 Likes

I think you are asking which direction to turn the card when you are pulling it; is that correct (see the diagram below)? I don’t think there is a right/wrong way as long as you are consistent. I generally flip them horizontally but do have a single deck I flip vertically - it is just what feels right to me when I’m handling them.

6 Likes

When I get home from work I will send a photo of the cards I have that way you’ll see. I’ve read on several other websites and on YouTube and they all say you should turn the cards horizontally but no worries I’ll send a photo in about 2hrs.

5 Likes

Here are the cards I bought. They call them Starter Tarot Deck

5 Likes

@NubianQueen when the picture facing u is upside down, thats reversed

5 Likes

Ok again my question is do I flip the cards from left to right (horizontally) or do I turn the cards vertically?

5 Likes

@NubianQueen my mistake i misunderstood your question. Horizontally (right to left). Like of u are reading a book.

5 Likes

Apologies, @NubianQueen, it looks like I also misunderstood your question! When it comes to the direction of flipping the card, I agree with what Amaris said:

I just picked up a card to see which way I flip it- I place cards down first, then take the left side of the card and pull it towards the right to flip it. Not sure why, just feels natural to me (perhaps because I am right-handed?)

I say do whatever feels natural to you- which might mean trying not to think about it when you flip the cards :flower_playing_cards:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

5 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs oh thank you so much

5 Likes

@BryWisteria, @Amaris_Bane thank you my Sisters for helping me figure this out!

6 Likes

I’m happy if I could help, @NubianQueen! Much love and many blessed readings to you- enjoy your tarot work! :heart::blush:

6 Likes

@NubianQueen u are most welcome sister. Many blessings to u

6 Likes