The 3 Types of Witches (No-Nonsense) 🧙‍♀️

Many beginner witches seem confused about this topic, asking “What type of witch am I?”, then receiving many different responses as we’ve covered in the forum before. For example: Nine types of witches and even 100 types of witches. :crystal_ball:

But these “Types of witches” articles are always arbitrary and in many cases straight-up nonsense. So I decided to go to the sources — in this case the academically reviewed study Drawing Down the Moon. To learn more about it, find my summary of the book here.

How many types of Witches are there? :woman_mage: :mage:

In this 6-minute-long video, I describe the main 3 types of witches you should know about:

The 3 No-Nonsense Types of Witches

1. Classical Witch

Also known as “Cunning folk”, these are the witches commonly referred today as “Green Witch” or “Kitchen Witch”. They practice Low Magic (or folk Magic), i.e. spellwork related to agriculture and the land. :ear_of_rice:

Their beliefs and superstitions come from farming the fields and being around nature. They draw power from Nature and use anything found within the environment, without complex rituals or sacred texts.

Types of Witches Eclectic

Classical Witches can be considered indigenous shamans from Europe, healers and early forms of medicine men and women. They used their Magic chants and potions for healing, for protection, and all purposes, sometimes good and sometimes bad.

2. Gothic Witch ⸸

Also known as “diabolic witches”, this is the stereotypical witch that we see in movies and TV. :woman_mage:

Isaac Bonewits describes Gothic Witchcraft as a fiction invented by the Church, a reversed version of Roman Catholicism, including pacts with the devil, the devouring of babies, and other pieces of propaganda used during the Inquisition.

3 Types of Witches

The belief in this type of “satanic witchcraft” ⛧ was made easier to spread by the early printing press and the first books, such as the Malleus Maleficarum (Hammer of the Witches) written on the topic of evil witchcraft. But also the plagues and the need to find a scapegoat for all the wars and misery in Europe around this time contributed to this stereotype.

3. Neopagan Witch ⛥

A hybrid of the Classical witch with some Folklore and modern mythology. These are the most eclectic witches as they combine elements from different witchcraft traditions.

The myth claims that there was an Old Religion, an underground society of indigenous European shamans and witches, and these ancient pagans survived Christianization by secretly keeping their religion intact. This has been refuted by historians and became part of the mythology of Neopaganism.

Types of Witches Neopagan

Neopagans are politheistic, they mix high magic and low magic. A Neopagan Witch believes in diversity, tolerance, and worships the Earth and Nature :earth_asia: through honoring the cycles of the Sun and the Moon above all.

Examples of Neopagan Witches:

• Goddess movement
  • Heathenry
  • Druidry
  • New Age Syncretism and Eco-Paganism
  • LGBTQ+ Paganism
  • Wicca
  • Wiccan branches (Dianic, Stregheria, Faery, etc)

Learn more about Neopaganism in my post: The Difference between Wiccan and Neopagan Witches

๑┄┄┄┄┄┄┄๑ೃೀ๑┄┄┄┄┄┄┄๑ೃ

Summary: 3 Types of Witches in History

I hope this makes sense and clarifies the whole “What type of Witch am I?” topic!

However, I don’t feel that these labels are really important. What do you think?

31 Likes

Have you heard in Italian Folk Magic the 3: Solar, Lunar, and Stellar? @Francisco
I’ve been curious to dive more into them but Italians who practice their way are very hush hush about what they do. Most of everything is passed down the family line.

5 Likes

As for the labels, I personally feel that however you represent yourself especially with titles is what you embody.

You want to say your (insert negative narrative), then watch yourself transform into a person who represents that.
Same goes for the positive.
Now I don’t think that specifically applies to “witch types” but the more you believe something, the truer it becomes in your reality. Does that make sense? Lol @Francisco

7 Likes

My family practiced Italian magic. They all passed but I have their grimoires. It’s so magical! ( No pun intended) :sweat_smile: when I feel I’m ready, I’d love to share it.

9 Likes

Wow! @christina4 What an honor to have family knowledge passed down and entrusted to you. I think my magical Italian relatives are more than a few generations back. My Nana is Christian and I think from what I can gather, all of the relatives follow that same path. Kinda bums me out to think there might be a history that was lost over the years that I won’t be able to discover :frowning:

6 Likes

Ok I’m sorry if that’s the case that if there was lost knowledge! Is is an honor! :trophy: It’s on my grandfather’s side on up. My mother didn’t want nothing to do with it. I said, here I want everything!!! :sweat_smile: Ever since, I’ve been studying! There’s a deck of, I believe are rare tarot cards. Quite a few grimoires, magical tools and old candles that I won’t use. I have an altar with most of it.

11 Likes

And old brass candle holders that have sentimental value. When I was little, that was what sparked my interest in the craft. Now I have them and my little ones are getting more into it.

9 Likes

Truly sounds enchanting! Out of everything I have looked up, I have to say that I firmly believe tarot(or regular cards) originated in Italia. I’ve seen some link it to the Egyptians but there hasn’t been much factual evidence to support that. I can only imagine what their decks looked like back then.

Good idea not to use the candles, lol. You never know what Gramps might’ve banished and such :stuck_out_tongue: I hope that is not offensive in anyway!

8 Likes

Not offensive at all! You’re right, I don’t know what intent was placed with the candles. I have to sort through a couple boxes to find the deck. Bc I’m packing and going through stuff to move. Hopefully I’ll find it and I’ll send you a pic of the deck.:ok_hand:

7 Likes

That would be awesome! I just got done unpacking from moving a month or two ago. I think it’s so fun to unpack, packing though, not so much lol.

6 Likes

I’ve never heard of this! Do you have any more information?

This I can totally identify with. If you keep saying that black cats bring bad luck then you’re creating that bad luck for yourself every time you see a black cat. Superstition can be a powerful tool if we harness it for the positive instead the negative!

10 Likes

Wow! That sounds amazing! It’d be great if you don’t mind sharing what you find…

My family has a “macabre book” that my mother hates and she says she’s going to throw it away. I said noooo! I think it’s mostly letters from ancestors that passed away and it makes her really sad so she wants to get rid of it.

8 Likes

I’ve seen so many ways to categorize witches- like the 100 or more kinds of witches in some of the other videos! I like this approach for its simplicity, @Francisco!

I agree! Some people find security and reassurance in labels while others may feel restricted by them. I personally love the labels, but I also like to be eclectic and switch them out or change them constantly! :laughing: I think it’s good to have labels as well as the choice to use them or not :+1:

This is what I heard too! Although the exact beginning of tarot cards seems to be pretty veiled in mystery. Ohh, I would love to see some of the ancient decks! Maybe someday there will be more information about the earliest decks and their origins- although to be honest, the mystery is part of the appeal of tarot decks! :grin: :two_hearts: :flower_playing_cards:

9 Likes

Yes, I love unpacking and sorting through and deciding where to put everything. I love to categorize.

6 Likes

I love reading about these topics, I’m in now way ready to decide what kind of witch I am because I feel like I have a lot of learning and practicing to do before I make such a decision. I am enjoying learning about the craft though and with different perspectives of it. I just finished Scott Cunningham’s book about Wicca and the Solitary Practitioner. I have a book from Starhawk coming soon to start reading too.

I don’t believe that I really need a label though. I am happy with Wiccan or just Witch. I don’t know if that will change, but I am content with it right now.

Blessed Be!

10 Likes

Very right on!! Good article @Francisco

6 Likes

I believe you are looking for the Strega? @janelle a good author to read about Italian Witchcraft would be Raven Grimassi, a Strega himself. He has a few books on it, and they are all good.

6 Likes

I am a WITCH, no other titles, as a witch, I follow the seasonal cycles of the earth, use herbs for healing of man and beast, believe in the elements, and I seriously believe in the rule of 3, (KARMA) I love Druidry, Wicca and Neo Pagans, don’t do much Aagard, Odin or. I believe in all the gods and goddesses of time… they are there to teach you whether they ever truly existed or not. I believe in the powers of the mind, and the workings of the universe with me. So, I am a witch who by the way loves Gothic black lacey clothing, and olde worlde furnishing, even if I a little boho.

17 Likes

@roxanne I have friends that say I am hippie chic, I’m a witch that also loves gothic clothing! I’m kind of everywhere but always with the rule of 3, the Triple Goddess and Horned God. I like the hippie chic, that’s from when I would wear my bells, charms, and crystals in my hair, I always had incense of some kind to work with on my own. I love soaking in all of the new information I have available to me about my path that is turning into a beautiful journey.

9 Likes

@roxanne, if you have some free time, check out the youtube channel of Inner Alchemy Postmodern Witchcraft. He is a practitioner of Italian Folk magic and breaks down the difference between Strega, Stregoneria, and Stregheria.

7 Likes