The concept of the soul (TW death/afterlife)

Do you believe in the concept of the soul and if so, what form does it take?

Photo from BBC Science Focus Magazine

I thought that this may be an interesting topic for discussion as it something that manifests in so many different ways across different beliefs and cultures.I started off by looking at the Oxford English Dictionary, which provided this definition:

"In Christianity and other religions, the spiritual or immaterial part of a person considered in relation to God and religious or moral precepts."

It refers specifically to Christianity and other religions. The fact that Christianity is mentioned by name and everything else is “other religions” gave me the impression of the soul being a prodimently Christian construct, so I then looked up the Cambridge English Dictionary, which defined the soul as:

"The spiritual part of a person that some people beleive continues to exist in some form after the body has died or the part of a person that is not physical…"

I much preferred this because there is no specific religion or God mentioned, implying that we all have a soul (if we choose to believe so) no matter what beliefs we have. Instead it highlights the idea of it being part of a person that lives on.

The Soul in the Major Religions

Here are some perspectives on the soul from the major world religions:

In Chrisitianity, the soul is separate from the physical body and continues to exist after death. The divine grace of God can redeem the soul from sin, allowing it to enter Heaven. Unrepentant souls enter Hell.

In Islam, the soul is called the Ruh. It is immortal and is breathed into the body by God (Allah) at the time of birth.j Islam teaches that the soul will be judged by God after death and either rewarded with paradise or punished in hell, depending on actions in life.

In Judaism, the focus is on actions and purpose during life rather than what might happen after death. This means that ideas and beliefs about the soul and the afterlife can vary. However, there is wide acknowledgement that the soul does exist. It is called Neshama and is seen as a divine and eternal essence that is connected to people. Body and soul are linked and are both important. It is important to look after the physical body as it hold the soul as it undertakes its purpose in life.

In Hinduism, there is a concept called Atman. It is a Sanskrit word that can be translated as the eternal self, spirit or soul. It is considered eternal, indestructible, and distinct from the physical body or ego. It is the true self and exists before birth and after death. It is reborn through reincarnation until it achieves Moksha (liberation).

In Buddhism, the idea of a permanent, unchanging is not accepted. Infact, it is summed up in one of the 3 marks of existence called Anatta, which means no self or no soul. Instead, Buddhism teaches that we are made of five Skhandas: body, feelings, traits, thoughts and consciousness. An energy carries karma and moves to a new body upon death until the cycle of Samsara is broken and Nirvana is achieved.

In Sikhism, the soul is called Atma and is given to all humans and animals by God (Waheguru). It is a part of Waheguru within the body. After death, the Atma is reborn into another body until the until the Karmic cycle is broken. It is then reunited with Waheguru. There is little written about what this looks or feels like. It is described as ineffable - it can’t be explained, only experienced.

So some modern religions seem to have beliefs in common about the soul, while others completely dismiss the idea. Buddhism talks more about 5 “parts” that make up a person’s essence, which is interesting as it ties in with beliefs regarding the soul from ancient beleifs:

The Soul in Ancient Beliefs and Philosophies
Norse

The Hugr was the seat of a person’s thoughts, memories, and consciousness. It was a person’s core essence and their identity of a person. In life, it was believed that the Hugr could leave the body during sleep or spiritual experiences. This was also the part of the soul that lived on after death in the realm where the individual was destined to go - this would vary depending on status and actions.

The Fylgja was a spirit or guardian animal linked to a person. It was a protective and guiding force that could appear in dreams or visions. The Fylgja could also be seen as a symbol of a person’s fate or destiny. It followed the person throughout their life, giving guidance. Seeing your Fylgja could give insight into your strengths and challenges.

The Hamr is the physical appearance or shape that a person’s soul takes. It is like a second skin. The Hamr was changeable and could be altered or transformed. It was beleived that people could shape shift by changing their Hamr.

The Hamingja is a mixture of personal luck, fortune, and ancestral spirits. It is often associated with concepts of good fortune, success and prosperity. The Hamingja was believed to be inherited from ancestors and is linked to family lineage. The Hamingja played a role in determining a person’s well-being and success in life. Positive actions would strengthen it while negative actions would weaken it.

Ancient Greece

In Ancient Greece, philosophers theorised abiut the idea of the soul. One theory suggested the Tripartide Soul but this focused more on the nature of the soul during life, not after death:

Logistikon was the part of the soul that was linked with reason, intellect and the ability to think logically. It brought perception and understanding. Plato highlighted the importance of this aspect of the soul because it guided human behaviours and helped them gain wisdom.

Thymoeides was the spirited part of the soul that included emotions, desires and passions. It was the part of the soul that brought courage and ambition as well anger and aggression . This part also brought motivation and the desire of honour and excellence.

Epithymetikon was the part of the soul that was linked with physical desires, pleasures and appetites. It brought bodily needs like hunger, thirst and sexual desires. This was the primal and instinctual part of the soul and was linked to the need for satisfaction.

Although these focused on the soul in the living, Ancient Greeks did believe in an immortal soul that existed in some form after death. The soul would stand before Hades for judgement. Judgement was based on actions of the person when they were alive.

Ancient Rome

In ancient Rome, some.of the beliefs were borrowed from the Greeks,.meaning there are similarities between Roman and Greek views. There were also ideas and beliefs that were distinctly Roman.

The Romans believed that humans had a physical body (Corpus) and an immortal soul (Anima). The soul was a separate, spiritual entity and was distinct from the physical body.

Animus referred to the soul or the animating presence within a living thing. It was the force that animated the body and was linked with consciousness, thought and emotion. The animus continued to exist after death.

Like the Greeks, the Romans believed in an afterlife where souls would go after the death of the physical body. The Underworld was ruled by Pluto. The souls would face judgment which would determine its destiny.

It was widely believed that the souls of ancestors could influence the lives of their living descendants. Ancestral spirits were honoured through prayers, offerings and commemorative rituals.

Ancient Egypt

The concept of the soul in existed in Ancient Egypt, where it was to be made of 8 “parts”.

The Khet (Khat) was the physical body. It was mummified after death ensure its continued existence.

The Ka was the vital essence that brought the difference between being alive and being dead. It was sustained after death through food offerings.

The Ba was the Personality of an individual. It took the form of a bird with the person’s head, allowing it to travel between the worlds of the living and dead. It left the body upon death but would return to the physical body each day to receive sustenance from food offerings.

The Ab(ib) was the heart, the seat of emotions and thoughts. It was the only organ not removed from the body during mummification. In the afterlife, the heart was weighed against the Feather of truth. If it was lighter, the soul was granted access to the afterlife. It it was heavier, it was fed to a creature called the Ammit and the soul was stuck in Duat (the underworld) for eternity.

The Ren was simply a person’s name. As long as your name is written down and spoken out aloud, you were remembered. Therefore, names were written on tomb walls and carved on statues. Physically removing a name from a monument (e.g. painting over or chiselling it out) was a way of attacking a person in the afterlife.

The Akh is the union of the Ka and Ba which occurs only after a successful weighing of the heart. It represented the individual in an elevated and glorified state.

The Saku is the glorified spiritual body of the deceased in which the Akh resided. It was energised by the Sekhet, a “life force” for the soul.

The Sheut is your shadow. It was considered part of your because it is always attached to you. It represented your physical presence and offered protection in life and in the afterlife.

Celtic

I found it quite difficult to find specific information regarding the soul in Celtic practice but did find information about a concept called the Anam Cara.

Anam Cara translates to soul friend or soulmate in English. The idea originated in Ireland and refers to a deep spiritual friendship or connection. An anam cara is someone with whom you share a deep bond of mutual understanding, trust, and love. It is a relationship that goes beyond ordinary friendships and is believed to have a spiritual dimension.

An anam cara is seen as a companion or guide who supports and nurtures your spiritual growth and wellbeing. They are someone with whom you can be your authentic self. An anam cara is thought to help you discover and embrace your true nature, providing companionship and guidance on your spiritual journey.

Caring for Your Soul

Self-Reflection
Take time for introspection and self-reflection. Allow time for moments of quiet and solitude to explore your inner thoughts, emotions, and values. Reflect on your life experiences and how they have shaped who you are.

Mindfulness and Meditation
Try some mindfulness practices or meditation to build a sense of presence in the here and now and to build your self awareness. These also help you to connect with your inner self, reduce stress, and seek clarity.
20 Mindfulness Activities for Adults, Worksheets, & Questions

https://youtu.be/QfPUzAt2GrU?si=oU6x2-OOpAsBulrX

Meaningful Activities
Participate in activities that align with your own values and bring you joy and a sense of fulfillment. This could include hobbies, creative activities, spending time in nature, helping others and acts of kindness.

Positive Relationships
Surround yourself with people who uplift and support you. Nurture relationships that are meaningful, genuine, and nourishing to your soul. Have deep conversations and establush meaningful connections with others.

Physical Health
Engage in regular exercise, eat a balanced diet, get enough sleep, and prioritise self-care activities that promote your own physical health.

Wisdom and Inspiration
Explore philosophical and spiritual teachings that seem to call out to you. Read books, listen to podcasts or go to workshops that inspire and expand your understanding of life and the human experience.

Gratitude
Acknowledge and appreciate the positive aspects of your life. Focus on what you do have, not what you dont have.

Solitude
Dont be afraid to allow yourself to spend time alone without distractions. This can provide an opportunity for self-discovery, and self-reflection.

Something Greater
Try to connect with something greater than yourself. This could involve religious or spiritual rituals, connecting with nature or exploring your own spiritual beliefs.

Self Reflection
This whole conflict can be difficult or complex to reflect on and write down. I have provided some reflection questions that may help you to collect your thoughts:

How do you define the soul?

Are souls unique to humans, or do other living beings have them as well?

Does the soul have a specific purpose or function?

Is it connected to our emotions, thoughts, or identity?

Do you think the soul is part of the body or does it exist separately?

Have religious or spiritual traditions influenced your beleifs about the soul?

How does the belief in the soul influence our perception of death and the afterlife?

Are there any personal experiences that support the existence of the soul?

For me, I see the soul as the energy or spark that dwells within us and “animates” our physical body. Its almost like the battery or electrical current that makes our bodies work. I do think though that we have a unique battery, one that makes us act, think and react in a particular way. Energy cant be created or destroyed, only changed and it makes me wonder if our spark undergoes changes after death linked to our past actions. Does this changed battery then enter a new body to provide a new and improved experience? Perhaps this repeats until the energy is pure enough to achieve a status or level that it allows it to pass through the earthly barrier into somewhere much better. It’s a bit like the idea of “judgement” but rather than a punishment if its not deemed pure, it is given another chance.

I don’t believe that this is unique to humans. This energy exists in everything…animals, plants, the flowing rivers and will continue to exist even when the physical body no longer does. Energy can be felt, it can be seen, heard, smelled…perhaps that is why some are able to sense the presence of loved ones who have passed. Perhaps this is why we can look at a dried river bed and still hear it rushing and flowing or why I will hear my dog snoring, even after their physical body has gone. This is how they continue to live on and ensure they are remembered, a but like the Egyptian idea of making sure your name is written down.

I’m not even sure this makes sense. This was a splurge of words and thoughts that came to me as I considered my own perceptions so I apologise it it makes no sense!

What do you think? What are your ideas and beliefs about the soul? I would love to hear them but also appreciate that this is very personal and that you may not want to share it with everyone.

I hope you find this both interesting and thought provoking

Blessed be

Alan

Sources

The Concept Of The Soul In Major World Religions - Free Essay Example - Edubirdie

What Do Religions Say About Souls?

Norse Ghosts & the Afterlife - World History Encyclopedia.

The Self and Its Parts - Norse Mythology for Smart People

The Egyptian Soul: the ka, the ba, and the akh

Nine Parts of the Human Soul According to the Ancient Egyptians

Plato's theory of soul - Wikipedia

Mo Anam Cara Meaning

12 Likes

So my thoughts on the soul is kind of similar to yours. I believe everything and everyone has one. But I’m also a big believer in karmic debt. I believe our soul is what holds and releases what debt we owe to karma from this and past lives. We have lessens we need to learn from past lives and that is our debt. If we don’t learn them they stay remembered in our soul.

When we die, our soul goes into another “body” of some sort whether it be human, animal, plant, whatever. We then have the lessons we didn’t learn from all our past lives and any that we added during the last one. Our debt owed to karma. If we learn those lessons the soul no longer holds on to that debt. It has been paid back to karma.

The soul is our energy, or battery, so to speak. It’s what keeps us going from one life to another.

This is just my beliefs. The karmic debt is something I learned studying numerology. It does not state our debt is remembered in our soul, but that is what I believe to be true.

10 Likes

Yes i agree. I think that the soul is sent back to learn lesson it didnt learn before. I dont necessarily view it as a “punishment” or “judgement”, more like “further education and learning” if you like.

11 Likes

Oh I love this. :sparkling_heart: Thankyou for starting this post.

I’m to start training with The College of Psychic Studies in April for mediumship, so this is fantastic. For me, I feel the soul is a part of us that stores our eternal journey through life, and into death as spirit. If there’s unfinished business we can choose to journey life again, or choose to journey as spirit.

I found this on YouTube, another interesting view on soul that I hadn’t considered from a bruja.

11 Likes

Yes!! Exactly. We didn’t learn all the lessons in our past lives so we need to learn them in the next or how ever long it takes.

11 Likes

@tracyS thank you! That is very interesting! Now I wonder, if that we have the choice after we have fulfilled our debt? Or if the person who wrote that book is unaware of our choice?

On a small side note…… I wonder if we tied her hands if she would still be able to talk. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Sorry

11 Likes

@Mystique That’s so funny. :rofl::blush:

10 Likes

Soul the invisible part - the energy of Man that continues to exist and evolve even after death
she returns in a new body to continue her studies until she is ready to join the divine… :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

11 Likes

I feel like if we die in a tragic traumatic way our soul can be trapped and stuck going through the death over and over until someone helps them leave. If we die confused we won’t know which way to go. Or if we have unfinished business or don’t understand we can move on we can’t or won’t.

I think we are shown the the source after death. I mean what “god” “deities” “demons” are . Most likely a source of light I’m guessing.

I don’t know if I necessarily believe in karma or not jury’s out. But I think we have lessons to learn and that may take many lifetimes until our soul is free to move on.

Then our memories are basically wiped when we come back to a new body

10 Likes

@Devenne That’s an interesting point. I lost my wee brother in June through suicide which was a traumatic experience for us but a spiritualist I spoke to said that he is happy and at peace. I have also had dreams and experiences during meditation/reiki where other passed family members (uncle and grandpa) have told me he is OK. I have even had Osiris tell me the same, but he would not let me see him when I asked. He said that he “was not yet ready”. It makes me wonder if he is going through some sort of healing due to his experience.

10 Likes

I think it totally depends. I’m glad he’s well.

Very well may be :heavy_heart_exclamation: :people_hugging:

10 Likes

Awesome information… :thinking: Thanks so much, Alan!

10 Likes

@Devenne I lost my son in a very tragic car accident. He came to me about a year ago and stood by my bed and woke me up. He looked amazing (except his silly ass beard I kept telling him to shave lol). He told me to stop crying every night, that he was doing great and was very happy. I actually fell out of bed trying to hug him. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: he told me I couldn’t touch him. But he reassured me that he had no pain and was good. I asked about afterlife and he said he wasn’t allowed to tell me anything. He told me he loved me to the moon and back and he had to leave. It was reassuring and heartbreaking at the same time. Sooooo. Lol I’m very glad he wasn’t reliving that accident. From the car he was driving I couldn’t imagine him having to do that.

7 Likes

That is a rare and precious experience @Mystique ! I’m sorry you were in a position to need it, but glad it happened for you.

7 Likes

Thank you @georgia I have heard that it is rare. And I’m so glad I got to experience it. I really needed it.

7 Likes

That’s a lovely experience to have. I’m happy for you to have had it. I’m sorry for your loss :people_hugging:

7 Likes

Thank you @Devenne :purple_heart::purple_heart:

7 Likes

@Mystique So beautiful. It’s such a gift when they visit us. My mother had the same experience when her mother died. My mother was 15 when her mother died and had to take on the running of the home, my grandmother (her mum) visited her in the garden where she would sit on the wall. She visited every night until my mom was settled. This all proves spirit is alive. It’s a real comfort to us earthlings :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

That is so awesome @tracyS ! I told some of my family about this and they were ready to have me committed to the insane asylum. :roll_eyes:. So glad I’ve found my people and can talk about things like this now. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

7 Likes

It’s very difficult to find information on Celtic beliefs, you’re right :sweat_smile: There is some evidence that the Celts believed in a soul! I don’t want to hash it all out, but there are many stories across all Celtic nations that point to transmigration of the soul. These were mainly recorded by Greek and Roman philosophers who were studying the Celts, but the stories still matter. This website does a good job of giving a very brief overview of some of the stories → https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/Passing-Through-the-Middle-Death-and-Reincarnation-Amongst-the-Celts

I had never heard of the concept of anamchara, though – thank you for that!

I’ve often found myself wondering what the purpose of a soul is and how it connects to the Divine on a greater scale. I’m going to save these questions for now and may come back and answer them later (if I don’t have an existential crisis! :laughing:)

8 Likes