The incredible edible Onion

The Onion

The Onion is an edible bulb with a pungent taste and smell. Long before farming or even writing was invented, wild onions were a staple in prehistoric diets.
It is believed to have originated in central Asia. Other research suggested it was first grown in Iran & West Pakistan. The original, or the wild onion is now extinct.
But with its loss came the more modern species & perhaps one of the earliest cultivated crops. This Vegetable has been mentioned in some of the oldest Vedic writing from India as early as 5,000 years ago.
In Egypt, writings of he onion can be traced back to 3,500 B.C. They worshiped the onion as symbolizing eternal life and imaged it in their paintings. It was used as food, medicine and in mummification, in fact, Ramses was entombed with onions in his eye sockets.
In the old testament, Numbers 11:5, onions were mentioned.
India as early as the 6th century it was celebrated as medicine, good for diuresis, digestion, the heart, eyes and joints.
Sumerian text dated to about 2500 B.C. Tells of someone plowing over the city governors’ onion patch.
Greeks used them to enhance the performance of their athletes.
The early Roman Empire Author Pliny the Elder wrote of Pompeii’s onions before he was killed by the eruption of the volcano Vesuvius.(1)
Onions are great for working Magick to promote health, Stamina, prosperity, stability, strength, and to absorb illness from the sick. (2)
In *1919 when the flu killed 40 million people. Farmers remained health. Their secret? They placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). A Doctor examining an onion under a microscope found the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the farmers healthy. (3)
The thin, clear skin from the outer layers of an onion can be used to not only stop bleeding, but it works as an antiseptic. Onion juice is a natural antibiotic.
Take a couple of thin slices of onions and rub the face of them with coconut oil. Place them on the bottoms of your feet and wrap them in place with cling wrap. Put on a pair of thick socks and as you sleep with the onion slices on your feet the onions drain your body of toxins. It’s pretty incredible, actually. (4)
And so on until present day the simple plant called onion became the Nobel onion. Food, medicine, magic, miracle.

1. Wikipedia
  2. https://witchdigest.com/26136/the-magic-onion-ring
  3. /The Magic Healing Power Of Onions – Paul Chong's Blog
  4. The Magic of Raw Onions
9 Likes

This is so true! My husband who’s culture is based on many ancient herbal traditions use onion for a variety of things such as they cut and onion, thread it and hang it about a baby’s crib when they have jaundice. Remember when I had that migraine, well in my husband’s culture they poke holes in the onion and rub it on the forehead. Unfortunately it took me 2 showers to stop smelling like an :onion:. As you mentioned it is put through out the home so yes my husband does that too… only thing I personally don’t like is the raw smell and the raw taste of onions, other wise we put onion and garlic in nearly every dish…

3 Likes

Medicinal, magickal, and delicious! :yum: We don’t eat onions too much here as partner isn’t a big fan of them (oh well!) but they are a wonderful addition to so many dishes.

Gosh, reading this has given me a craving for some french onion soup! :onion: :bowl_with_spoon: :drooling_face:

Thanks so much for sharing, @Garnet! :sparkles:

4 Likes

I forgot I submitted this, I love onions, I put it in almost every thing…well maybe not pie…or chocolate. I’m stopping now, I’m making myself hungry!

4 Likes

He’s smart to follow the old ways. Besides, that onion shocked your sinuses if nothing else

3 Likes

CDC Warns About Salmonella

Onions from a particular source, see article. But I love onions.

“You want me to cook? How the hell am I supposed to cook anything without any $@%&$! onions?” My daughter loves to remind of the night I said this :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

When my sister was born she got jaundiced and mom would have to carry her in for bili-light treatments. My granny was visiting at the time because she had come down for my sister’s birth and mom went to take a nap before the appointment and granny had done stripped my sister naked laid her on a blanket in the sun and the only thing she had on that baby was socks and raw onions. When my mom took her to the appointment that day the doctors told mom she didn’t need the treatment anymore

4 Likes

:joy::joy: I love onions!!! And peppers, and just the right herbs and seasonings. Depending on what I make!! But that’s funny! I’m glad your daughter remembered that :rofl:

4 Likes

People birthed and treated jaundice on babies for centuries, Isn’t it sad that people are relearning what was thrown away as “quaint.”

3 Likes

Ah, kindred spirit! I love peppers, too!

4 Likes

Mmm :yum: I just had some raw peppers with ranch. Red, green, orange, and yellow!!!

5 Likes

I love mini bells

4 Likes