The myth of lilith

Most and most basic evidence of the origin of the mythological symbol of Lilith is found in the Zohar, the Book of Splendor, an old thirteenth-century Jewish cabalistic work. However, with its primordial characteristics, namely the characteristics of the female beautiful demon with long black hair, it exists, even in semen, in Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian, Persian, Arabic, Teutonic and of course, Jewish mythology.

In Sumeria, around the third millennium BC, it is referred to as Lil, spirit of the air but also a destructive wind. In the Semites of Mesopotamia she is clearly named as Lilith. Later this name will be combined with the Hebrew word Layil (Layil), which means night, and will acquire its most definitive characteristics. She becomes the aforementioned female demon of the night, who enslaves men and women who sleep alone, giving them sex dreams, nocturnal orgasms and tormenting reveries. In Syria, in the eighth century BC. about , Lilith, here called a succubus ā€“ a female panda demon, his male is called an incubus ā€“ is identified with an infanticide witch by acquiring this characteristic as well.

The basic myth of Lilith, however, begins with writing. In Genesis 1 27 it is stated: And God created man, in the image of God created he him, male and female created he them. As one can easily see, Adam or Man, but also god, are presented here as androgynous. That is why the Kabbalists argue that when the Blessed One created Adam, the first man, He created him androgynous. This creature had two sexes and two faces, one in each direction. Later the blessed one separated Adam into two beings, giving each a back. Lilith, then, is the feminine part of Adam or Adamach, the feminine Hebrew word for earth and soil, and this original creature was made of these materials.
The separation of the androgynous Adam was done in order to give him a companion, because his experience of the instinctive behavior of the animals of Paradise, i.e. the coming together of each one with his mate, made him aware of his loneliness. So, God took away from Adam his female part to be his companion. During this process, and after the separation had taken place, the imperfect in time creature Lilith received the Luciferian, demonic influence of Satan, with the result that the beings subsequently born by Lilith, after her union with Adam, were diabolical-monstrous. In the Zohar Rabbi Simeon always states: ā€œI found written in an old book that this female was none other than the original Lilith who stayed with him and conceived from himā€. (Zohar I, 34B)

Then, at some point, Lilith left Adam and fled to the deserts of the Red Sea, where she married the Devil. And then Jehovah created, in the known way, that is from Adamā€™s side, his second wife, the submissive Eve. ā€œLilith, to avenge Adamā€™s human wife, induced Eve to taste the forbidden fruit and capture Cain, brother and murderer of Abel,ā€ notes Borges. God punished her for deceiving the innocent Eve by cutting off the legs of the reptile, whose form she had taken. That is why, according to one version, Lilith has no arms and legs for wrapping and hugging.

After her primordial mythological shape, her form varies. An early version presents her with the body of a tantalizingly beautiful woman from head to waist, but from there on down she is a fiery flame. Another version, the most common, wants her from the waist up to always be a seductive, provocative and irresistible woman and from the waist down a reptile. In the Middle Ages it will be met as Lili or Lilou is no longer a snake but a ghost of the night or a monster or demon ā€œwho throws himself on those who sleep alone or walk the deserted streetsā€.
Her most common variant is that of the woman with the hypnotizing beauty, but whose legs, although shapely, are covered with thick, stiff hair, a peculiarity of which she is particularly ashamed. That is why he never exposes them to public view. But when a man happens to see them, it is already too late for him.

As it turns out, Lilith is essentially the primordial, primordial model of the later vampire, whose tainted death bite travels through the ages. In addition to her blood lust, Lilith also has a sick, unholy habit of invisibly stalking couples who meet during the night, intending to steal sperm from them in order to create new demons. She deeply hates human children and their mothers, because hers are hideous and monstrous, so she tries in every way to interfere with their future or even destroy them.

The Jewish myth of Lilith refers to the ancient Greek myth of the androgynous, and it is also not unrelated to the demon Alin of the Greeks of Cappadocia or to those ancient beliefs that generally consider hermaphroditism as the first form of man. Later Jewish traditions call the Lilin demons of the night, creatures corresponding to the Greek strigla, lamia, mormo, Aello, and other similar dark mythical beings.

Many scholars, writers and poets have been inspired by the legend of Lilith. Beings that curl up in forests and waters Sons that flash, daughters that glowā€¦ and other such things have been writtenā€¦ from all of these it is worth mentioning: The Daughter of Lilith (The Daughter of Lilith) by Anatole France (1844-1924) , The soul of Lilith by Maria Corelli (1864-1924) etc.

13 Likes

Very interesting. Didnā€™t know much about Lileth. You are full of wisdom my lovely sister. Blessed be. Thankyou for sharing this with us :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

@tracyS Thank you my sister!

6 Likes

This is fascinating and thanks for sharing.
There is an interesting take on Cain and Lilith in the Book of Nod, the audiobook of which can be found here.

I donā€™t ascribe to Lilith as the demoness baby stealer or the excuse for young men who are ashamed of their teenage nocturnal fantasies.
Understanding monotheistic religions as I do, with their abhorrence of powerful, independent females (possibly due to their having been kept as slaves for hundreds of years under tyrannical female-led religious authorities), I understand Lilith as subjugated to demon-status to punish females for any independent ideas they may have.

For me, the biggest problem with traditional Judeo-monotheism is this - as written, God appears to have been solely male centered.

He is a male god, whose female counterpart was removed (unheard of at the time), who only wanted the company of a single human male. When that male was unsatisfied with the company of a male-only god and chose a submissive female companion instead, god punished him with expulsion.
Thatā€™s the Judeo-creation myth as written.

Itā€™s an ā€˜of men, for men, by menā€™ myth thatā€™s outstanding in itā€™s single-minded devotion to eliminate the female gender.

As sold, the Judeo Creation myth is that a male god created everything for a male human cohort to enjoyā€¦the two of them in the garden together for all eternity.

So sweet! :blush:

The female gender, which is the reproductive gender by the way (was human reproduction an after-thought during creation?), we have all been told, was literally NOT part of the original story.

No other creation myth does that to my knowledge.

Non-Jesus based Christian traditionalists follow this same line - that the monotheistic creator only wanted to be with men, which is the reason women are stripped of their natural equal rights, and are even considered ā€˜uncleanā€™ when menstruating.

However, for me, Lilithā€™s story (which technically ends after she calls the true name of El three times and is swept up away from the Garden) was subsequently added to and conflated to terrify women into subservience.

Thanks again for this :kissing_heart:

8 Likes

Ok, question. @AIRAM and @Wysteria_Norn I donā€™t know alot of Lilith. Is she a Goddess, like Hecate, The Morrigan, or is she more Angel/Demon.

Iā€™m getting confused. Where does she fit in the pantheon of the Divine? Thankyou :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Where does she fit in the pantheon of the Divine?

I think that Lilith is unique in that she is the first ā€˜god madeā€™ OT biblical character that was completely vilified and character assassinated - and not by the OT god himself, but by the men who wrote the book.

For me, her place is as the defender of equal rights and justice. The one OT character who refused to submit to truly man-made injustice and was delivered from all the subsequent evil, sin and bloodshed that followed.
Her character exists because the OT god created both at the same time - male and female equally. It was ONLY Adam that wanted a subjugated wife, and that desire led directly to the first murder, bloodshed, chaos, shame, etc**.
According to the account itself, none of that existed prior or during Lilithā€™s time in the Garden. She fled all of that.
So, for me personally and only, I canā€™t ascribe demon status to her at all.
Rather, true divinity.
Thanks

**Note: I believe itā€™s either the Gospel of Moses or Gospel of Adam and Eve that describes Adam as being held to account by demons as he is forced to watch the judgment of humans due to his behavior in the Garden.

8 Likes

Ok, this is interesting, I always feel that parts of the biblical story are missing as several characters like David, talk of the history of the Jews, and other texts. This makes sense as I see God, to be a creator that makes beautiful creatures both physical and spirit. Itā€™s mankind that seems to spoil stuff and put their own spin on things. I accept creatures of all natureā€™s have freewill so can turn evil, (I do believe in demons), but I never saw Lilith as evil. I have experienced her energy once, quite recently, and it was gentle and reassuring :person_shrugging:I didnā€™t follow up the experience however. Maybe I should do more research on her as thereā€™s so much to the biblical that I donā€™t know, that can really expand my beliefs. Lovely this. Thankyou to @AIRAM for raising this. Got me pondering :thinking: and thankyou @Wysteria_Norn for your knowledge on Lilith. Blessed be :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

what our sister writes completely covers us. Lilith, I read somewhere, is something like Ekati, depending on which path of magic the Witch follows
A deity that I especially loved the Woman, you donā€™t choose her, but She chooses the Witch who will work with Her

7 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m going to learn about her due to my little experience which came out of the blue. Thankyou my sister. This discussion has been very enlightening :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes