The Three Realms of Hades đź–¤

What is Hades?

Most mythologies from around the world have some form of resting place for the dead. Greek mythology is no different! The name given to the Greek Underworld is Hades, a name also given to the Greek God Plouton. This resting place is one of three realms of the Cosmos in Greek mythology. It also contains three realms on its own, each with specific parameters for the spirits that reside there.

The Underworld is separated into different planes of existence, each one set apart for different spirits of the dead. Among the Underworld are also several rivers that hold specific meaning and have mystical powers. The dead are not the only residents of Hades, though they are the only mortals. Among the Divine in Hades are Plouton (also known as Hades), Persephone, Hekate, Nyx, and many more.

Hades is described as being a dark place where the rays of the sun never shine. Depending on the myth you read, it is located either at the edges of the Earth (associated with Oceanus) or underground. Both locations are generally considered unreachable and unseen, further lending to the perpetual state of darkness that covers Hades.

Old Myth Versus New Myth

PlatoVsHomer

There are several different interpretations of the Greek afterlife. The first and oldest interpretation comes from Homer. This interpretation says that when a person dies, their soul (psyche) is removed from their body and transported to the Underworld. Homer’s time did not see the afterlife as a place of separation – there were no three realms in his Iliad or Odyssey. Instead, the dead were all grouped together, flitting around as spirits in the dark mists of the Underworld.

She came to deep-flowing Okeanos (Oceanus), that bounds the Earth, where is the land and city of the Kimmeroi (Cimmerians), wrapped in mist and cloud. Never does the bright sun look down on them with his rays either when he mounts the starry heaven or when he turns again to earth from heaven, but baneful night is spread over wretched mortals. Thither we came and beached our ship, and took out the sheep, and ourselves went beside the stream of Okeanos until we came to the place of which Kirke had told us.

– The Odyssey, Book 11 (the Nekyia) – Sourced from Theoi.com written ~ 750BCE.

The divisions of the realms came later in the time of Plato, approximately 800 years after Homer wrote The Odyssey. With the writing of Plato, we are introduced to several different realms of the Greek Underworld, each a final resting place for the dead depending on the way they lived their life. These realms are Tartarus, Elysium, and the Asphodel Meadows.

Who rules Hades?

The ruler of Hades is the Greek God of the Underworld, Plouton. He is often referred to as Hades as well, as speaking his name (Plouton) was thought to bring misfortune to those who said it. Hades is a child of the Titans and a brother to Zeus and Poseidon. When the three brothers split the realms, Zeus was given the sky, Poseidon was given the Sea, and Hades was given the Underworld.

[art by NoFlutter on DeviantArt]

It is said that he was rarely seen outside his realm, choosing instead to spend his time ruling over the realm of the dead. He is not depicted as a torturer or enemy of the dead. Instead, it is said he is benevolent, treating the dead with kindness and dignity. It is Hades’ job to maintain the realm and ensure the safety of the spirits who reside there.

The Rivers

Rivers and bodies of water play a large role in Greek mythology. It is no surprise that several rivers are seen in the Underworld, each with a specific purpose. What is interesting to me is that water is connected with life, yet water also runs through the Underworld, a land of death.

The River Styx

Possibly one of the most well-known rivers in the Underworld, The River Styx is the only named river in Homer’s Iliad. It serves many purposes and the river is also considered a Goddess in her own right. In Greek Mythology, the River Styx is the water in which the Gods swear their oaths. An oath given over the River Styx is unbreakable. In later myths, it is said to be the entrance to the Underworld over which Charon ferries the souls of the dead. To some, it is also known as the river of hatred.

Acheron

Known as the river of misery or woe, The Acheron is mentioned in early sources of poetry but not in much detail. The story of The Acheron changes depending on the mythology you read. Some sources say that Charon ferries the dead over the Acheron instead of the River Styx. Others say that the Acheron was a lake instead of a river (or it was both at the same time!) An interesting note is that Pausanias, a Greek traveler and geographer, described a river named Acheron in Italy which is associated with necromantic rituals.

The Pyriphlegethon/Phlegethon

This river is the river of blazing-fire and it appears in Homer’s writing once where it is described as flowing into the Acheron. Then, in Plato’s writing, it is written that the Pyriphlegethon flows into the deepest pits of Tartarus and is associated with punishment.

The Cocytus

This river only has a few mentions as well, just like the Pyriphlegethon. Homer says that this river is a branch of the River Styx and flows into the Acheron. Plato, on the other hand, states that the Cocytus is shaped like a circle, flowing into Tartarus and associated with the punishment of murderers.

The Lethe

Lastly, we have the Lethe, a river of forgetfulness. This river gets its name from the Goddess of Forgetfulness and Oblivion - Lethe. Not much is written about this river, though it is said that a poplar branch dipped in the water of Lethe became the symbol of Hypnos, the God of Sleep.

The Realms

If you follow Plato’s mythological stories then you know there are three realms in Hades. Each realm is home to different types of spirits depending on how they lived their lives – or if they are Divine. These three realms are not levels as you might imagine in Dante’s Inferno. Instead, I imagine that entering Hades through the River Styx, you would see rivers flowing in different directions in the caves. Each river takes you to a different section of Hades.

Tartarus

The existence of Tartarus depends on the mythology you read. In some stories, Tartarus is another name for Hades itself. In others, Tartarus is a realm all on its own. This realm is described as being extremely far under Hades, almost as far down as you could go. In a book titled The Greek Way of Death, the author says that “night is poured around it in three rows like a collar round the neck, while above it grows the roots of the earth and of the unharvested sea.”

– image taken from Google Photos Reviews for the Bend, Oregon, Lava River Cave –

I have been in a realm such as this in a lava cave in Oregon. It was so dark that we needed flashlights to explore. Without the flashlights, there was no light whatsoever. Below us was a dirt floor. Above us was Earth, hardened with holes created by old lava flows that plowed its way through the Earth.

Tartarus is the realm of wicked creatures and people. The most famous inhabitants of Tartarus are the Titans who Zeus cast into Tartarus along with his father, Cronos. According to Plato, souls are judged after death and Tartarus is where the wicked receive their divine punishment.

Asphodel Meadows

Scholars are not sure what the Asphodel Meadows look like, but mythology says that Asphodel Meadows is where the majority of the dead reside. The name appears as far back as Homer’s Odyssey, but there are not any descriptions of the meadows themselves. Some people believe that Asphodel Meadows is completely neutral, meant for the people who lived mediocre lives. Others believe that the souls who enter Asphodel Meadows drink from the River Lethe first, thus losing their identity and being completely neutral themselves.

[a field of asphodels in Mervent-Vouvant forest in France – image source]

Elysium

Lastly, we have Elysium. This realm of Hades is reserved for those who lived valiant lives, the heroes of Greek life. It is generally thought of as a Utopia where Greek heroes, demi-Gods, and distinguished people would go when they died. It is described a few different times in mythology and seem like a good place to be.

…to the Elysian plain…where life is easiest for men. No snow is there, nor heavy storm, nor ever rain, but ever does Ocean send up blasts of the shrill-blowing West Wind that they may give cooling to men.

– Homer, Odyssey

And they live untouched by sorrow in the islands of the blessed along the shore of deep-swirling Ocean, happy heroes for whom the grain-giving earth bears honey-sweet fruit flourishing thrice a year, far from the deathless gods, and Cronos rules over them

— Hesiod, Works and Days

The good receive a life free from toil, not scraping with the strength of their arms the earth, nor the water of the sea, for the sake of a poor sustenance. But in the presence of the honored gods, those who gladly kept their oaths enjoy a life without tears, while the others undergo a toil that is unbearable to look at. Those who have persevered three times, on either side, to keep their souls free from all wrongdoing, follow Zeus’ road to the end, to the tower of Cronus, where ocean breezes blow around the island of the blessed, and flowers of gold are blazing, some from splendid trees on land, while water nurtures others. With these wreaths and garlands of flowers they entwine their hands according to the righteous counsels of Rhadamanthys, whom the great father, the husband of Rhea whose throne is above all others, keeps close beside him as his partner

— Pindar, Odes

Goethe’s Arrival in Elysium - by German painter František Nadorp

My Thoughts

I have always been interested in the darker aspects of mythology and it should come as no surprise that Hades – both the God and the Underworld – have always piqued my interest. Learning about the differences in the realms has been a thought-provoking experience, especially since there is a clear distinction between Homer’s mythology and Plato’s mythology. There was no distinction between the spirits of the dead in Homer’s mythology. Everyone was treated the same when they died. It wasn’t until later when Plato started writing about Hades that realms were introduced and Divine judgment came into play upon death.

I am getting a really strong urge to do some sort of work with Hades. Honestly, it has come and gone for a very long time but it is odd for me as someone who has been so tied to the Irish Celtic pantheon for so long. It is worth exploration, for sure, and I know there is a New Moon coming up. If this happens, I will do my best to share those experiences with you!

Sources and Further Reading

– Greek underworld - Wikipedia

– HADES - The Underworld of Greek Mythology

– Hades, Greek God of the Dead, King of the Underworld – Spells8

This is my challenge entry for 🏛 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Greek & Roman Traditions and Magick

13 Likes

I wondered what you would end up doing your entry on!!! Very cool and so much information! I’ve bookmarked it and will delve in further after breakfast and probably have more to add! Amazing entry! :grey_shades_heart:

7 Likes

This is wonderful. I really enjoyed this. Thankyou :green_heart:

7 Likes

I love this description of him. I think it’s too easy to confuse or misassociate him with something out of Dante’s Inferno.

I would not be able to do that. At all. :laughing: Closest I’ve ever come was a mine cart ride a half mile into an abandoned mine and that was lit somewhat. Took all I had to not freak out when I looked back and couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

How exciting!! I hope you have a pleasant introduction and look forward to hearing about it if you choose to do this!

7 Likes

Such a great piece, Megan! The world needs both dark and light, life and death to survive. Hades didn’t serve as the judge of the dead, that is the jobs of Minos, Rhadamanthus, and Aeacus, but the guardian of the dead, ensuring they receive the peace and rest they deserve.

I think the most important thing I learned from my time working with him was regarding boundaries. He guards the boundaries between the living and the dead, which is crucial for maintaining the natural order of things. He taught me that boundaries are just as important in my own life. I have learned to set boundaries and not let them be trampled on.

7 Likes

Very well said

6 Likes

Don’t mind me swooping in to enable - this sounds like an adventure, and one perfect for a new moon too! :star_struck: :new_moon: :sparkles: :compass:

Thank you for sharing such a lovely and informative piece on Hades. If you do decide to pursue more, please keep us updated (if you can)! :blush: :heart:

4 Likes

Thank you! :heart: I wasn’t quite sure where my pull for the challenge would take me (and honestly, it’s pulling me in a few different directions lol) but I’ve always been interested in the Underworld. Until this challenge, I didn’t realize that the stories from Homer and Plato differed in the inclusions of the realms and divine judgment!

You’re welcome! :black_heart: I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I’ve always struggled with finding accurate portrayals of him in pop culture and art. Everyone seems to paint him as this evil figure because he’s associated with death, but that’s not been my experience with him at all – I mean, my experience with him is such a limited scope since I’ve never worked with him directly, but the “vibe” I get from him isn’t like that at all.

I think my most-hated depiction of Hades is in the Percy Jackson movie :rofl: (and we’ll just ignore the cartoon Hades from the Disney movie Hercules…)

[scene from Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief movie]

And Hades from the Percy Jackson series takes a close second, but I think it’s only because he reminds me of the actor who portrayed Loki (and other characters) in Supernatural :laughing:

It was an interesting experience, for sure :joy: I think it helped that we weren’t the only group down there and there were always people and lights where we went. I know there are some pictures of it around here on the forum somewhere… I’ll have to see if I can find them :joy:

Thanks! I’m not sure what exactly is going on, but I’m having this weird experience where I’m feeling zero pull from the Celtic deities I’m used to and all the pull toward the Greek deities. I’m trying to figure out if it’s just excitement because it’s a special interest and the challenge was fun or if it’s something more lol

Thank you - and thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences! I’ve heard from more than one person that Hades is very big on boundaries and teaches His followers to stand up for themselves or leave when necessary.

I definitely will as soon as I know what’s happening myself :joy:

4 Likes

That is a really nice entry! And for a god that let’s say is not the most famous one.

We don’t know the exact morphology but the river is real and a site of Natura 2000 (Network of nature protection areas in European Union) and the river meets other two smaller ones, Cocytus and Pyriphlegethon, and at the place they meet is the Nekromanteion, the oracle of the Dead.

6 Likes

I did read this, as well! It’s so cool how the mythology aligns with the rivers and places in the natural landscape :heart:

5 Likes

Sometimes it can be scary if i am honest :sweat_smile: I think I was 17 when I went to the oracle and you could feel the energy there. I think I have photos somewhere, if I find them i will share them
Also, there is this local belief, that if you cross the river on foot and drink from one of the springs you will be lucky and healthy. Pretty neat for the river of the dead :rofl:

6 Likes

Beautiful entry, @MeganB. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: You need to do these more often. :grin: I mean… I appreciate how in-depth you went and I love that it’s about Hades. :black_heart:

It’s sad that this needs to be said, but I’m glad that you did. :black_heart:

But he’s the best character in the whole movie. :rofl:

That reminds me of some Hercules movie memes my partner shared with me the other day.

5 Likes

haha yeah, you’re not wrong! I can imagine the energy that’s there would be intense in more ways than one. I’d love to go there one day if I can manage it - thank you for sharing about it!

Believe me, the list of post ideas (for both Spells8 and my own blog) are enormous :joy: I think my blog has about 36 saved drafts with titles and a basic description of what I was going to write about! I just need to find a spell that will give me more hours in the day - or make me not need to sleep :rofl:

I’m glad you like the post! :heart: And you’re right - Hades is the best character in Hercules :joy: I just wish he wasn’t blue and on fire lol

5 Likes

I will niggle a little bit about the second meme and Persephone.

In his chariot drawn by coal-black
steeds he rose up through a chasm in the earth, and grasping the maiden by the wrist set her beside him. He bore her away weeping, down to the
underworld. The high hills echoed her cry and the depths of the sea, and her mother heard it

Page 75 of Edith Hamilton’s classic reference book Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes

The tales I’ve read suggest she was taken against her will and depending on which story you read she was either tricked by Hades into eating the pomegranate seed or did so of her own choice due to hunger which bound her to Hades for part of the year.

But that’s just the mythology nerd pointing out details since I’ve been spending time reading through them again.

Not to dis Hades, just suggesting they all have complicated stories, just as we humans do.

5 Likes

Oh gosh, I’m in the same boat. I haven’t blogged in about a year now. :grimacing:

But I have a post idea that I might actually see through to the end. And then I can go back and finish all those other 60% finished posts. :laughing: Eek!

True. They did him dirty with that design.

I like the design for Zagreus in the Hades game. More so than the actual Hades.

He’s the image of Hades in my head. :laughing: And I like that he and Cerberus get along so well.

Ah, so I wasn’t imagining things. :thinking: My knowledge of Persephone’s history is still quite spotty. Thank you for pointing that out. :black_heart:

I appreciate the mythology nerdery a lot! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

This is exactly true. Studying the mythos of Hades and Persephone gets complicated when others have factored in more modern interpretations. I have seen people say that there’s no way Persephone would have eaten the pomegranates unknowingly. I’ve seen some say that she was involved in the plot to steal her away, being an active participant in her marriage to Hades.

Then there are those who stick to the original mythos and the literal interpretation of it, stating that Zeus gave Hades permission to steal Kore away and take her as his captive wife. Others say that this sort of behavior – a father giving away his daughter to be “stolen” by her future husband – was a common practice before a wedding. It’s hard to tell sometimes :woman_shrugging: I appreciate your mythology “nerd” as you call it :joy: it’s important to remember these things when studying the mythos of the Gods!

How exciting! :clap: If you ever feel like sharing, I’m all ears (or eyes…because I have to read it…anyway lol)

Ohh, yes, I like this version, too!

5 Likes