Well first of all, congratulations on growing your own plants! I admire anyone who does this…even if your attempts are not producing the results you’d like. Gardening demonstrates to us that gentle care matters, even if only for a few minutes every day or so. The natural world sings! It’s rhythms thrum throughout our lives and are entwined in our daily lives. Growing plants also contributes to the health of our planet and to the person growing them in so many ways…so bravo!
Regarding your plants, I’m happy to offer a bit of advice and hope it will prove useful.
As I understand it, you are growing potted citronella and tomato plants on your deck. Now that you have the plants in soil, I’d recommend you begin by introducing yourself to and welcoming the spirit of your plants. It’s similar to working w/ an animal spirit or specific deity to deepen your understanding of them. Follow these steps:
- Center and ground, in order to have a firm foundation for your own energy.
- Spend a little time looking at the plant, familiarizing yourself with it’s physical structure.
- Reach out with your personal energy and touch the energy of the plant. Does it feel welcoming or not? If not, terminate the session and try again another time. If neutral or agreeable, continue.
- Close your eyes and visualize the plant before you. Introduce yourself and ask the spirit if it is willing to meet you and communicate. Again, if you meet reluctance, thank it and withdraw. If the spirit is amenable, proceed.
- Ask the spirit if it is willing to teach you. Be open to whatever messages it wishes to communicate. Remember to thank the spirit at the end of each session.
This sharing may take place over an extended period of time. Care for the plants as you learn from it, make it offerings of whatever it seems to like (water? shiny crystals? rocks? music?), and acknowledge your gratitude frequently. Also be aware that the plant may just want to hang out. It might not have something to communicate, but it may enjoy your company. As you get to know its energy, you may just want to hang out with it too.
As part of your deep dive into a plant’s energies, whether you are communicating with the plant spirit or not, care for it with awareness. Don’t just water it and turn its pot; allow your energy to reach out and touch the plant’s energy every time you care for it. The spoken word creates sound waves, which plants can physically feel, much the way your eardrum vibrates when sound waves hit it. We project energy when we speak too; emotion and other kinds of energy infuse our words. Plants, being organic creatures with energy of their own, can respond to that.
So, as you can tell, connecting your energy with your plant’s energies is first and foremost in my opinion. Once you’ve introduced yourself, it’s my belief that you’ll have a much better sense of what physical care your plants need. Of course, reading up on potted citronella and tomato plant care is helpful from the practical sense as well (if you haven’t already done this ).
Anyhow, I hope this information is useful for you and will help you to cultivate beautiful, healthy plants, but more importantly in my mind, a beautiful sharing of energies between you and your plant’s spirits.
Incidentally, citronella oil encourages clearing of the mind by the release of energy of punishment and distrust that creates anger, frustration and separation from self and source.
Tomatoes help protect from negative influences and eating them inspires love and passion. They can also be used in place of apples in many magickal spells.
So, great choices on your plants Ailey and best of luck to you!
All the best,